My car caught fire!

I was teaching a friend to drive at a driver learning area.

He did slip/burn the clutch a little bit and it began to smell.

So I said lets take 5.

Opened the bonnet up and there was a bit of smoke, looked closer and the fan for the aircon was burning, then burst into flames!!!

I disconnected the battery (brute force. Why is there no quick release!) and poured what water I had in the car on the flames.

Kept smoudering for a bit but it went out.

IMAG0434.jpg

I phoned a friend as I didn't have the handbook on me to see what fuses to remove to disable the fan.

I removed numbers 3 and 12, both 5amp fuses.

I got it the 25 miles home ok.

Any ideas on what/why it happened?

Thanks

Pretty sure it's said NOT to open the bonnet if there's an engine fire, just realease the pull from inside the car as opening it can make it worse.

Of course, you didn't know it was on fire till then, but worth bearing in mind as a general tip.

Does seem odd as to why it went up though, hope it's not done too much damage.

Cooling fan fires are fairly common across most makes of car. Motor windings short out and the motor catches fire long before the fuse blows.

Thanks, feel a bit better now I know exactly what happened.

Should I just keep fuses 3 & 12 out until I get a new fan?

Thanks, feel a bit better now I know exactly what happened.

Should I just keep fuses 3 & 12 out until I get a new fan?

Yes, leave the fuses out and get a new fan in there ASAP. Wouldn't hurt to unplug the motor to be double safe.

Pretty sure it's said NOT to open the bonnet if there's an engine fire, just realease the pull from inside the car as opening it can make it worse.

Of course, you didn't know it was on fire till then, but worth bearing in mind as a general tip.

This is true if it is a major engine fire. When you open the bonnet fully, the fire gets more oxygen and therefore gets much worse.

You should crack open the bonnet with a gloved hand, then squirt a fire extinguisher through the gap - well that's what I've been trained to do as a car Fire Marshal. Probably in the real world the best thing is to call the fire brigade if it is a very big fire.

Anyway, I see it's a small fire, so I hope it hasn't melted anything other than the fan.

Edited by Jim H

' timestamp='1306086146' post='2398423']

what is a driver learning area? MacDonalds car park?

Very funny.

No its a MOD owned area on Salisbury Plain that is open to the public at the weekends.

I know I wouldn't let a leaner driver near my vRS... you are either brave or stupid lol

Haha

I promised to give him a lesson this weekend.

Would have used the MX5 (Mk1) but it's still in the garage getting a new clutch (not related :rofl: )

So had to use the Fabia. He got on ok & I made it clear: you bend it you mend it!

Very funny.

No its a MOD owned area on Salisbury Plain that is open to the public at the weekends.

I know the one, my old man lives near there :) lots of winchers up there!

happend to my car turns out it was something to do with the starter motor earth

What is it with Fabias & Earths?