Owners of 2.0 ltr common rail

I agree Tony, "a little bit of information is a dangerous thing"

The MKI Superb was never fitted with a CR engine (hence my post #2) so is not effected with the problem being discussed in THIS thread (it does however have it's own problems with the 2.0 PD140 oil pump)

However just because you have a 2.0 CR engine doesn't mean your engine can suffer with the fault, we need to know (for definite and not just by speculation) what engine codes are effected and ideally the dates in which they were fitted to each model, this should not be difficult for someone with ETKA etc to identify the problematic pump and what engines it is fitted to.

As far as I'm aware the following CR engine codes apply to the Octavia, Yeti and Superb range;

CAYC 1.6 105 - Octavia, Superb & Yeti

CBBB 2.0 170 - Superb to WK22/10

CBDB 2.0 140 - Yeti to WK45/09

CEGA 2.0 170 - Octavia & Yeti (Yeti to WK22/10)

CFFB 2.0 140 - Superb

CFGB 2.0 170 - Superb from WK22/10

CFHA 2.0 110 (250 N/m) - Yeti

CFHC 2.0 140 - Octavia & Yeti (Yeti from WK45/09)

CFHF 2.0 110 (280 N/m) - Octavia & Yeti

CFJA 2.0 170 - Yeti from WK22/10

CLCA 2.0 110 - Octavia & Yeti (India) (Yeti from September 2011)

CLCB 2.0 140 - Octavia & Yeti (India)

CLJA 2.0 140 - Superb (India)

Only the 2.0 engines fitted to the Superb appear to use a drive shaft for the oil pump, however the CBBB engine uses a 77mm shaft the rest use a 100mm shaft. From the old copy of the parts book there has been no update to the 100mm shaft but the 77mm shaft was updated in September 2010 (after the engine is listed as being withdrawn from the range).

Regards,

TP

For information on this topic. I own a VW Eos TDI CR 140PS Engine type CBA. My Haynes manual which covers only the VW Passat from June 2005 to 2010, 05 to 60 reg., says that the common rail engines CBAA 100KW, CBAB 103KW (like mine), CBAC 105KW, and the CBBB 125KW all have a replaceable oil pump shaft. It looks quite easy to replace.

As far as I'm aware the following CR engine codes apply to the Octavia, Yeti and Superb range;

CAYC 1.6 105 - Octavia, Superb & Yeti

CBBB 2.0 170 - Superb to WK22/10

CBDB 2.0 140 - Yeti to WK45/09

CEGA 2.0 170 - Octavia & Yeti (Yeti to WK22/10)

CFFB 2.0 140 - Superb

CFGB 2.0 170 - Superb from WK22/10

CFHA 2.0 110 (250 N/m) - Yeti

CFHC 2.0 140 - Octavia & Yeti (Yeti from WK45/09)

CFHF 2.0 110 (280 N/m) - Octavia & Yeti

CFJA 2.0 170 - Yeti from WK22/10

CLCA 2.0 110 - Octavia & Yeti (India) (Yeti from September 2011)

CLCB 2.0 140 - Octavia & Yeti (India)

CLJA 2.0 140 - Superb (India)

Only the 2.0 engines fitted to the Superb appear to use a drive shaft for the oil pump, however the CBBB engine uses a 77mm shaft the rest use a 100mm shaft. From the old copy of the parts book there has been no update to the 100mm shaft but the 77mm shaft was updated in September 2010 (after the engine is listed as being withdrawn from the range).

Regards,

TP

Thanks TP. So does this all boil down to whether an engine was fitted with an oil pump with a drive shaft of 77mm and if so, if it has or has not been subsequently replaced by a shaft of 100mm, and that any engine with a 100mm shaft is OK and not likely to cause problems, at least from that source?. Thanks anyone, Tony R.

maybe it would be a good idea to ask for a print out of the sump and its components including the oil pump on the superb mk2 2.0 common rail engine and then compare it with a print out of the BSS engine code of the superb mk1, and then draw your conclusions. Failing that...extend the warranty. It might cost a few quid, but if your paying anything upto £20k upwards for the superb then the warranty will sound cheap and for a peace of mind i would go for it.

