Km between services!

I have a Roomster petrol 1,4 from 2008 (I think thou it's the 2007 version).

I use the long life service but both times the computer told me it was time for service I had only driven short of 25.000.

I drive 30/70(city/freeway), about 60km/day and relatively nice(the last 16 month I have had an all over fuel consumption of 6,9L/100km).

Several people I know also driving Skoda(only not Roomster) has no problem reaching the magic 30.000 between their long life service even thou they have the same driving pattern.

To mee it sounds like the computer is not programmed with the correct number of km. But from Skoda the answer is that it is not possible.

Does anyone here have similair "problem"?

Or simply: HOW FAR DO YOU DRIVE BTWN YOUR VARIABLE SERVICES?

Someone told me that when the onboard computer says the car needs service it's because the oil is too thick and needs changing. So if the oil cannot handle 30.000 then what's it worth driving longlife service instead of fixed service that uses a cheaper oil?

If you answer please also shortly descripe your driving pattern.

I'll apriciate answers from everyone no matter how far you drive.

Martin

There are two types of service intervals.

QG0 or QG2 and QG1. Under the carpet of your boot at the left there is a square sticker which also should be at the service book, there you can see your service interval type.

QG0 or QG2 type uses fixed service intervals which are 1 year or 15.000 Km what ever occurs first

QG1 uses variable service intervals which are 2 years (max) or 30.000 Km (max) but the car decides when by the use of its sensors.

You also can change the service interval type from one to another. You may ask your dealer to set you another type of service intervals next time you 'll have your car serviced.

Edited by stratosg

I know that the 30.000 is maximum but as I describe several people I know who also drive Skoda(only not Roomster) has no problem reaching 30k.

The two times it was needed there were only about 1y 4m between the services. And the car is set for Q1(Longlife).

You also can change the service interval type from one to another. You may ask your dealer to set you another type of service intervals next time you 'll have your car serviced.

I didn't think you were allowed to do that, once its on annual servicing?

LL servicing seems to have a pretty bad reputation, though...

I know that the 30.000 is maximum but as I describe several people I know who also drive Skoda(only not Roomster) has no problem reaching 30k.

The two times it was needed there were only about 1y 4m between the services. And the car is set for Q1(Longlife).

Oh! Sorry. Now i get it. Well my previous Octavia 1.6 (1U) asked me Service only 3.700Km after she was serviced, the reason was a very long parking period of about three months.

You can do it using VCDS or by asking a dealer to do it for you, at least that was able with my previous Octavia. I agree with you that Long Life Servicing have a pretty bad reputation, and thats why i switched Octavia from QG1 to QG0.

My Roomster came with QG0 service plan and to be honest i don't know if it's able to switch to QG1, and i don't want to.

What do you mean by bad reputation?

So long as you follow the rules by VAG on driving style and journey types and use the appropriate servicing type, there aren't any issues.

There have been reported failures of components in the engine which don't seem as frequent on non-LL serviced cars, after warranty period has finished.

It seems that some car journos and mechanics don't recommend that you get a secondhand one out of warranty as they feel the risk of engine component failure is higher than a conventionally serviced car. As an example, look up the HJ Backroom Forum, there's plenty of discussion on it in there...

As we used to do oil changes every 2500 miles, I suppose its one of those "take your pick" moments!

Edited by The PM

As I said there is plenty of discussion on it, try the HJ Forums and Car4play if you want more...

As for the 2500 changes, I didn't suggest that, just pointed out that we used to do that only 20 or 30 years before and now we don't... Things move on, oils have got better... Though whether they are good enough to last 20k miles seems a debatable point...

Incidentally when on those forums I was saying the same as you re LL servicing, but it was pointed out that the trouble seems to occur after the end of the warranty period and the chaps who were most vocal were in the business of mending or replacing broken turbos which seem to be the worst offender...

As I said its one of those take it or leave it scenarios... Personally if I was buying s/h and over 3 years old and had the choice of two cars, one with annual and one LL I think I'd choose the annual...

As I said there is plenty of discussion on it, try the HJ Forums and Car4play if you want more...

As for the 2500 changes, I didn't suggest that, just pointed out that we used to do that only 20 or 30 years before and now we don't... Things move on, oils have got better... Though whether they are good enough to last 20k miles seems a debatable point...

Incidentally when on those forums I was saying the same as you re LL servicing, but it was pointed out that the trouble seems to occur after the end of the warranty period and the chaps who were most vocal were in the business of mending or replacing broken turbos which seem to be the worst offender...

As I said its one of those take it or leave it scenarios... Personally if I was buying s/h and over 3 years old and had the choice of two cars, one with annual and one LL I think I'd choose the annual...

Turbo's fail on a number of VAG cars, and the Mk1 fabia VRS have a number of members here with stories to tell. The Mk1 didnt have the variable option, only annual. The turbo isnt even touched during a service, and failures are due to the fans breaking up - something longlife oil wouldnt cause.

I think you're adding 2 & 2 and arriving at 5. An number of members run cars on variable with annual mileages running from 14-30k Miles a year without any issues. One of the mod team is on their 3rd car set to variable, and mileages from new to change of 80k per car if memory serves.

I'm on my 2nd using variable (mk1 Octavia 1.8T 20v turbo & mk2 2.0 FSI), last car 48k/4yrs without any warranty issues, this one on 56k and has had wiper motor and EGR valve along with cambelt & pump as just reached 4yrs.

As for telling a service regime, what is printed in the service book may not be what the car is actually set to, only how it left the factory. The supplying dealer or a previous owner using VCDS could have had the servicing regime changed at any time. Unless you go armed with a laptop and VCDS, and the dealer allows you to hook it up, you would never know 100% without running the risk of changing and resetting the service counters and defaulting it to fixed as many members have done accidentally.

I think you're adding 2 & 2 and arriving at 5. A

No I'm not! As I've said several times I am quoting what other people have said based on their experiences "in the trade"... If you have taken the trouble to read the forums I have mentioned you will see what I mean... They may be right, they may be wrong, but their view is as valid as yours or mine, whether we agree with them or not... I have also said a couple of times that the issues have been occuring outside the warranty period...

I have no doubt that people's cars on this Forum will be well looked after regardless of what service schedule they are on... But as pointed out on those other forums the majority of cars that are on the LL schedule tend to be fleet buyers and most of them couldn't give a t**s... So what they are saying is if you are buying a car on LL and its been in a fleet then maybe take care, as in their experience the risk of engine component failure is higher...

You are getting unnecessarily wound up, GM... All I said was to be aware of their views and make your own decision on them...

Edited by The PM