Calming the Climatronic down a bit?

ejstubbs

Does anyone else find that the Climatronic is a bit over-enthusiastic, especially now that the weather is getting warmer? I've tried setting mine to the 'LOW' mode as described on page 103 of the manual but the fan still seems to be blowing stronger than I find comfortable.

Maybe it's because I like to keep my car a bit cooler than the 22C that they recommend in the handbook. I prefer to keep mine at about 19C - much warmer than that and I start to feel a bit drowsy, which is obviously not a good thing. Even on the 'LOW' setting the Climatronic usually runs the fan with three LEDs lit which, with the A/C running and the air always seeming to be directed to the face level vents, means sitting in a cold draft. It doesn't seem to matter how I direct the vanes in the vents, I always seem to get a cold blast in my face, on my neck or worst of all freezing my fingers on the wheel. I've tried closing down the face-level vents but if I adjust them so that the air flow is at an acceptable level (ie not much) then they get annoyingly noisy.

At the moment I basically don't bother with the automatic setting on the Climatronic. The most comfortable setting for me seems to be no more than two LEDs on the fan (more usually just one) with the air flow directed to the windscreen only (and possibly the feet if it's cold outside).

I like the other automatic stuff on my Yeti (wipers and headlights) but the Climatronic seems way out of whack for me. Is there any way to "tune" it (eg through VCDS) so that it actually keeps the cabin comfortable for my taste?

Edited by ejstubbs

Ironically I tend to think of mine being the other way and be too slow to cool the car down. I set mine at 20C so we are setting at similar levels. What I tend to do is when it is really warm is lower the windows straight away and keep them down until you get into 3rd gear. That gets some cooler air in, compared to the trapped air that has been steadily warming, and takes a few degrees off straight away. After that you just have to let the Climatronic do its job.

I suppose you could turn the temperature up to 26 or so and then reduce it steadily as you drive. This would reduce the severity of the fan as it would be a more gradual temperature reduction. I tend to find it gets on top of a hot car after about 5 minutes so whilst it may be annoying for that spell it is better than sweating, or glowing as ladies would say

Does anyone else find that the Climatronic is a bit over-enthusiastic, especially now that the weather is getting warmer? I've tried setting mine to the 'LOW' mode as described on page 103 of the manual but the fan still seems to be blowing stronger than I find comfortable.

Maybe it's because I like to keep my car a bit cooler than the 22C that they recommend in the handbook. I prefer to keep mine at about 19C - much warmer than that and I start to feel a bit drowsy, which is obviously not a good thing. Even on the 'LOW' setting the Climatronic usually runs the fan with three LEDs lit which, with the A/C running and the air always seeming to be directed to the face level vents, means sitting in a cold draft. It doesn't seem to matter how I direct the vanes in the vents, I always seem to get a cold blast in my face, on my neck or worst of all freezing my fingers on the wheel. I've tried closing down the face-level vents but if I adjust them so that the air flow is at an acceptable level (ie not much) then they get annoyingly noisy.

At the moment I basically don't bother with the Climatronic. The most comfortable setting for me seems to be no more than two LEDs on the fan (more usually just one) with the air flow directed to the windscreen only (and possibly the feet if it's cold outside).

I like the other automatic stuff on my Yeti (wipers and headlights) but the Climatronic seems way out of whack for me. Is there any way to "tune" it (eg through VCDS) so that it actually keeps the cabin comfortable for my taste?

In the LO setting the Climatronic operates at maximum cooling. The temperature is not controlled in this case and will just keep cooling to the maximum the unit will go. In the Superb you can adjust the fan using the + or - buttons.

In the LO setting the Climatronic operates at maximum cooling. The temperature is not controlled in this case and will just keep cooling to the maximum the unit will go.

The 'LOW' setting isn't on the temperature control. I'm talking about the two possible settings on the AUTO button: press it once and the right-hand LED lights up, press it a second time and the left-hand LED lights up. On that setting the fan runs slower.

In the Superb you can adjust the fan using the + or - buttons.

