Mk2 VRS mongrel

Ok - it's my first post here in the mk2 section, but please bear with me. I've got a chance if a rallye green hatch with 650 miles on the clock - but all is not sunshine and roses. The car is a Car D write-off. It was in a line if cars that was shunted. Needs boot lid, rear bumpers, wings, bonnet, headlights, bumper and loads of paint and TLC. Price is around £7400. But my thought is this - I don't like the rims or the STD bumpers - so was thinking about buying up the parts the turn it into a VRS/scout/monte Carlo mongrel. Scout arches door covers and bumpers, 17" scout rims with monte headlights and grill. Think it would look ok????

Yeah - could do. Was tempted to just order a scout 1.2tsi and get it mapped. But this came up - maybe a but if a laugh - get it mapped and a few other mods and see how it goes. I guess most of the mk1 parts on the chassis swop over?

Sounds nice! Gotta be honest, so long as you've got the time and money to spend nursing it back to health do it! It's so worth it.

If you decide to go for this project, I want to see lots of pics start to finish :p

Have done a few of these type of repairs over the years and one thing that you have to be careful of is you dont see all the small parts ie plastic trims and panels and clips and fixings that you need to buy usually from main dealer and these can push the price of the repair up considerably as these parts are hard to find at breakers because of muppets who stip these cars dont give a monkeys. :rofl:

Great idea and all the best.

My only concern would be if you try and sell it a CAT D is probably not worth hardly any money.

I would suggest that its worth making the insurance company a better offer (for you) than the 7,400 - try a cheeky 5,000 and see what happens.

Good luck though.