K&N vs Green Cotton

K&N vs Green Cotton  

36 members have voted

1. 1. which would you buy

• Green Cotton panel filter
    • K&N panel filter
    • Standard Filter
    • Other

theres not really a definative thread on this, is there much difference between the 2? i dont believe the MAF problem with the K&N i think its a myth that has come between the 2, maybe a rival thing? but im just looking to know which you you personally pick.

Other - Pipercross foam. Ok, not on VAG, but foam filters are mass-market OEM kit, and cotton gauze aren't.

The MAF issue is normally caused by over-oiling the filter, so you could get it with any make of cotton gauze. Are Greens supplied pre-oiled and K&N not maybe?

Guest BigJase88

You dont need masses of air on a diesel runs on excess air anyways

Bmc cda is what you want

I,ve had both K&N and Green cotton...both ok....re the over oiling of the filter....you have to re-oil both K&N and Green cotton...both say oil...then leave to stand before using....well I leave them for 24hrs to stand on a thick wodge of paper before fitting...and I wipe any excess off the rubber sides as well!!!! Currently have Green cotton "Twister" filter as part of my CAI system that I built! B)

Currently have a K&N filter panel fitted. I have used them on previous cars too.

I changed it whilst on a rolling road and did not get any significant (or noticeable) change in power.

Dont waste your money. Stick with the standard one as there is very very little if any performance benefit on a diesel.

I agree.....standard filters have the best filtration and will flow more than enough air to feed a diesel. If you must go for an aftermarket Filter then a BMC, Green or K&N cotton panel filter are the next best but excess oil on them (especially after cleaning) can cause problems...try to avoid foam filters, poor filtration and have a tendency to break up when they get old, although they are not as bad as the metal mesh filters.

What about enclosed induction filters like bmc kn apollo etc.

With the crazy price of a pd160 pipe is it better now to go down the enclosed induction route for those that have a remap and want to get rid of excess smoke from the exhaust?

Im getting the shark remap soon and have seen countless threads on the pd160 and performance air filter to counter the excess smoke. If im going to spend £100 on pd160 and £40 on performance filter surely im better off getting the kn apollo of bmc cda ? Or should i just leave it all as standard as the remap will only be stage 1 ?

What about enclosed induction filters like bmc kn apollo etc.

With the crazy price of a pd160 pipe is it better now to go down the enclosed induction route for those that have a remap and want to get rid of excess smoke from the exhaust?

Im getting the shark remap soon and have seen countless threads on the pd160 and performance air filter to counter the excess smoke. If im going to spend £100 on pd160 and £40 on performance filter surely im better off getting the kn apollo of bmc cda ? Or should i just leave it all as standard as the remap will only be stage 1 ?

I`d just stick a standard filter in...instead of spending £100 on a PD160, why not just buy some ducting (Not the silver foil stuff)unless you want to keep it standard looking in the engine bay, in which case visit a scrap yard and pick one up for a tenner.

Enclosed cone filters are OK and will do the job fine...but they are overpriced for what they are...I made one once using a Generic fit cone filter, an old empty plastic paint tin covered in black sticky backed plastic and some ducting...sounds a bit "bodge it n scarper", but it looked spot on.

Looks like a Green cotton filter that has been fitted to a custom panel...looks a good idea...more surface area than a straight drop in filter! B)

I`d just stick a standard filter in...instead of spending £100 on a PD160, why not just buy some ducting (Not the silver foil stuff)unless you want to keep it standard looking in the engine bay, in which case visit a scrap yard and pick one up for a tenner.

Good luck finding a PD160 in a scrapyard.. 'Rocking horse ****' springs to mind. :giggle: