Replacement alloy wheels

Looking at my car yesterday, I noticed that the Thermisto alloys on my 2008 Superb are completely ruined.

As you may or may not know the Thermisto alloy wheel is a polished and then laquered wheel and not painted. All my wheels now show signs of laquer damage and I know from previous experience that its just going to get worse. Yes I could go to the dealers and get them replaced under warranty but 2 of the wheels have other damage sustained during the winter.

I am not to sure of the ET of the OEM Thermisto but I believe it to be an 18x7.5 5x112PCD wheel, I already have a set of RS6 replica alloys that had previously been used on my old Octy2, these are 18x8 ET42 5x112 PCD. They need a quick refurbish but then should be as good as new, but will they fit and how much more (if any) would they stick out compared to the OEM wheel. I'd also need to source some centres ( stickers no good as the current ones are domed plastic) which IIRC were 55mm.

The Lunas are ET46 so I would expect the Thermitso's to be the same.

This means that your reps will stick out another 4mm - nothing to be concerned about (that is assuming they are also 7.5")

8" rim is 1/4"(6.3mm) wider on the inside & outside, so they will sit further out by 6.3mm + offset difference of 4mm, i.e. 10mm

try this site http://www.willtheyfit.com/ - it will show visually the difference between two different wheel/tyre combinations. The wheel may be a little wider, but the tyre won't be (assuming you're going to stay with the same size). The other thing I would look at is the clearance on the front between the inside of the rim and the suspension. Seeing as you have the other wheels already why not just trial fit them?

Remember to inform Insurance of Aftermarket wheels, and PLEASE dont go for anything Chav'ery

... also, why not have your Thermisto's renewed? - going for a painted finish??

Al.

The rears will look spot on, the fronts will look ok if the car is lowered and it might still look ok if not?

The issue is not "will they fit" its "will they look OK", but at least you can try them if you've got the wheels.

Getting the Thermisto's refurbushed is a good idea too, as you can get them properly powder coated "all over" so you don't have that laquered face to corrode again, and you get to choose the colour too.

Looking at my car yesterday, I noticed that the Thermisto alloys on my 2008 Superb are completely ruined.

I had the same problem, the winter plays havoc with the Thermistos, so I ran steel rims with winter tyres last winter and the alloys refurbished by www.wheelgenie.co.uk in Huntingdon, did a good job, give him a call

All,

I had an issue with the 4 thermistos where the laquer looks like it was lifting.

As I bought my car in NI I put in for a warranty claim and they all are being replaced.

From comments above am I looking at having the same issue in the future.

The car was March 2009 model.

Has this issue appeared in newer versions.

Should I look and see if they can change them for a different alloy that doesnt suffer from this problem.

Also is this a common issue.

D

Huge problem on the Octavia Scout too as this model also has the polished finish.

Plenty of discussion / pictures here...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/123460-halting-alloy-wheel-lacquer-delamination/page__hl__delamination

I'm on my second set replaced under warranty. Its quite clear Skoda prefer to pay out on a few warranty claims rather than improving the durability of the surface finish. As a result they will at some stage delaminate again :thumbdown:

All got the alloys replaced under warranty.

The 4 of them were bad.

I also met with a local guy that for €60 each will clean and repaint the whole alloy. If it happens again Im going to go down this route.

To me the painted bits dont look any different to the bits with just laquered metal.

D

All,

I had an issue with the 4 thermistos where the laquer looks like it was lifting.

As I bought my car in NI I put in for a warranty claim and they all are being replaced.

From comments above am I looking at having the same issue in the future.

The car was March 2009 model.

Has this issue appeared in newer versions.

Should I look and see if they can change them for a different alloy that doesnt suffer from this problem.

Also is this a common issue.

D