Tired but Happy

manxman

Well "Manxie" is home on the Isle of Man - at long last! :clap:

Flew down to London on Tuesday afternoon, and after staying with my cousin in Kent overnight it was up early Wednesday morning and after missing the rush-hour traffic up to Marlborough Skoda, reaching there mid-morning. Between the Airport & Kent and also Kent & Marlborough we did not see a single Yeti - wonder where they all are?

At Marlborough I was warmly welcomed by Mike Don-Carlos who quickly went through the formalities, took my money, and then "introduced me" to "Manxie". After a quick examination and a friendly and thorough explanation of how all the basics worked it was time to get behind the wheel and head off north. I was also pleasantly surprised to find she had well over a quarter of tank of fuel on board, especially after reading others on the forum, who purchased through the internet and this dealer, barely had enough fumes to reach the nearest garage.

I followed my cousin, who was heading up to the West Midlands, very tentatively at first, trying to get used to the different set-up / controls to my last vehicle. For a 1.2 DSG I found the car extremely nippy and the gear changes very very smooth, especially after being used to the "lumpy" Renault auto-box. I was trying to count through the gears but couldn't as the changes were that smooth. The main problem I had at first was that having set the steering wheel and seat height to what I thought were correct positions for me I found that I could not see the rev counter and speedo dials very easily. After about an hour we stopped at a service station and I was able to rectify this small problem. A fuel fill up here and we were on our way again. Off the M25, on to and up the M40 and then onto the M42 where my cousin travelled on to the West Midlands as I turned left to join the M6. Again all this way and still no sign of another Yeti.

I continued up to Chester where I finally saw my first Yeti on the roads - a bright Red one - heading out of Chester. I was somewhat shocked at finally seeing another one and a bit slow to acknowledge the other driver, but I did give him / her a quick wave, which I hope they caught site of. Made the University introduced the "new family member" to my daughter. She was thoroughly impressed, as were a number of her friends who appeared from nowhere to have a look around the "beast".

We left her parked up outside the Uni accommodation and went off for a well deserved meal and drink at the local pub - NO :beer: for me though. Then it was time for "Manxie" to earn her living! Off to the local Asda for a student fill up. Plenty bought my my daughter on my credit card [well what are Dad's for?] but they all fitted easily into the boot area, despite me having a spare wheel fitted.

Eventually left Chester and back onto the M6 where we eventually detoured onto the M58 to make a quick visit to an elderly relative in Maghull. After a cuppa and chat it was back along the M58 and on to the M6 yet again. Traffic was light so this was an ideal opportunity to try out the cruise control, which was again a different set up [control wise] to the Renault. However I had no troubles at all and the system worked very effectively, giving my right foot a well deserved rest! Eventually turned off at Lancaster and then on to the Ferry Terminal at Heysham, reaching our destination just after 0100 hours. Whilst waiting to board the Ferry a quick calculation confirmed to me that the I had averaged 43.1 mpg. over my 284 mile trip. This was travelling at around 2000 rpm at a speed of 60mph, although she did go a little faster on a few occasion when overtaking a large group of vehicles. All in all I had a very satisfying drive and thought a very reasonable mileage return for such a small engine size.

Loaded up around 0145 hours and departed Heysham 0215 hours. After a 4 hour trip, with very little sleep but a nice, if somewhat expensive, IOM Steam Packet Company bacon bap and cup of tea we eventually set foot on home turf where it was absolutely lashing it down. My poor little monster was getting the soaking of her very short life :rain:

Another cup of tea at home before taking my younger daughter to school, as she insisted all her friends saw Manxie BEFORE I was allowed to go to bed for a well-earned catch up on sleep -26 hours is a long time to go without at my age :yawn:

Woke up around 1330 hours and on going to the window found my next-door neighbour having a sneak around the vehicle. I will no doubt get a lot of people having good look around her over the next few days as she will be the only one on the Manx roads at present, apart from a white 4x4 which works for Sure Mobile Company but doesn’t appear very often due to her work routine checking on masts etc in remote parts of the Island.

Well think I have probably prattled on far too much - got carried away with myself, as well as the vehicle. VERY IMPRESSED with my new acquisition - long may it last. Only faults I have found to date was the one stated earlier about not being able to see the dials fully when the steering wheel was set in certain positions and the one big letdown is the fact that the Speedo, for a UK Market, does not display a 30 and 70 figures on the dial :thumbdown:

Tomorrow is another day so it will be one of reading the manual thoroughly and, hopefully, getting yet more out of the vehicle, by setting up the various system items.

To those of you still waiting delivery - it's worth it - HONESTLY!

Regards

Tony

Well "Manxie" is home on the Isle of Man - at long last! :clap:

.........'At Marlborough I was warmly welcomed by Mike Don-Carlos'..........

I also, in the last few days, collected my Yeti from Mike at Marlborough and was very pleased to have done so. I found him to be a real gentleman and have emailed since to say so. Don't know whether Marlborough view on here but if they do....well done and thank you. I'd certainly order from Mike again and would, perhaps, consider a 4x4 DSG diesel another time. I also found Kuldip, who did the registration, helpful and quick off the mark too. It was worth the trip to West London to save the amount I did - and I guess you would have saved a few pennies also....other regulars here have used them too.

You certainly gave yours a sharp introduction to the road - I thought I was giving mine a fair run by taking it back to Devon!

Trust you continue to enjoy it.

Have either of you posted your positive experiences of Marlborough on the Dealers section? I think that's a really useful resource for potential buyers (and one I wish I'd found earlier).

Thankyou for the interesting post which is especially pertinent to me since my car, also a 1.2 TSi DSG, has been ready since last Wednesday but is still awaiting its DVLA documents - extremely frustrating.

Hope you get much pleasure from your new car.

Hello Fellow Manxman!

I too own a Yeti (although being based in Coventry it doesn't get much opportunity to experience those lovely manx roads). Was over on the island at Easter (staying in Peel too no less!) and during that time I did not see any other SM on the roads. We'll be over again last week in July so I'll keep an eye out for you! Enjoy your new monster. It certainly is a lovely car to drive and seemed very at home on the Isle of Man.

Ah enjoy the beast! It is fantastic when it turns up and you think: where on earth did the last seven months go?! Enjoy!

Hello Fellow Manxman!

I too own a Yeti (although being based in Coventry it doesn't get much opportunity to experience those lovely manx roads). Was over on the island at Easter (staying in Peel too no less!) and during that time I did not see any other SM on the roads. We'll be over again last week in July so I'll keep an eye out for you! Enjoy your new monster. It certainly is a lovely car to drive and seemed very at home on the Isle of Man.

Think I saw you one night when I was driving home from work [around 1730/1800 hours] in my then Renault Grand Scenic. Remember coming home and telling SWMBO that I had seen a black Yeti at Greeba Castle going from Peel towards Douglas and wondered if it was visiting or someone else on the Island had beaten me too it! Will keep an eye out for you in July. Think a photo of the two of them with Peel Castle/sunset in the background would look rather good

Regards

Tony

TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAS POSTED - Thanks for your good wishes......still enjoying myself with "Manxie", so much so that SWMBO has had to be content driving her Clio :rofl::rofl::rofl::smirk:

Edited by manxman