Bear in mind the cost of a new replacement engine plus labour to fit isnt exactly cheap as reported in previous threads. Incidentally i have a brand spanking new oil pump that i will be selling soon, but i dont think it is compatible with the newer common rail engines.But even then, i didnt think the oil pump would fail in my mk1 superb, and being bitten once has left me feeling rather short changed, as i thought our previous superb mk1 2.0 tdi would last a good few years. So if anyone is going to do some detective work with part numbers of oil pumps and compare, then i'd be happy to furnish the part number of the pump i have at present.

Unfortunately i have 3 weeks from the last oil/filters change. Next time i will discuss the matter and if it is not very exepensive i will change the oil pump drive shaft, make pictures, micrometric measurements an post here the result. The change will happen at 42-43 k km (around 25-26 k miles). Untill then, maby, if is not expensive, other guys can ask services to change the shaft and post here what was hapening in their cases.

extend the warranty. It might cost a few quid, but if your paying anything upto £20k upwards for the superb then the warranty will sound cheap and for a peace of mind i would go for it.

This is a very sensible thing to do IMO - even more so if the car has a DSG as well. :thumbup:

Just checked and yes ,, my 170cr engine is code CBBB, so I will be watching this thread closely. I also hope that SUK read this forum and decide to act before this situation is leaked to the likes of "Auto Express" which I subscribe to, and they seem to have developed a serious fondness of the Skoda badge.

The gilded bubble could just burst!! It will take a long time for the general public to forget the Toyota fiasco last year, Skoda could suffer a worse fate given bad press. Pressure should mount to force a recall in my opinion.

Just checked and yes ,, my 170cr engine is code CBBB, so I will be watching this thread closely. I also hope that SUK read this forum and decide to act before this situation is leaked to the likes of "Auto Express" which I subscribe to, and they seem to have developed a serious fondness of the Skoda badge.

The gilded bubble could just burst!! It will take a long time for the general public to forget the Toyota fiasco last year, Skoda could suffer a worse fate given bad press. Pressure should mount to force a recall in my opinion.

I think we should all write to Skoda UK giving details of our engine number (s) and ask for a written response stating what diameter drive shaft is fitted to the oil pump to that engine as there is a growing concern among owners and public in general re the discovered weakness of certain oil pump drive shafts fitted to the C R diesel engines which can cause the engine to suffer serious major damage and subsequent consequences, probably endangering lives not only of those in the vehicle but other road users and pedestrians. The Motoring Press , Watchdog and similar organisations will be picking up on the matter, so it will be in Skodas best interests to be ahead of any adverse publicity and be seen to be cooperating 110% to rectify the situation.

I got one of these CBBB engines too, thinking of getting rid of the car as soon as the warranty runs out now.

As for contacting Skoda UK, it will be a waste of time, they are next to useless "and that's from experience"

I got one of these CBBB engines too, thinking of getting rid of the car as soon as the warrentee runs out now.

As for contacting Skoda UK, it will be a waste of time, they are next to useless "and that's from experience"

That thought had crossed my mind, as I always (up to now) have traded in my cars at 3 years old. The sad bit is that I like my Superb so much that I had contemplated hanging on to it for a little longer.

Perhaps a poll on this forum would make SUK take notice?.

Edited by G.K.

I got one of these CBBB engines too, thinking of getting rid of the car as soon as the warranty runs out now.

I think so have I. I was thinking of keeping my car for a few years, so an aftermarket warranty, and/or checking or replacing the oil pump drive shaft would be my preferred options.

Either waiting until the warranty runs out or extending it is only part of the problem because from what I can make out, when the drive shaft misbehaves, the engine and turbo seize up without warning, and which can be extremely dangerous to persons in and without the vehicle. 20 years ago I had a backaxle seize up on me on a motorway and what a frightening experience that was. The car spun round without warning in the middle of the motorway of fast moving traffic heading for me and I was stuck, couldn't move or get out of the vehicle. Seeing the cars heading at speed towards me is something I don't want to experience again. I had to wait till the backaxle unseized and then slowly move to the side / hard shoulder. A seized up engine would have the same effect, and no thanks!!. And the concentration of traffic on the motorways is much heavier these days. So I still maintain Skoda must come clean and tell each owner if their engine is fitted with a 77mm oil pump shaft, if so, to replace free of charge and p d q. Otherwise they will have some serious questions to answer and claims to pay. If the Motoring Press get hold of this, the reputation Skoda have made such effort to build up will be shattered overnight, not only for putting unsafe vehicles on the road but refusing to do anything about it. So to the member who suggested a poll, I say, go for it. Tony R.