If you do that then it drops out of AUTO mode. I'm struggling to see the point of the AUTO mode, if the system maintains the temperature at the setting on the dial anyway. That's what I understand happens from reading the manual. I guess I'm just a bit puzzled as to the point of having a button with two settings, neither of which does anything I want!

I'm struggling to see the point of the AUTO mode, if the system maintains the temperature at the setting on the dial anyway. That's what I understand happens from reading the manual. I guess I'm just a bit puzzled as to the point of having a button with two settings, neither of which does anything I want!

Well the AUTO setting of the Yeti's Climatronic maintains that set temperature so when you get into a cold car in the winter it will have the fan on 80% (or something high) when the car reaches a certain temperature to get the interior to your set 22. And then without you realising it will power down to 3 clicks as you stated and just maintain that temperature. In the summer it will immediately blast out cold AC air from the word go until the desired temperature is reached. On a car sans Climatronic you will start to feel too hot/cold and before you know will have to adjust the temperature dial yourself. To then find 10 minutes later it is too hot/cold again... No thanks, I personally LOVE Climatronic for its set-and-forget nature. The two stage AUTO button as you explained just makes more of a noticable draft and noise or not to reach the desired temperature to mainain quicker.

I suspect the system is geared to work at a set-and-forget 22 and not 19 as you prefer. Hence it does not quite live up to expectations.

At the moment I basically don't bother with the automatic setting on the Climatronic. The most comfortable setting for me seems to be no more than two LEDs on the fan (more usually just one) with the air flow directed to the windscreen only (and possibly the feet if it's cold outside).

It really is a big ask to expect the system to maintain 19C on a sunny day with all that glass and black plastic to radiate the heat. The only way any system can try do that is to pump large quantities of icey cold air into the cabin and that is why the fan is running so high creating your cold draft. How else is it going to do it?

Regarding the air being in your face - that is how it works - when it is heating the car the centre vents are turned off and air is distributed to the footwell and the side vents. When it is cooling most air goes to the centre and side vents.

I have found that the best way to operate when you are trying for a large temperature shift is to use recirc and put it on low or high temperature. Put up with the roar of the fan for a few minutes then set the temperature you want and it will settle down much more quickly.

I personally think that the climatronic is fantastic! I set it to 19 or 20 in winter (wearing a coat!) and 20-22 in summer (shirt sleeves).

Well the AUTO setting of the Yeti's Climatronic maintains that set temperature

According to the manual - well, my reading of the slightly stilted translation, anyway - you don't need it set to AUTO to get a set temperature. On page 103 it states: "The automatic mode is switched off by pressing the button for the air distribution or increasing or decreasing the blower speed. The temperature is nevertheless regulated." So the only thing that AUTO does, as far as I can see, is to adjust the fan speed and/or where the air is sent. Since I don't like either of its choices, I think I'm better off with it switched off!

According to the manual - well, my reading of the slightly stilted translation, anyway - you don't need it set to AUTO to get a set temperature. On page 103 it states: "The automatic mode is switched off by pressing the button for the air distribution or increasing or decreasing the blower speed. The temperature is nevertheless regulated." So the only thing that AUTO does, as far as I can see, is to adjust the fan speed and/or where the air is sent. Since I don't like either of its choices, I think I'm better off with it switched off!

Ah. Now that is interesting. So your problem is solved. Just bear in mind this is NOT an efficient way of doing it. The system will try to maintain your 19 degrees but because it now can't alter the fan speed automatically it has to alter the temperature to compensate. And also at the low speeds you prefer it will of course also take much, much longer to reach your desired temperature. But all in all I'd say it sounds then as if the system will work fine at regulating temperature without being on AUTO.

I Absolutely agree! I too use 19 degrees as my standard setting; 22 in winter is just too hot & I wish there was a way to permanently modify the default setting. And the fan does seem very aggressive too. You can fool it sometimes, by increasing the temperature on the dial, then slowly returning it to 1 degree above the desired temperature. The fan will drop 1 led, and then when it gets somewhere near right, you can knock it back to your favourite 19 degrees.

