Tailgate LEDs

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are W5W's however you need the type that point down

Use a small flat bladed screwdriver and gently prise the cover off at the corners where the locating lugs are situated and the cover will lift off

Wow, thats pretty expensive ... :)

I went for these at Dealextreme. I think they are ok. More light than original, but cooler light (less RA-value, colour rendition).

£3.34 shipping included, but you could experience 2-3 weeks delivery time.

Sorry I got them confused with the number plate lights (I was 'working' at the time) ideally these are the type you need I bought a pair of these ones for £4.99, not quite sure why he has now got them at £104.97 though!!

Wow, thats pretty expensive ... :)

I went for these at Dealextreme. I think they are ok. More light than original, but cooler light (less RA-value, colour rendition).

£3.34 shipping included, but you could experience 2-3 weeks delivery time.

Just received a message from the seller, he has run out of stock and is waiting on more coming in which is why he put the silly price on them as nobody in their right mind would pay £105 for a pair of LED's :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

A MKII Superb combi (without sunroof) uses:

5x reading lights (2 in the front 3 in the rear) - these need to shine from the end of the bulb as in the ones on the left in the photo above.

4x footwell lights (2 in front 2 in rear) - bulbs on the right

2x tailgate lights - bulbs on right

2x puddle lights (in mirrors) - bulbs on right, I believe these have to be CANBUS / error free ones as well?

4x in the doors - these need a combination of bulbs in the end & in the side, they need to be CANBUS as well (not changed mine as they made the light too pink for my liking).

2x front side lights same as doors above Something like these (I have not used these EXACT ones it is purely to show you what style of bulb is needed

No just 4 which point downwards

The 360° ones from my experience are not as good as the directional SMD pictured above, ideally you want 5050 SMD's as these are the brightest you can get.

A MKII Superb combi (without sunroof) uses:

5x reading lights (2 in the front 3 in the rear) - these need to shine from the end of the bulb as in the ones on the left in the photo above.

Giz - do you have links for the these please by any chance?

Thanks Si

Giz - do you have links for the these please by any chance?

Thanks Si

So far I have some similar to the SMD's in the left of the photo above in:

I would not post a link to them though as TBH they are a bit too blue IMO. If you want white LED/SMD's then do not get anything higher than 4,300 - 5,000K .

I have these in the:

I am waiting for him to get another stock of them in (which is why they are £104 apparently - but according to his website he has a couple of thousand in stock, so I am not sure what to believe, he certainly wont sell any at that price :thumbdown: ) I then intend to use them in:

2x puddle lights (in mirrors) - bulbs on right, I believe these have to be CANBUS / error free ones as well?

Or I might try these ones? in the footwell lights as to my knowledge they do not need to be CANBUS bulbs.

These I am not changing for the reason below::

4x in the doors - these need a combination of bulbs in the end & in the side, they need to be CANBUS as well (not changed mine as they made the light too pink for my liking).

The sidelights I bought from Hauptmann as he had a few for sale, they were dearer than you can buy on ebay ettc BUT they are WHITE unlike many that have the blue tint to them.

2x front side lights same as doors above Something like these (I have not used these EXACT ones it is purely to show you what style of bulb is needed

For the doors you can use short body LEDS so that the light shines through both the clear and red part of the lens and it isn't too pink.

I bought ones similar to these (I can't remember if the ones I bought are canbus compatible or not)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x4-SMD-LED-HID-Xenon-White-Sidelight-bulbs-T10-501-W5W-/230630163389?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b2a103bd

Edited by Dustpuppy

Im sorry for such a stupid question: how do you remove the boot/footwell lamp covers? I've tried levering with 2 screwdrivers, but they only come out about a millimetre then stop. Same question about the rear reading lamp cover, I don't want to break anything, and I can find the plug things holding it up

Thanks

Josh