Bye-bye BLT stutter!

Despite having the modified EGR gasket, the stutter on my '07 SE was still there. Using both brain cells and lateral thought (!!) I concluded that things could be improved by slowing the rate at which the EGR operated rather than deleting it entirely, with the associated CEL problems. I made up a simple restrictor with a 3.5 mm hole in it and fitted it into the vacuum line to the EGR with the result that there is now no stutter and the CEL stays off - success and, I hope, no problems with the new MOT criteria.

All that is needed is a short length of 6mm rod with a 3.5mm hole drilled in it - I used an old push-bike 'presta' valve, which was about the right size, along with a short piece of 6mm bore vacuum hose. It's probably worth playing with the size of the 3.5mm hole - I just guessed at this and it seems to work but you could probably get away with 3mm or smaller.

Despite having the modified EGR gasket, the stutter on my '07 SE was still there. Using both brain cells and lateral thought (!!) I concluded that things could be improved by slowing the rate at which the EGR operated rather than deleting it entirely, with the associated CEL problems. I made up a simple restrictor with a 3.5 mm hole in it and fitted it into the vacuum line to the EGR with the result that there is now no stutter and the CEL stays off - success and, I hope, no problems with the new MOT criteria.

The obvious problem with fitting a simple inline restrictor is that it will work both ways ie; slows down the rate at which the valve opens and also slows down the rate at which the valve closes.

Which means the EGR valve will now operate slightly out of sync with the engine management ECU command.

:)

Bill.

time will tell wheather cel light stays off i blanked the pipe and it dint come on till i was at a gentle cruise on motorway 6-7 days later.

i have since refitted vac pipe and have just turned down the egr with vag-com still have the orginal gasket in mine not the modified one. stutter has gone on mine now.

I have put up with the stutter for 6 months of ownership, it was really starting to *&^% me off! This weekend I removed the vacuum line and blocked it up. I wish I had done it before - the car runs far smoother now, and 5+ mpg more on my daily commute.

The dash warning light has come up, but I can live with it for the mo. When it comes to the MOT I will tell the garage to put the pipe back on if the emmissions are too high :)

I may try your idea out just to see if it will remove the warning light and stutter. Keep us posted :)