MDI option

I am sure I have missed something somewhere - but if I want to use my iPhone as a phone and music player can this all be done via Bluetooth or do I need to buy a lead or the £185 MDI - or both. I am buying an Elegance with the Columbus system fitted. I have (plenty of) time to change options before it is built.

Apologies if I am being dim but I've never had such well specced car before and certainly nothing like the multifunction Columbus.

Your iPhone will connect via the bluetooth option under drivers seat but this will only allow you to make calls. If you can stream music via blutooth you would not be able to change tracks etc without physically touching phone (AFAIK)

by adding the MDI option you will get a fly lead into glovebox that will allow you to charge iPhone/iPod and you will get full control of what music is playing via the MFSW and the Columbus display.

MDI allows for connection of most mass storage via USB (inc Portable Hard Drives) and iPod / iPhone / iPad's etc. It works well.

New(er) Bluetoothed cars allow for Music Streaming Via Bluetooth.

Al.

My MDI has goosed after 6 months. Waiting for dealer to sort it.

Works well when it does work however.

It depends how much you use your iPod. If you use it all the time then go for it, if not use SD card or transfer music to HDD.

MDI does not include the iPod lead. These are £28 through dealer or around £15 on fleabay.

Phil

Edited by philpix

I went for the MDI option so that everyone in family could connect their Iphones/Ipods to play their own music without having to worry about bluetooth connections for each and also for charging of these devices without having cables coming out of lighter sockets. I will also be using the USB connection for hard drives filled with music.

I went for the MDI option so that everyone in family could connect their Iphones/Ipods to play their own music without having to worry about bluetooth connections for each and also for charging of these devices without having cables coming out of lighter sockets. I will also be using the USB connection for hard drives filled with music.

You'll need two leads. One for the iPod and one for USB.

Phil

Sound quality from iPhone via MDI is fantastic and is much better than CD player or radio in columbus

If you want to play protected iTunes downloads at the best quality then MDI is the only (legit) way.

SD wont play iTunes downloads and I believe Bluetooth audio is a bit sawn off but I'm not sure if this is the case and even if it was would you notice at 120kph?

Edited by Gavn Tobin

I would just order the MDI with a USB lead, and then use a portable HDD to store your music. That way you can have up to 1TB of music always in the car, simply leave it in the glovebox connected and remove to update it.

I would just order the MDI with a USB lead, and then use a portable HDD to store your music. That way you can have up to 1TB of music always in the car, simply leave it in the glovebox connected and remove to update it.

What is the search and seek time like on a big HDD?