There is a simple way of quickly reducing the high temperature when you first get in the car of course. As long as the outside temperature is lower than the inside, simply open all the windows for a few moments until the temperature drops. And that type of air con is free! There's a quick way of doing this too. Just keep the central locking "unlock" button on the central console pressed and all the windows will lower (just like they do if you keep the unlock button pressed on the remote). And the ignition doesn't need to be on either. When you want to close 'em again, just keep the "lock" side of the button pressed & magically, the windows all rise (for as long as you press the button) until closed.

My main complaint is that the Auto setting seems to direct most of the air flow (summer or winter) to the face level vents which has the effect of drying the eyes - an acknowledged cause of making drivers feel tired earlier. I far prefer the main blast of air to go to the footwell vents, but the Auto won't allow you to do this. Shame really that you can't program this.

Ah well - no car is perfect!

There is a simple way of quickly reducing the high temperature when you first get in the car of course. As long as the outside temperature is lower than the inside, simply open all the windows for a few moments until the temperature drops. And that type of air con is free!

Hahaha... correct. :thumbup: The best way of course is to have the Velux roof fitted and leaving that on tilt when parked (with the rain auto-closure setting activated if need be). All the warm air rises and escapes through the roof BEFORE you get back. So no need to drop all the windows. But the window drop technique is something I do as well to release the trapped warm air if I'd forgotten to tilt the roof!

Hahaha... correct. :thumbup: The best way of course is to have the Velux roof fitted and leaving that on tilt when parked (with the rain auto-closure setting activated if need be). All the warm air rises and escapes through the roof BEFORE you get back. So no need to drop all the windows. But the window drop technique is something I do as well to release the trapped warm air if I'd forgotten to tilt the roof!

Ok Ok rub it in again.....emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

My worry about leaving the hole in the roof open is security. Are you covered on your insurance? It's (almost) like leaving a window open.......

My worry about leaving the hole in the roof open is security. Are you covered on your insurance? It's (almost) like leaving a window open.......

Only if the thief has tiny, tiny hands (like an inch big) and only if he wants to steal things out of my car that is smaller than said inch! :rofl:

Your side windows lose their regidity when they are left open an inch and can thus be easily broken. Not so when they are closed. Same with the sunroof. It is still within its frame so you won't break it that easily and from there you can't really climb in unobtrusively. Thieves need a quick in and out and from the roof to whatever they want in my car is not the same as reaching in through a broken side window... And remember most modern cars including the Yeti has deadlocks. So once in they can't open a door either. I'm also the world's most paranoid person about leaving anything on show in my car. A can of bake beans get put in the boot before I leave my car alone.

So no, worried about theft from that one inch gap I'm not! :D

And remember air can escape through a gap smaller than said inch. So if I was really paranoid about this I can just leave the Velux on half tilt with a gap of about 10mm or so. The difference in interior temperature is still huge when you come back.

My main complaint is that the Auto setting seems to direct most of the air flow (summer or winter) to the face level vents which has the effect of drying the eyes - an acknowledged cause of making drivers feel tired earlier.

Re-reading the manual (again) I noticed the advice to: "Move the air outlet vents ... so that the air flow is directed slightly upwards." I went the whole hog and set all four to maximum upward tilt and it does actually seem to be tolerable that way. I assume cold air will tend to sink so the cooling effect should spread through the cabin rather than being concentrated around your head.

I far prefer the main blast of air to go to the footwell vents

In winter, I'd agree so long as it's warm air. I hate having cold feet, so in summer I wouldn't want chilled air sent that way. Guess I just have sensitive extremities...

...at the low speeds you prefer...

I was about to take exception to that: Bloomin' boy racers just back from a track day and think they're Stirling flippin' Moss* - until I realised that you were referring to the speed of the cooling fan :rofl:

* Showing my age a bit there, sorry

I was about to take exception to that: Bloomin' boy racers just back from a track day and think they're Stirling flippin' Moss* - until I realised that you were referring to the speed of the cooling fan :rofl:

* Showing my age a bit there, sorry

hehehe... I should have said "low FAN speeds". :rofl: