oil catch tank !

hey guys,

fitted an oil catch tank between the crankcase breather and inlet about a week or so ago, all seems ok, just a few questions. i baffled it a few days ago, filled it with those steel ball things for cleaning the dishes with, didnt pack it too tight so it can still breath. only thing is i looked at it today and the pipe coming from the crackcase and the first few inches of the return pipe was like a greeny tinge of the vapour stuck to the inside of the pipe????

worried!! lol

ps. wasnt like this before i baffled it

jordan

Edited by wilsy7

I assume you mean stainless steel? As steel probably will oxidise and bits will start flaking off :S

I didnt pipe it back into the intake, instead I vented it off using a breather filter.

Nothing internal should be green so its probably something from what you've put in :smirk:

I did this -

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

I've added a couple more stainless steel balls (now fairly tightly packed), an oil level indicator and a breather filter.

• Like 1

Very tidy indeed. I used the same steel balls as you have, so you may have the same only you cnt see through your pipe? Lol ill get some pics up later :) do you think its anything to worry about?

edit: on inspection this morning the pipes arent as green as i first thought which is a relief lol must have been the light from my hids and it being dark that made it look worse. pipes look fairly normal

Edited by wilsy7

Very tidy indeed. I used the same steel balls as you have, so you may have the same only you cnt see through your pipe? Lol ill get some pics up later :) do you think its anything to worry about?

edit: on inspection this morning the pipes arent as green as i first thought which is a relief lol must have been the light from my hids and it being dark that made it look worse. pipes look fairly normal

Lol thanks,

No I cant really see through my pipe :p green stuff could just be bacteria? Best to take a pic!

In any case, I would suggest to vent it to atmosphere method though (VTA) as few people online seem to say this is better for the engine; if there are any contaminants etc it wont be pulled back into the intake, the counter argument to this is that people question if the vacuum from the intake is needed for the pcv to work properly... :S

Another point to note, there seems to be more smoke coming out of mine after a remap (done by shark), but from reading online, this smoke (blow-by) is increased when the turbo is worked harder apparently..

Yes youll have more smoke from a remap, I got more smoke too but not.much, still virtually no.smoke so not related to your catch tank. Wel thats the main reason that I vented back to the inlet because of the.venturi suction effect helping the engine to breath. What evidence is there thats it better for the.engine to VTA? Apparently the green tinge is the oil and water mixing in a cool environment.

Jordan

Yes youll have more smoke from a remap, I got more smoke too but not.much, still virtually no.smoke so not related to your catch tank. Wel thats the main reason that I vented back to the inlet because of the.venturi suction effect helping the engine to breath. What evidence is there thats it better for the.engine to VTA? Apparently the green tinge is the oil and water mixing in a cool environment.

Jordan

Ooo.. Thats interesting, learn something new everyday.

with the VTA, (this is from reading online and i suppose some logic) any contaminants which hasn't been filtered out by the professional grade stainless steel balls ( :rofl: ) it can go into the atmosphere instead of into the intake and turbo.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/197995-crank-case-oil-venting-atmosphere.html

The counter argument is:

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52222

"Running a crankcase pump to provide a vacuum in the crankcase is a performance benefit. However, the crank-driven or electric pumps available require excessive power to drive, or are excessively heavy to be of benefit on a motorcycle in actual use. However, there is another option.

There is a benefit to connecting the crankcase vent tube to the SAI reed valves. This pulls crankcase pressure out the exhaust, and causes a very slight reduction of crankcase pressure at high rpm. The benefit can be anywhere from 1/2 hp to 1.5 hp at high rpm - especially after peak power rpm (over rev). The difference in output depends on the engine's ring seal, and rpm that you turn the engine."

I have my EGR (for eco reasons) plugged in again so I wouldn't really want any moist vapours mixing with that dry soot.

i did like the idea of vta altho i just thought the crankcase would need something pulling the pressure through. it probaly doesnt lol but i like keeping the virtually oem setup. plus there is no vapour making its way right the way up the return pipe so appears to be filtering out the majority of the thick stuff which is all i want as the rest what gets through will just burn rather than lie

finally got my pics up, geting pictures off my phone is such a hassle lol

this one shows the can the day i fitted nice clean pipes lol

2011-04-27194900.jpg

then these show the vapour caught in the pipes, thought it seemed really green but was just the light, turns out a slight green tinge is normal anyway :)

2011-05-07100617.jpg

2011-05-07100629.jpg

fits nicely under the engine cover :) securely bracketed into positioned not cable tied lol :p

2011-03-07143408.jpg

stop oil vapor going back into the intercooler system, you end up with oil collecting in the intercooler which leads to weeping seals and must be a contributing factor for hoses popping off

Is this quite common? :o

Heres my part 2:

IMAG0392.jpg

I still get a bit of smoke after some booting but it dies down shortly after.

those are my awesome fuel saving magnets! lol look pretty ****ty lol

Very tidy engine bay! :thumbup:

Did you pay silly money for those magnets... :giggle:

To be fair I have awesome grounding cables going around my car... :rofl: (in my defence I didnt pay a penny for them).

fuel saving magnets?.....do they work? lol

.......... :rofl:

fuel saving magnets?.....do they work? lol

im not too sure on the fab, altho i did see about 4mpg on extra on my previous clio that i had. havent really being keeping an eye on mpg to notice :( lol

Heres my part 2:

IMAG0392.jpg

I still get a bit of smoke after some booting but it dies down shortly after.

Very tidy engine bay! :thumbup:

Did you pay silly money for those magnets... :giggle:

To be fair I have awesome grounding cables going around my car... :rofl: (in my defence I didnt pay a penny for them).

.......... :rofl:

cheers! :)

get it mounted properly tho lol and yeh i did, like £18 or something lol :(

im not too sure on the fab, altho i did see about 4mpg on extra on my previous clio that i had. havent really being keeping an eye on mpg to notice :( lol

LOL they really dont work im afraid mate. Youve been had!

Edited by Pleb

LOL they really dont work im afraid mate. Youve been had!

as i said they worked on my last car so i put them on this car. the clio had all metal fuel pipes which probaly helped. :thumbup: ******!

as i said they worked on my last car so i put them on this car. the clio had all metal fuel pipes which probaly helped. :thumbup: ******!

Gonna have to burst this bubble my friend, apologies.

Logistically speaking, if they really do work, manufacturers will put these into the cars because its economically beneficial and they can put it on their marketing ploy etc etc. Think about how much cr*p they already put in the car to make that extra eco friendly cars (wrt fabia vrs: 'the stutter' 9mm or 16mm hole, the EGR and the PCV crankcase).

Technically speaking,

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=267828

HTH :)

I let the results influence my opinion. as said before, worked on previous car. Please dont patronise me friend!

My bad if it did sound a little like that. Wasn't meant to be in a patronising tone, meant to be informative. :beer:

I haven't read up on negatives to the magnets (assumed it would be something to do with electrics and interference), fair play if you feel it works, but if you ever get little gremlins don't automatically rule them out :thumbup: