Fabia VRS / Ibiza Cupra / Polo GTI

takksi

Hi, I'm looking at the three flagships of the VAG superminis, Fabia vRS, Ibiza Cupra and Polo Gti and I found out there are these differences between them - does anybody have any idea why and how please?

Emissions:

Both Fabia and Ibiza are the same - 148 or 149 g/km, but the Polo is 138 or 139 g/km

Consumption (urban - to take worst case scenario):

Fabia - 37 mpg

Polo - 38 mpg

Ibiza - 34 mpg

The Polo seems to be the best option (best emissions and lowest consumption), the Ibiza the nicest looking option, the Fabia the most value for money option... but do you have any idea why the differences in consumption and emissions above pls?

Thanks.

• Like 1

You forgot the Audi A1 but unless you're made of money then it may be out of reach.

Volkswagen has slightly better consumption in terms of CO2 and MPG as well as a slightly bigger options list as VW need to do something to warrant the extra £3000 to £4000 asking price.

P.S The fact you said "flagship" made me feel a bit better inside :thumbup::D

You forgot the Audi A1 but unless you're made of money then it may be out of reach.

Volkswagen has slightly better consumption in terms of CO2 and MPG as well as a slightly bigger options list as VW need to do something to warrant the extra £3000 to £4000 asking price.

P.S The fact you said "flagship" made me feel a bit better inside :thumbup::D

it is the flagship ain't it :))

TBH, I didn't even consider the A1 (same reason you said hehe).

My decision mainly rests between the Fabia and Ibiza. Ibiza looks nicer, but the fact that it does almost 4mpg less (always referring to urban) worries me a bit.

Another worry though is the noisy cabin of the Fabia Mk2. I had a Mk1 before (1.4 MPI) and now I have a Mk2 (1.2 HTP), and there's quite a difference between them. The Mk1 was much smoother, and the ride was so better. What I'm afraid of is that the vRS will actually have a worse ride than the 1.2 HTP and will be noisier.

Any thoughts since you seem to own one? ;) I still love the Fabia, especially since it's the most value for money one. Although I definitely want the option for auto-lights and auto-dimming mirror lol.

Differnt bodies will have different drag coefficients and also they do differ in kerbside weight. If I was you I would choose the best one to drive or the best looking one, the price would come into it as well.

Differnt bodies will have different drag coefficients and also they do differ in kerbside weight. If I was you I would choose the best one to drive or the best looking one, the price would come into it as well.

Well... the best looking (in my opinion at least) is the Cupra - but then it does 4 mpg less than the Fabia.

Besides I'm a bit brand-loyal towards Skoda...

You'll find your driving style will have more to do with real life mpg than official figures. You comparing like for like engines?

You'll find your driving style will have more to do with real life mpg than official figures. You comparing like for like engines?

Yes of course. vrs/cupra/gti all have the 1.4 TSI VAG engine with DSG - that's why i was so puzzled with the difference in mpg and co2.

MPG and CO2 will be roughly the same. So don't make it a factor.

Ride, comfort and interior (to some degree) seem to be the factors for you.

The ride for the most part is good on the MKII. I do 60miles a day on A roads and it's not bad. Potholes will annoy and large one's will send a heavy jolt through the car though.

Interior is good quality for me. Very tidy. From what i've heard in comparison, better than SEAT who always seem to let themselves down on interior.

You'll get some wind noise at 70-80mph for sure. I find it acceptable, especially as I always have the radio on anyway. Only way to find out, is it to test drive :thumbup:

From what i've heard in comparison, better than SEAT who always seem to let themselves down on interior.

I've heard that one too.... apparently Seat have very cheap plastics!

P.S. - if I get it I'll have to drive it to Malta; well or ship it - but I guess it's much more fun driving it :))

I've heard that one too.... apparently Seat have very cheap plastics!

Really?

I had a MK1 Octavia, and a similar aged Leon, and the Leon had a much better interior.

The Leon had more shiny plastics (which aren't to everyones taste), compared to the dull finished plastics on the Octavia. After 80k miles, there were far less rattles and issues with the Leon.

Really?

I had a MK1 Octavia, and a similar aged Leon, and the Leon had a much better interior.

The Leon had more shiny plastics (which aren't to everyones taste), compared to the dull finished plastics on the Octavia. After 80k miles, there were far less rattles and issues with the Leon.

ah the more i hear the more i get mixed up :S to be honest, shapewise i prefer the ibiza - it's much sexier. also, here in malta, the seat dealer gives 2 years warranty whereas the skoda one gives 5 years warranty...

to be honest, i don't like the shiny parts much - as you said it's a matter of tastes obviously, it doesn't mean that they're not nice...