I have actually spoken direct to a skoda customer care person. and to be honest i'd have had more luck talking to a brick wall. If you have the misfortune of being out of warranty if say for example the oil pump fails and it is only out of warranty by a couple of months then SUK are simply not interested. One can ramble along all day about the car being virtually new, or it's had a number of services, or even say that the diesel engine has had a fault waiting to happen, and in my case it did, and they were'nt in the slightest bit interested. They said your out of warranty hard luck and goodbye!! They simply will not budge if the car has exceeded the 60k miles or 3yrs which ever is the sooner.

They are there to simply fob one off with the chances of a customer shelling out for basically all of the expense leaving themselves with hardly any expense at all, so it is a no win situation. I wasnt in a position to actually get the car repaired due to low finances and working out how much it would actually cost, and i kick myself for not having an extended warranty.But as it happens, my mother in law paid for the engine to be replaced at a independant garage, and the car was then sold.

As for car manufacturer's, only the likes of toyota and hyundai and vauxhall offer long warranties maybe kia as well, leaving the vw group of companies well short of customer care and offering descent warranties. It would be far better to put pressure on vw and get them to follow suit as regarding say a lifetime warranty. After all they rely on repeat business when the likes of us p/x our cars for newer ones, and for them to loose a customer who decided to go to a manufacturer who offer's a better deal is the way forward, only time will tell when they see the money in the coffers getting less and less as time goes by. At the end of the day the customer is always right !

I discuss the matter on the romanian VAG forum. It seems that Audi B7 2.0 TDI PD have the same issue: frequent wear of the oil pump drive shaft. Because under comunist time we trained ourselves to fix things (from plumbing to Dacia 1300 engine rebuilding), the guy explained that the shaft looks just like an No.6 imbus. By electrocorosion enlarged the hole in the oil pump up to no.8 imbus and confectioned a new shaft and strenghtened him by termic treament.

Hi,

My engine is CFFB (Superb 2.0 CR).

Honestly, I am a bit confused and worried about being affected by that issue. Unfortunately I am not an expert and it is difficult to me to understand what engines are suffering from this problem.

Can anyone tell me if the CFFB engine is one of these affected ones?

I really appreciate any help

Hi,

My engine is CFFB (Superb 2.0 CR).

Honestly, I am a bit confused and worried about being affected by that issue. Unfortunately I am not an expert and it is difficult to me to understand what engines are suffering from this problem.

Can anyone tell me if the CFFB engine is one of these affected ones?

I really appreciate any help

My car is the same as yours, also with a CFFB engine and would appear it depends when the engine was made, the info earlier in this topic saying a change was made in Sept 2010, so it is a question of when the engine was made, not when it was fitted as there is the chance Skoda had a bank of engines made and awaiting fitting into car bodies etc. I was also told some years ago, Skoda make all the diesel engines for the V W Group, so the problem could well be widespread. I assume if one were to write to Skoda with details of the car especially engine number, they would be able to reply saying what oil pump diameter shaft was fitted. And if the 77mm version, they should replace under guarantee. If not, I feel we must get the Motoring press onboard. Otherwise potentially dangerous situations in the offing? Tony R.

My friend owns a Skoda workshop. He says all the models all the 2.0 diesel CR or PD are affected by the bad design. They have a lot of broken engines.. Believe it or not :-)

Does'nt suprise me hearing that...the days of engine reliability on vw's part leaves a lot to be desired,has anyone seen the older vw's still on the road these days? says it all i think.All vw has done is improve the quality build on all their models, but forgot to include the engines and transmissions. The days of mass produced car's is fine, but they really should look into the reliability side of things, after all a new car these days represent a lot of money, and to have a new car in the garage being repaired is not a good form of advertisement.

As for motoring organizations sticking up for the motorist, well i've yet to see that happen...they seem to be all talk and no action, as most of them are sponsered by the car manufacturers, there's not a lot they can do basically, cept show off certain cars and keep faults down to an absolute minimum.