Anyone good with Radio Comms?

Jabbasport

Somebody at this location might be able to point you in the right direction, whether its a do-it-yourself job or commercial service provider:-

http://www.rsgb.org/operating/

Equally, have you considered just using text facilities on the existing mobile phone network. Range and transmission quality may be better than VHF - avoidance of the limitations imposed by VHF line-of-sight transmission requirement. And may be you could get it for free if a particular network sponsored the event. A shed load of smartphones, set-up for text as prime service with resort to voice/SMS/3G image streaming as required. Using this method, you'd also avoid liability for interference with any other equipment operating on site and wouldn't have to be responsible for carting around and setting-up all the kit.

Nick

Kev,

You could try contacting the local RAYNET group. They may already have a "sleeping" repeater system in existance. What frequency are you using?

Nick,

the problem with a text based system is that you connot guarentee instancy, as sometimes there can be a delay due to bandwidth, plus each person may have to pay for the messages (dependant on their individual set-up)

You could hire some PMR radios for the event and you could have your own base station and handhelds (cost?), what range/area are you covering if its a large area and hilly then like Kev says your local Amateur Radio RAYNET group could cover it using 2mtrs or 70cm with either cars/mobiles or handhelds with a possable crossband repeater. 73s G7MFK (Stuart)

:giggle: sorry nick !

Edited by sparky2

You could hire some PMR radios for the event and you could have your own base station and handhelds (cost?), what range/area are you covering if its a large area and hilly then like Kev says your local Amateur Radio RAYNET group could cover it using 2mtrs or 70cm with either cars/mobiles or handhelds with a possable crossband repeater. 73s G7MFK (Stuart)

Who said? :'(

Edited by Llanigraham

You could hire some PMR radios for the event and you could have your own base station and handhelds (cost?), what range/area are you covering if its a large area and hilly then like Kev says your local Amateur Radio RAYNET group could cover it using 2mtrs or 70cm with either cars/mobiles or handhelds with a possible crossband repeater. 73s G7MFK (Stuart)

We already have a selection of PMR radios, mainly Motorola GP320 and 340 on UHF. We've basically got everything to sustain suitable pit-car and pit-pit comms, but when racing at silverstone in varied conditions, especially fog at night we'll need to use a repeater to maintain steady comms. I was thinking of either getting hold of something like a Kenwood repeater, or making one out of 2 GM300s..

What i really need assistance with is Antennas... A duplexer sounds a bit complicated to me so was going to run with an antenna for rx and one for tx.

I really need some guidance on spacing between the two. I'm going to get them as far apart as poss to avoid saturating the rx antenna and was going to mount one higher than the other as i've read vertical separation is better than horizontal.

Cheers

Kev

Kev,

I thought Silverstone had their own comms system? Or do they want silly money to rent it?

You will find someone in the local Raynet group who will be able to give you advice about repeaters. Some of them can be very "anorakish".

A little bit off topic, but, can anyone tell me what type of radio this guy is using?

I keep seeing photos of people (mainly in Australia) with huge aerials on their 4x4s, what are they for, what sort of range do they get and why do they always seem to mount the aerials on the front bumper?

johntim-490-1.jpg

A little bit off topic, but, can anyone tell me what type of radio this guy is using?

I keep seeing photos of people (mainly in Australia) with huge aerials on their 4x4s, what are they for, what sort of range do they get and why do they always seem to mount the aerials on the front bumper?

johntim-490-1.jpg

Could be an AM CB or a Ham Radio set-up, 2mtre or similar.

Mounted at the front you can get a good length aerial without the risk of it being ripped off, which is easily possible with a roof or rack mount. I've got a couple of friends that mount the same way here, for green laning, but it can affect the directional use on FM CB.

Kev,

I thought Silverstone had their own comms system? Or do they want silly money to rent it?

You will find someone in the local Raynet group who will be able to give you advice about repeaters. Some of them can be very "anorakish".

They do, but that's obviously for Silverstone's own use, MSA etc.

Each team has their own PMRs, there's a few companies out there, MTRC and Autotel that offer their services to supply repeaters etc but i'd rather we did it ourselves to save cost..

Kev