Towing again

iamgeob

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trailer had had a normal cable that was short and just hooked over the towbar. BUT following the discussions here it was not correct to do so since my towball is detachable. Also the downstand metal thing it was attached from (similar to Frenchtone's where he showed the Ifor cable) was in the way of the hitch lock. So I had to remove that. Seems something similar has to be attached again to get a thicker cable to attach to the new thingamabob next to the towbar. How I really do not know. :no: Maybe I must just buy a braked Ifor Williams and be done with it! hehehe

I think Frenchtone has the right answer, A "D" shackle, easy to undo the bolt, pass the hook part through the cable and offer up to thingamabob and retighten the bolt into the shackle though the hole in the thingamabob, if it is the same diameter as the cable it is attached to then it will not be the weak point.

Ian

I think Frenchtone has the right answer, A "D" shackle, easy to undo the bolt, pass the hook part through the cable and offer up to thingamabob and retighten the bolt into the shackle though the hole in the thingamabob, if it is the same diameter as the cable it is attached to then it will not be the weak point.

Ian

Ok some pics of the various items, plus view on securing on a non lockable Bradley hitch!

post-73291-0-96037200-1311703731_thumb.jpg

post-73291-0-38860700-1311703768_thumb.jpg

post-73291-0-70241000-1311703795_thumb.jpg

post-73291-0-73888700-1311703818_thumb.jpg

Ian

Thanks guys. I will have to put my thinking cap on as to how to get it connected to the trailer and still be able to use my security hitch lock since the old connection for such a cable has been removed to make the hitch lock work! Doh.

Thanks guys. I will have to put my thinking cap on as to how to get it connected to the trailer and still be able to use my security hitch lock since the old connection for such a cable has been removed to make the hitch lock work! Doh.

Johann, A substantial chain of the right length will do the same job, just loop around the "A" frame and then through "D" shackle which will be bolted through thingamabob. Hey presto one secure unbraked trailer.

Ian

Johann, A substantial chain of the right length will do the same job, just loop around the "A" frame and then through "D" shackle which will be bolted through thingamabob. Hey presto one secure unbraked trailer.

Ian

Bolt the chain with a butch washer or 6mm thick square piece of steel to the underside of the front hitch bolt, and the d shackle to the car

Ian

Alas I have a baby trailer sans an A-frame! It has a central steel 60mm square hitch bar that goes all the way to the suspension! So very few places to connect a chain or anything to.

251558_10150187550176324_671901323_7268329_1572003_n.jpg

268479_10150230984291324_671901323_7644826_6129977_n.jpg

Bolt the chain with a butch washer or 6mm thick square piece of steel to the underside of the front hitch bolt, and the d shackle to the car

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks.

D-shackles look good too:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=D-shackle&_sacat=See-All-Categories

When it grows up it wants to be an HGV!!

Frenchtone is on the right track again, a longer bolt through the hitch or jockey wheel attachment point with a substantial washer to back it up and the chain/cable will be firmly and permanently attached.

Ian

When it grows up it wants to be an HGV!!

Nah when it grows up it wants to be an Ifor Williams! :giggle: