Lowest fabia thread

Thanks all for gouging speed bumps so that they are less comfortable for us normal drivers to drive over them. Think you are all silly (putting it mildly) and hope you get beached.

Good one.

I don't understand why you would say silly, what I don't get on with, is people telling me I should go lower when they have never driven around my town, speed bump galore! So I can't go any lower, if people can go down 60mm then do it, I can't go lower than a 25mm drop, so that's how far I've gone.

I don't understand why you would say silly, what I don't get on with, is people telling me I should go lower when they have never driven around my town, speed bump galore! So I can't go any lower, if people can go down 60mm then do it, I can't go lower than a 25mm drop, so that's how far I've gone.

Cos people who lower there fabia know it can go over anything. I have never scrapped on a speed bump. Ive been over about every type of speedbump to test it. So what you may think you won't get over you will. What part if your car do you think will catch??

I know that i'm one of those people James. It was never meant as a pop at you. Honestly, I felt exactly the same with the roads where I live when I was running eibach springs - the roads are also shocking here and there are loads of speed bumps. In particular there is a huge bump at the entrance to my road - totally unavoidable unless I fancy leaving my car on a main road, 200m away and out of sight from my house. Since having coilovers, through careful and slow driving, I have never once caught the car on this speed bump and have to go over it twice a day.

My point is, that I was never going to get coilovers as the roads are poor and there are loads of speed bumps. But since running coilovers, I realise that I really did not need to fear - with careful driving all the local speed bumps are manageable. my only regret is not doing it sooner. Also, the Fabia has a fair bit of space between the sump and the plastic under tray which some people are not always aware of.....

Are there any BS members running coilovers that live near you that could give you feedback on running coilovers in your area?

Thanks all for gouging speed bumps so that they are less comfortable for us normal drivers to drive over them. Think you are all silly (putting it mildly) and hope you get beached.

gouging??? - you mean it's my plastic under tray that causes that damage to the concrete/tarmac (depending on the variation) speed bumps?!?!

Nothing to do with the process of actually putting a speed bump into a pre-existing stretch of tarmac, by breaking the road up (weakening it), chucking down a concrete slab and then patching up the edges where it joins. The road is clearly weaker than it was and then gets ripped apart by the force of a heavy vehicle driving over it, leading to further 'repair' works required over and over and over. the problem with damage to speed bumps is due to their design and quick installation process....

Edit - I'm going to stop my reply there, as I feel that this is an attempt to troll.

Final thought - if you don't like low fabias, please don't come into the 'Lowest fabia thread'....

How can you make a speed bump less comfortable?

Never experienced a comfortable one in my life in any car!

If a lowered car had "gourged" a speed bump it would only affect the middle of it anyway which the wheels do not roll over so i dont get that point of that rant.

Oh and by the way my car is not lowered, just cant see why someone should flame post people about "gouging" speed bumps and affecting their comfort????!?!?!?!.

the only speedbumps my car dont like are the silly middle hump ones, i have to put one wheel on it otherwise it scrapes on the subframe, but never catch since i do this,theres a good few inches from the bottom of the subframe to the sump, never caught the sump.

And love the replys lol

^^^^^

Mines the same, although if the speedbump is short I kinda get beached on it if the front wheel drops before the rear comes up lol.

As for the man who thinks we make speedbumps worse (and dewipering is dangerous?) I feel I don't need to ad much to what others have said. :) troll me thinks

Matt

The worst speedbumps when im driving stevens fab is them stupid plastic 1s like the 1s in asda or multi storey car parks!! But i have to say we both laugh our heads off at peoples faces when they hear the "crunch" of the splitter which remains intact after a yr and a half of being fairly low :D

Edited by xxjodifxx

The worst speedbumps when im driving stevens fab is them stupid plastic 1s like the 1s in asda or multi storey car parks!! But i have to say we both laugh our heads off at peoples faces when they hear the "crunch" of the splitter which remains intact after a yr and a half of being fairly low :D

I dont seem to have issues with them, granted a crawl over them, but they are very low, so dont tent to damage much on them. Bit stiff tho lol

Matt

is this the same guy who thinks de-wipering is dangerous? :clap:

Scraping is the way to go :rock: although i cant see this destroying the amazing comfort of speedbumps somehow :wall:

What part if your car do you think will catch??

With mine, I think it's a metal bar which goes across the car, roughly underneath the front seats. I have no idea what it does, it droops towards the road as if it's there to support the weight of something but I haven't figured out what, or whether it's fine to take it off. I also catch the splitter if I'm pushing on a bit on uneven country roads, so I'm tempted to take it off. There's something about my splitter which must be fitted differently, it doesn't look anywhere near as neat as I've seen them on other Fabs, including yours.

With mine, I think it's a metal bar which goes across the car, roughly underneath the front seats. I have no idea what it does, it droops towards the road as if it's there to support the weight of something but I haven't figured out what, or whether it's fine to take it off. I also catch the splitter if I'm pushing on a bit on uneven country roads, so I'm tempted to take it off. There's something about my splitter which must be fitted differently, it doesn't look anywhere near as neat as I've seen them on other Fabs, including yours.

The one thing I thought I would catch on was the under tray but it seems whenever my wheels go over something so does my under tray if you understand what I mean,

With regards to the splitter did you trim the centre bits down? Any pics mate

Here's my under tray

43fbdb6d.jpg

Yeah, I'm not worried too much about the undertray/sump as it's positioned pretty much exactly where the wheels are along the length of the car, so as the wheels lift up over the hump they take the sump up with it, unless I had a suspension failure both sides and the whole lot collapsed onto the ground. It's the splitter and this random metal bar/brace that catch, as they catch when the wheels are either side of a hump.

As for the splitter, the centre bits have been trimmed, but not enough IMO (was fitted before I bought it) so it "droops" a bit in the centre, and in general just looks "too low". Needs taking off I reckon and I'll either trim the one that's on, or if it's too knackered after scraping it a few times, I'll either leave it off or replace for new. I don't have a pic but will grab one tomorrow when it's parked on the flat and you'll see what I mean.

I`v scuffed the "belly" between the wheels under the cill`s a few times as i said earlier, but theres very few speed bumps short enough to do that. It IS the sump that`s the issue tho, it sits pretty low, and even the slight iffy dip in the road, or simply the two "tracks" where the tyres go in the road to be lower than the centre part of the tarmac, and hey presto, sump get mullered. Its not the strongest of things to take a hit either, 3 mates have taken theirs out, they wasnt running silly low either, just caught out on dodgy road camber.

Matt

Probably a silly question but what happens If you do whack your sump?

Turn your engine off pronto and have a good check under your car. It will be pretty obvious if you are losing oil. Followed my mate once when he put a crack in his and it was burning oil on the exhaust, tried to get him to stop, but he thought I was joking! Told him 'if you value your car, you will stop!'

I've replaced my plastic under tray with one that's made of 2mm steel. It isn't as thick as the plastic one, so I now have more space between the under tray and the ground, although it still does scrape every now and then either on gravel or on tarmac if there are deep tracks for the wheels. Anyway, the steel under tray actually protects something, which is in what the plastic one failed at B)

Also I'd like to give in my 5 cents for the splitter discussion, I painted mine (along with the front bumper) around a month ago, and it has scraped badly twice already, so now I'm just going to get a "LOW HURTS ->" sticker pointing at it rather than worrying and replacing or repainting it :giggle:

I can get pics of the steel undertray for you if you want to see it. :think:

I think there was a metal undertray up for sale on here recently, but apparently they don't fit if you have a Forge FMIC (which I do) so no good for me. Sort of tempted by a shallow sump, but it's just skirting the problem which is that my area isn't that suited to low cars, and still doesn't deal with the splitter/random metal bar on speed hump problems.