Improvements to 105bhp diesel

I could do with a little more oooomph from my 2006 1.9 105bhp Diesel. Not much, just a bit more tractability in the higher gears.

Before getting to the dissy heights of engine re-mapping etc, is there anything more basic I could do? Would a K&N air filter be a good place to start? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

You can spend all the money you like on bits like a K&N filter but at the end of the day you are never going to get as good an improvement as you would by a remap. I would seriously consider the remap in the first instance. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Ian

an uprated filter will do very little, but worthwhile adding, as you will see some benefit after mapping, a decat pipe would also be very beneficial in giving you some extra ooomph

Thanks for your quick replies,guys. So a re-map is the way to go? Bit worried about this. How safe is it, I'd hate to think my engine was running on the ragged edge of reliability. Why didn't Skoda do it as standard? Another thought; would I need to notify my insurers?

Regard,

Mike

No, it wont be running on the ragged edge, yes you must notify your insurer.

I am on my third remapped car, no issues.

Just ensure you use a reputable tuner, Jabbasport, r-tech, Shark etc.

For £250-300 you should have a reliable, progressive 135 ish BHP.

I have the same car and have just paid £277 for a remap including the STS unit that allows you to change back to standard whenever you like from Shark. If you didn't bother with the STS kit you can get a remap for £199 I think

Providing you don't use all the extra power all the time you will have no problem whatsoever. All engine manufacturers will err on the side of caution and tune cars to provide a lot less than the potential power they could produce, they have to take into account all the markets around the world and their differing and lower standards of lubricating oils and fuels. We have good quality fuel and oils in this country so all you will be doing is releasing some of the untapped potential of your motor. Remember the same basic engine provided 150bhp in the old VW Golf GTTDI and 130 bhp in the MkI Fabia vRS.

Ian

P.S. officially yes, as you will have made a modification to the car you will have to notify your insurers, most may put on a modest premium increase.

Edited by countryboy

Thanks for your quick replies,guys. So a re-map is the way to go? Bit worried about this. How safe is it, I'd hate to think my engine was running on the ragged edge of reliability. Why didn't Skoda do it as standard? Another thought; would I need to notify my insurers?

Regard,

Mike

Hi, I have my PD140 remapped from new, it now has 385,000kms on it and is still driving like a dream. Mine is a DSG and the box hasn't given one bit of trouble. With the bad economy, my company can't afford to change it, so I have set a "target" of 500,000kms to reach before it gets changed.

My point is............don't worry about remapping it.

Hi, I have my PD140 remapped from new, it now has 385,000kms on it and is still driving like a dream. Mine is a DSG and the box hasn't given one bit of trouble. With the bad economy, my company can't afford to change it, so I have set a "target" of 500,000kms to reach before it gets changed.My point is............don't worry about remapping it.

That's impressive 240k miles - you must spend your life on motorways!

No major faults in that time? Out of interest is it variable or fixed service?

Just goes to show a decent remap should not adversely affect wear and tear I suppose. :thumbup:

That's impressive 240k miles - you must spend your life on motorways!

No major faults in that time? Out of interest is it variable or fixed service?

Just goes to show a decent remap should not adversely affect wear and tear I suppose. :thumbup:

Its had two turbos (1 under warranty) and a DMF (warranty). But these are both problems that are common to the Octavia. It gets serviced every 15,000kms with VW505.01 oil and I change the fuel filter every service. I've also had the inlet manifold and EGR taken off and cleaned out on a couple of occasions.In January it aced its NCT (MOT).

I know 2 turbos and a DMF seems like a lot but if you take into account the mileage, I think its acceptable.