Economy Remap for Greenline 2

This may sound stupid or extremely stupid, but i'm picking up my Greenline 2 hatch in two weeks and I was wondering if I could poke out some more MPG just for the fun off it?

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any remaps that might benifit economy or any other mods, (apart from redex etc) for some reason 100mpg appeals. :rofl:

This may sound stupid or extremely stupid, but i'm picking up my Greenline 2 hatch in two weeks and I was wondering if I could poke out some more MPG just for the fun off it?

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any remaps that might benifit economy or any other mods, (apart from redex etc) for some reason 100mpg appeals. :rofl:

Wouldn't even think of a remap, you are going to get really good mpg ,although not as good as the estate but still will be awesome you may get close to the 100 though

I think these eco cars already have a finer tuned map on them anyway.

The ford fiesta econetic which does 80.9mpg uses the same 95bhp 1.6 deisel engine as the Ford fiesta zetec tdci however the economy increase from

65mpg to 80mpg.......

this is not achieved by lowering the suspension 9mm, fitting low resistance tyres and reducing weight by 38kgs alone, the engines are economy mapped

by ford so it has a smaller max power rpm band and the turbo kicks in at higher rpm etc etc,

infact having driven both 1.6 tdci ford fiestas, econetic and zetec i can say that the rev and drive differently. i found the econetic more progressive and smooth, but less of that midrange diesel punch.

this may apply to the 1.2tdi engine or not, i just don't know, but thats how ford did it, VW could have done the same thing so any economy map may be pointless......

i really don't know though so don't let it put you off

Edited by Sonner

i have quite literally decided TODAY that i am gonna buy a Greenline model, it cuts my running costs soo much even with a fair bit of finance taken into account.

i would look to sharpen up the handling in mine with approiate ARB's and maybe some coilovers, otherwise leave it as it is.

but let us know if a economy map works. i would probably prefer a mild performance and economy map, maybe a 10% power and economy increase rather than 20% increase of just performance or economy.

Go for a run of the mill remap and use the 5th gear of the car as much as possible with gentle driving, after you've run it in properly of course!! :giggle: and you should see the benefits at the fuel pump.

Ian

Cysne, I reckon you may be clutching at straws. The car will probably already do 100mpg on an economy run anyway...the manyfacturer quote into the 90's mpg already. I doubt economy will be improved by a remap. On such as small engine a remap will be aimed at more power. Under certain conditions you may get a little more mpg in everyday driving but I really doubt it. Anyhoo...don't do anything until you have at least 5k on the clock. You need to get to know the car once it's run in, and learn how to drive it before you do anything.

PS. I know you know how to drive, I mean really get to know your new car...from my limited experience of driving that model it will take some time to learn what gear to be in and what speeds are best for economy under differing conditions etc etc. Some of the guys on here who have that model can give you a helping hand if you need it. Good luck with that and if and when you do remap, tell us all about it!

Cysne, I reckon you may be clutching at straws. The car will probably already do 100mpg on an economy run anyway...the manyfacturer quote into the 90's mpg already. I doubt economy will be improved by a remap. On such as small engine a remap will be aimed at more power. Under certain conditions you may get a little more mpg in everyday driving but I really doubt it. Anyhoo...don't do anything until you have at least 5k on the clock. You need to get to know the car once it's run in, and learn how to drive it before you do anything.

+1

PS. I know you know how to drive, I mean really get to know your new car...from my limited experience of driving that model it will take some time to learn what gear to be in and what speeds are best for economy under differing conditions etc etc. Some of the guys on here who have that model can give you a helping hand if you need it. Good luck with that and if and when you do remap, tell us all about it!

Edited by seboni121

I think this is the way i'm going to take it, who knows, it will be a couple of months and i'll be on about 8k, someone else might have tried something. I'll just run it and see how it goes for a while

Defiantly just been over-speculative, thanks for the feedback everyone.

I think this is the way i'm going to take it, who knows, it will be a couple of months and i'll be on about 8k, someone else might have tried something. I'll just run it and see how it goes for a while

Defiantly just been over-speculative, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Hi From my short time with this car I would say the following. The gearing is well defined. The power band is very close. It struggles on slopes and it is always keen for you to move up to the next gear. Hence, the mpg it achieves is very close to the best you will get. However, get it chipped and see how it goes. I had a Smart years ago that was chipped and it was similar in the way it was geared.

I don't see why you won't get 100mpg out of a Greenline II. My Greenline I has had 98.4 before and on Wednesday I drove up to London keeping a steady 60-65 from Bournemouth via the M25 and A2 over 140 miles I got 90mpg from cold start and urban driving through to Clapton E3. I'm still aiming for the 100mpg and now with the Michelin Energy on and the warmer weather coming I think this summer I will get there. You can get over 100mpg if you plan the right journey, i.e. all down hill but I just set myself normal everyday routes I use.

I don't see why you won't get 100mpg out of a Greenline II. My Greenline I has had 98.4 before and on Wednesday I drove up to London keeping a steady 60-65 from Bournemouth via the M25 and A2 over 140 miles I got 90mpg from cold start and urban driving through to Clapton E3. I'm still aiming for the 100mpg and now with the Michelin Energy on and the warmer weather coming I think this summer I will get there. You can get over 100mpg if you plan the right journey, i.e. all down hill but I just set myself normal everyday routes I use.

When you get there...to 100mpg I mean, you will acquire God like status!! :giggle:

An ecu remap would probably invalidate your warranty and you need to inform your insurance company.

I used to drive a remapped car and it was my style of driving that gave me extra mpg, the remap gave me more power. It also put more 'pressure' on the turbo and the clutch, with the clutch going at 150K.

I don't think it is worth doing on these models.

i would look to reduce parasitic loss on the engine and reduction drivetrain friction if i wanted to spend money improving fuel economy.

Lightening the flywheel and lightenig the crankshaft will reduce engine weight/release more power and produce a freer revving engine so

when hypermiling by coasting the car on the approach to a roundabout instead of braking the car, you should be able to roll further whilist ingear,

also for the drier warmer summer weather why not consider even skinner tyres to reduce drag even more. like 165/70/15

also removing the aircon pump altogether saving a few kilos and if keeping it make sure you never use it.

i have had aircon on three of my cars and NEVER used it once in my life because of the affect it has on MPG.

then of course you have all the normal measures you can take such as keeping less fuel in the car, washer fluid, keeping handbook in the garage, removing the rear sets when not needed(if they clip in and out like my felcica ones do, not wearing underwear or socks etc etc....

i myself(if i do get a greenline) im looking into the weights of the alloy wheels,

as we all know team dynamics pro race 1.2's are the lightest cheap alloy wheel available, a 15" 5.5J alloy might weigh as much as 3kgs less than the anatres alloys fitted on the greenline.

i suspect it will likely be more like a 1.7-1.8kg weight saving, but reducing unsprung weight improves handling and puts lets stress on the suspension leading to longer suspension life. i would assume there would be a MPG benefit here too.

When I see a naked man driving a GL2, I'll wave. :rofl:

Class. :rofl:

I have got a bit enthusiastic about how good I could get the MPG, but I'm looking like an amature compared to some people on here and the lengths they'll go to.

Class. :rofl:

I have got a bit enthusiastic about how good I could get the MPG, but I'm looking like an amature compared to some people on here and the lengths they'll go to.

Tell me about it! I must admit I'm stepping up the diet while I wait for mine to be delivered... perhaps I better double up my treadmill time too!

i myself(if i do get a greenline) im looking into the weights of the alloy wheels,

as we all know team dynamics pro race 1.2's are the lightest cheap alloy wheel available, a 15" 5.5J alloy might weigh as much as 3kgs less than the anatres alloys fitted on the greenline.

i suspect it will likely be more like a 1.7-1.8kg weight saving, but reducing unsprung weight improves handling and puts lets stress on the suspension leading to longer suspension life. i would assume there would be a MPG benefit here too.

i did the exact thing had some 15" steels, then got hold of some 15"pro race 1.2s even though they are 7inch wide they weigh 3kgs a wheel lighter then the steelies with tyre fitted, average was 3mpg better with them fitted, tested over same route speeds weather etc, over a few weeks. i think the width of them negates the lightness a little but it still has a profound effect. Same it doesnt warrent me having three sets of wheels lol there for sale in the for sale section and will fit straight on the mk2 pm me if anyones interested

Edited by TrevorB33

I was thinking of replacing the 15" 6J Antares wheels with 15" 5.5J, this would mean the standard low resistance tyres (185/60/15) will swap straight over however the alloy would be narrower, 3kgs a corner would be 12kgs overall, and unsprung weight loss is much more noticeable as Trevor has said,

again provided you keep the standard wheels should you ever sell the car and once your finished with the pro race 1.2's then you shouldn't be too out of pocket either.