Plastic welding - how strong is it?

Scathel

I'm in need of a bunded kero tank for new business premises, and a 2,500l tank has come up at a local auction, but the outer shell is damaged - cracked and a hole.

Does anybody know how strong plastic welding actually is? The damage is at the bottom rrear of the tank (I think a fork has gone through it whilst movng it to auction) so in the unlikely event of the inner tank rupturing, the repair would bear the full weight/pressure of potentially 2,500l of kero.....assuming I can ever afford to fill it up at today's prices!

Anybody have any experiences?

The repair would have to be a professional job, too late when it's buried.

I would be inclined to spread the total load over the widest area as possible.

Dig a trench wider and longer than container, layer base with sand, and bench out sides to shaped base of container.

Drop container onto sand, then pack down around remainder of tank with more sand.

If tank can't be buried as impractical, try supporting container with a cradle type frame-work and avoid supports near repaired area.

Good luck.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The repair would have to be a professional job, too late when it's buried.

I would be inclined to spread the total load over the widest area as possible.

Dig a trench wider and longer than container, layer base with sand, and bench out sides to shaped base of container.

Drop container onto sand, then pack down around remainder of tank with more sand.

If tank can't be buried as impractical, try supporting container with a cradle type frame-work and avoid supports near repaired area.

Good luck.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I think the OP is talking about a free standing tank her, not buried. I haven't a clue about plastic welding but whatever roate you go down make sure it is fit for purpose and meets at the oil and waste storage regulation. IF you had a burst and IF you were found to be using and inadaquately repaired tank the Enviroment Agency would come done on you big time.

Thanks for the advice, and for the contact details rwbaldwin.

I think the OP is talking about a free standing tank her, not buried. I haven't a clue about plastic welding but whatever roate you go down make sure it is fit for purpose and meets at the oil and waste storage regulation. IF you had a burst and IF you were found to be using and inadaquately repaired tank the Enviroment Agency would come done on you big time.

Aye, I'm talking about a freestanding tank, and the fit for purpose/Environmental Agency points were my reasons for asking as I would not like to get involved with anything that involves them. Building a frame work around it would be asking for attention too! But good points nevertheless.

Anyway, turns out the auction was this morning and not tomorrow morning, so at least now I'm better informed should such an item come up again!

Thanks again :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice, and for the contact details rwbaldwin.

Aye, I'm talking about a freestanding tank, and the fit for purpose/Environmental Agency points were my reasons for asking as I would not like to get involved with anything that involves them. Building a frame work around it would be asking for attention too! But good points nevertheless.

Anyway, turns out the auction was this morning and not tomorrow morning, so at least now I'm better informed should such an item come up again!

Thanks again :thumbup:

See your from East Lothian - was it the aution at Phantassie?

Although I live in the Borders I work in Haddington

See your from East Lothian - was it the aution at Phantassie?

Although I live in the Borders I work in Haddington

Sorry, I missed this post.

Aye, twas the auction at Phantassie indeed. The farm's looking in a right sorry state since last time I was there some years ago.

Suppose it'll be turned into townies-living-in-the-country-but-close-together-cos-they're-scared-of-the-dark steading conversion soon though.

And apparently the damaged tank went for very little......