Electronic boot release failure

I haven't been able to open my boot for a couple of months now, I finally got round to actually checking the fuse box but there was nothing blown. I've not known a boot release to not work any more.

The annoying thing is that I always have to go in from the back seats to open the boot! How easy is it to change the release motor or make it work again? I hope it's not the actual button on the boot itself either, it still seems to click like it used to, but nothing happens when its pressed!

Any ideas on cost and time?

Thanks!

Leon :)

Does your rear washer work? A fault which can sometimes occur is that the pipe becomes disconnected and leaks water into the boot causing the boot lock to corrode slightly and become too stiff for the electronic release to operate. To fix it you'll need to get at the lock through the boot and open the tailgate, remove the tailgate trim panel, re-connect the washer pipe, strip and grease the lock mechanism with a waterproof lithium grease.

Does your rear washer work? A fault which can sometimes occur is that the pipe becomes disconnected and leaks water into the boot causing the boot lock to corrode slightly and become too stiff for the electronic release to operate. To fix it you'll need to get at the lock through the boot and open the tailgate, remove the tailgate trim panel, re-connect the washer pipe, strip and grease the lock mechanism with a waterproof lithium grease.

Hi buddy, I can open it from the inside, so nothing is seized or corroded from what I see, and the rear washer does still work. it just seems like there is no life when the buttons pushed, no sound of a motor or anything.

Leon

I Know this may seem a bit of useless information, but a few months ago, my mums Fabia did the same, the boot lock just didn't open. Fuses were OK. A month or so later, we were just about to take it to get any fault codes read (if any), when strangely it started working again. Strange, but true.

• 2 months later...

I have a problem with boot opening on a 2001 Fabia Estate, elegance trim.

The boot usually opens with a sort of electronic touch button (it doesn't really depress) which has stopped working. The lever by the drivers seat works fine though.

Any ideas what it could be? Everything looks fine around the lock and all the other electrics are fine - there wouldn't be a fuse just for this would there?

Ok - mine us to do this its an easy fix (if its the same thing) if you take the trim off the inside of the boot you see the wire that goes from the boot release goes to a little 2 prong connector - spray wd40 into the connector and put the connector in and out a few times. the points corrode quickly and cause a short. Fixed mine last winter - still good - and no mine wasnt leaking rear washer fluid either!

• Like 1

I have this problen on my 04 vrs. It works at some times during the day and not at others - i guessed it was a dodgy microswitch ???? I usually open it off the key fob...... Do you reckon the WD 40 may work for me?? Are you talking aboyt the smal ice of trim actually round the boot catch? (bottom part?)

I had this issue - eventually realised that it was nothing major - the wires to the switch itself had managed to come loose and break. I had to strip off the glue on the switch and crack out a soldering iron to re-solder a new wire onto it, and glue gun it back up.

Easy way to test: Unplug your switch from the inside of the boot, and bridge the connections on the plug with a screwdriver whilst the boot is closed. If it's the switch that's faulty, the motor will work and open.

Had the same issue a few months ago on my estate Fabia.

In my case it was the solenoid, which was typically on back order with Skoda. I would suggest getting the car checked out to see what fault codes apply, as it could be either the switch, solenoid or lock mech gone south.

Count yourself lucky if you have the remote release, Skoda deleted on the Classic which was a real pain. A month with no boot access...

Check the rear wash works as above, as this can take out the switch (but would/should pop the fuse).

No popped fuse could be solenoid (mine blew three times on the way out, but then stopped blowing when the solenoid finally gave up).

A good indy should charge about £80 for replacing and fitting (mine did!).

Hewesy

• 9 months later...

I know this is a very late reply but may be of help to future users. had the same problem with boot lock not operating, no sound of lock actuator etc.

Found that 1- It has it's own fuse that had blown so I replaced it.

But then 2- It still never operated lock----

So then I put a 12V low wattage rated bulb across plug to lock motor because voltage is too quick to measure with meter and the bulb was lighting up for a second each time.

This proving electrics were ok- stripped down sealed motor unit and applied 12v direct to motor bit of smoking/sparking etc. Blasted bare motor with contact cleaner and a little lube then motor spun up cleanly. Reassembled dose not matter if you break the tabs on :hi: sealed unit open as fixing screws hold it all together when re-assembled.

Just watch when you open the sealed unit as there is a coiled spring inside that shoots out.

All now works ok.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hy!

Sorry for digging up an old thread. I have an issue with my boot lid, when i start the car, it releases the boot lid and shows the doors are open sign. The boot lid is in slightly open position, so i cant open it, when i press the button it does nothing. After a while is sounds like the motor wants to close or open the lid, and when it does this i can open the lid. If the lid is open, and i push the lock to a locked position, the the open door sign goes away. Then if i close the lid it stays closed until the next start. Do you have any suggestions? -and yes my rear windscreen washer is not working, however i hear the pump is working. How can i disassembly the lid/lock to get a check on it? Do you have some kind of tutorial? :S

Thanks for your help...

for those with dud rear door/hatch motors( and none to be had from Skoda), a Heath Robinson cure is to obtain a 2wire door solenoid, a short length of bowden cable ( bike gear/brake ) , and any fittings needed . Mount the solenoid in a short length of plastc pipe/trunking in the boot ( fits next to spare tyre) and run bowden cable up to latch .

• 3 years later...