Car Locking itself

5 members have voted

1. 1. Had this problem

• Yes
    • No

Hi all, have this problem with my Skoda Octavia 98 locking and unlocking itself among a few other things like the ventilation coming and going.

While trying to dismantle ventilation to check for blockages, I accidentally found where several wires earth.

Having touched them with a screwdriver, boom - all the doors locked. Did it again and they all unlocked.

Noticed one of the wires is badly green and oxidized and wondered if this could be the problem?

Does anyone know if you can simply clean the connection or if the wire would simply have to be replaced? If you can clean it, would it be appropriate to do it with a wire brush and some alcohol?

While trying to dismantle ventilation to check for blockages, I accidentally found where several wires earth.

Having touched them with a screwdriver, boom - all the doors locked. Did it again and they all unlocked.

Noticed one of the wires is badly green and oxidized and wondered if this could be the problem?

Does anyone know if you can simply clean the connection or if the wire would simply have to be replaced? If you can clean it, would it be appropriate to do it with a wire brush and some alcohol?

Where is this dodgy earthing point please? If its the same issue with mine ill just clean it with an abrasive and give it a good coating of copper grease or whatever.

BTW alcohol always helps... :D :beer:

Think he meant for the car not himself lol. :giggle:

I'd be intreagued to know where this wiring point was too please, usually you'd either take a small amount off the wiring and put a new connection on or clean it up with a wire brush or emery paper. If its inside the connector though, once you take the connector off, you'll have to put a new one on so it might be easier to take 1/2 inch off the wire before you put a new connector on the end. Copper grease always works well to stop re-corroding but this depends where the wiring it. Copper grease can get really messy and won't look pretty on clothing, carpets or seats if your not careful. Another suggestion is a tube that shrinks around the connector as it gets heated, simply heat the special connector and it'll create a vacuum seal around the wiring. Can't remember what they were called though sorry :'(

Hope this helps

Regards Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem with mine, only it was the rear wiper that had a mind of its own and the central locking kept going. Turns out it was the rear washer feed coupling underneath the autochanger in the boot. Reconnected the hose and bound with tape, unplugged all connectors and gave a healthy coating of contact cleaner and has been fine eversince.