vRS Problem....

Done a few searches but nothing really nails this down for me.....

I've had a few problems recently with the following warning lights/beeps: power steering and handbrake, I can reset the power steering simply by pulling over switching off the car and restarting again which clears the problem within seconds. It might not happen for days later but more recently it's happening more often, especially at night for some reason and also the HID's will filcker when this happens too(usually when reversing or turning a corner).

Today my car done all of the above(apart from the HID light flicker as it's daytime) however, my usual switch off and restart did not work, in face the car would not start at all, a weird clicking noise and warning lights come on too...not a kick out of it, then the alarm sounds too and also the central locking struggles to work.

I leave the car about 10mins and it will start ok, but is this a case of a one off start or could I be left stranded later tonight should the problem return? anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like it could be the battery nackered, have you checked the voltage of it ?

Could also eiher be a nackered altenator not charging it or a dodgy earth somewhere ?

Sounds like it could be the battery nackered, have you checked the voltage of it ?

Could also eiher be a nackered altenator not charging it or a dodgy earth somewhere ?

I've not got the correct tools to do that with the battery, maybe a trip to Halfords or the likes? I've replaced the alternator already last year I had a similar problem but it was a second hand one right enough....Also when all of this happens not even my hazzards work, highly annoying.

You reckon it's something simple like what you've mentioned?

Thanks

A code scan should fetch up something if your dash is like a christmas tree.

I'd start at the battery as you said it's happening more at night when using you lights and the power steering pump takes alot of power.

I'd go to an auto electrician to have your battery tested rather than someone clueless at halfords and it will determine if it's being charged and holding it's charge.

Still have to get someone to look at this for me, tho the past day or two there has been no problems at all, well actually tonight while reversing the flicky lights happened again. So strange the way it can play up then go away and come back again!

Funny you should mention this Kev. I had a similar issue yesterday.

I've been working at the car a lot over the last few days so i've had the doors open, radio on, etc, and it ran the battery down a bit.

A weak battery will definitely affect the power steering and can throw up faults. HID flicker is usually caused by a weak battery too but can come from faulty ballasts. More often than not it's a dead battery cell though. Get you battery tested at a motor factors and see if it has a dead cell.

Your problems with the car not starting, the warning lights and alarm and lock issues are pretty much a surefire sign of battery problems.

Get it tested and if the battery is ok, check your main earth points.

Jack the car up and remove the undertray. From underneath look behind the radiator at the wires. You may find one or two wires are broken. Theses wires go from the alternator to the battery I believe causing the battery to not charge properly.

I had the similar issues a while back. Power steering would fail to work. Reboot would solve this. Then after I was doing some work the battery would be flat.

few things are adding up which looks like the battery. hopefully it is, hope you get this sorted :)

Jack the car up and remove the undertray. From underneath look behind the radiator at the wires. You may find one or two wires are broken. Theses wires go from the alternator to the battery I believe causing the battery to not charge properly.

I had the similar issues a while back. Power steering would fail to work. Reboot would solve this. Then after I was doing some work the battery would be flat.

Are the HID's factory fit?

It's known that aftermarket ballasts can cause interference with the ECU on some cars.

Thanks Wilsy7 - I hope your right!!

faboka vrs - I'll give that a go, cheers.

C.D-vRS - They are aftermarket ones....what would you recommend?

Thanks Wilsy7 - I hope your right!!

faboka vrs - I'll give that a go, cheers.

C.D-vRS - They are aftermarket ones....what would you recommend?

First remove/disconnect them. If that solves the problem then either take them out or move the ballasts.

Try that before buying a new battery.