New car checklist

Hi all,

Since my VRS is now confirmed and I've never bought from new before I thought I'd try and make up a tick list for things to check before driving merrily away.

If you can think of things to add to this then please do - it'd be good to end up with something definitve that we all could use.

My initial list is as follows.....

 Vehicle Registration Document

 Road Tax

 Car Service History Book (will be empty of course)

 Car Handbook

 Car Radio Instruction Book (if not part of main manual)

 Warranty Documentation

 2 Sets Of Keys (Check batteries working for both sets)

 Radio Code (if applicable)

 Key Number

 Spare Tyre (Check Brand New (if ordered))

 Radio + CD Working

 Lights & Indicators Working

 Jack In Boot (+ Other Tools)

 Alloy Wheel Locking Nut (If Applicable)

 3 year servicing document

 Breakdown cover document

 Full tank petrol (or as much as we can get)

 Mats (if ordered)

 Check all bodywork and tyres for defects in panels and paintwork

 Ensure car is set to Variable servicing

This is what I've come up with - please feel free to delete or add as you see fit.

cheers

Chris.

Check all options ordered are actually fitted.

Check the final figures money wise are what you signed up to 3+ months ago.

Service book should be stamped for PDI?

I guess the variable servicing line should read "Ensure car is set to requested servicing routine" is this is a guide for others too.

Vehicle registration doc for a new car comes in the post to you later if I recall correctly.

5 bolts in all wheels.

Not being funny but has anyone on here actually gone to pick up a brand new car and found it did not have all its wheel bolts/nuts?

I'd think twice about going back to the same dealer for any servicing if that was the case!

Dealer will hate you? Nothing unreasonable in the list so far!

In August 1993 I got a bunch of flowers "for the wife" when I went to pick up my shiny new Citroen ZX.

Nice thought but I wasn't married and in the end I was paying for them!

Hi all,

Since my VRS is now confirmed and I've never bought from new before I thought I'd try and make up a tick list for things to check before driving merrily away.

If you can think of things to add to this then please do - it'd be good to end up with something definitve that we all could use.

This is what I've come up with - please feel free to delete or add as you see fit.

cheers

Chris.

These are the items that I would add to your list.

1. Ensure that the DRL's are switched on

2. " " " 2nd ns. rear fog lamp is switched on

3. Check ALL the electrics - ie. heater/air con/rear window heater/wipers etc,etc,etc.

4. Obtain 2 dealer keyring tags.

5. Check all fluid levels.

Not being funny but has anyone on here actually gone to pick up a brand new car and found it did not have all its wheel bolts/nuts?

I'd think twice about going back to the same dealer for any servicing if that was the case!

I noticed mine was missing a locking wheel nut a month after I got it. Two of those weeks was spent in an airport secure lock up. I didn't look for them at the time (why would you?).

Suspected it was never fitted or was never tightened properly.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/34815-thompson-potter-ltd-blairgowrie/page__view__findpost__p__961561

Car has been back a few times without problem. I've always regretted staying calm in the showroom, I should have just gone ballistic in front of the other customers.