Sell my TT and go to a vrs? Opinions.

Hello.

Maybe, 6 months ago, i bought my first fabia vrs.

However, within a month i had spent £1k odd repairing, new steering rack etc etc.

After a month or so, the oil started going missing, and not leaking!

I went to numerous garages and for them to say either 'Your lying" or "We dont know"

After all this i started having fueling issues and had it all drained for the fuel to look thick and black...

i got rid of the car for cheap.

I now have got myself a TT 225. Its a lovely car, but at 19, its getting quite expensive since im moving jobs alot etc atm and 26mpg doesnt feel good! + a £400 service coming up...

Ive had an offer for cash on it next week...

The decision is, can i go from 225bhp to the vrs?

I thought my old fabia was quick, but i found out it had been clocked by over 70k miles and i didnt know what servicing or condition it was in!

Anything to tempt me buying a fabia?

As above really you must have have got ripped off with buyin that shed, as a standard car yes it would be a bit of a downgrade but with the advice on mods you can do to bring it up to similarl sort of power from the guys on here then it's got to be worth doing should save you a bit on running costs too.

I had a 2000 reg TT 225bhp for 18 months. Loved the car but had a couple of things go wrong in the time i owned it, new fuel pump,wheel sensor etc.plus the every day running costs and servicing, worked out an expensive car to run. I travel about 400 miles a week so i thought it was time to change back to Derv, Joined the forum and checked out the info on what to look for when buying a Fabia vrs and purchased a good one. ( Had too travel a bit ) Had the car 8 months now and have made a couple of changes, the car has been remapped to 180bhp, Audi TT 312mm front brakes with EBC grooved discs, Jabba sport rear ARB. Ok not as good looking as the TT and a little down on the power but do not regret it one bit, apart from missing the heated seats at the start of the year.

My advice is do it! Saving a fortune on fuel, parts and servicing. ( no problems so far ) Lots of helpful people/info on here to give advice on buying, mods and ownership

On another note:

How can a tdi sound that good aha. Should stop browsing youtube this late (or early?)

is that the 4wd fabia? i think it sounds so good cause all we can hear is the turbo lol sounds class, great good cooling sitting there too lol

ps thats a big intercooler lol

Edited by wilsy7

Well neither handle particularly well out of the box.

Both are pretty widespread VAG cars. The usual issues that dog them are well known.

If you're going to be doing big miles, then some sort of diesel makes sense, though modern direct injection petrol engines definitely do better on the MPG than say a 1.8T. It does come down to the right foot though!

I'd consider the Ibiza FR TDI as well. Though IMO neither Fabia nor Ibiza ride particularly well. The Ibiza will handle better out of the box. If you're after modding it and lowering it, throw that last statement out the window - LOL.

Had an Ibiza FR TDI and just got rid of the vRS for a new shape vRS Estate.

I think if you find a good MK1 vRS you'll be really happy, otherwise look at the Ibiza FR/Polo GT. All the same apart from looks really. IF you can't afford to run the TT i'd consider a diesel or drive slower :D

I just moved from a 290bhp to a vRS, will need some work but looking at a couple of example on here it can have potential and on the plus side it can be a project to keep you busy for the next couple of years

• 1 month later...

I had a 2000 reg TT 225bhp for 18 months. Loved the car but had a couple of things go wrong in the time i owned it, new fuel pump,wheel sensor etc.plus the every day running costs and servicing, worked out an expensive car to run. I travel about 400 miles a week so i thought it was time to change back to Derv, Joined the forum and checked out the info on what to look for when buying a Fabia vrs and purchased a good one. ( Had too travel a bit ) Had the car 8 months now and have made a couple of changes, the car has been remapped to 180bhp, Audi TT 312mm front brakes with EBC grooved discs, Jabba sport rear ARB. Ok not as good looking as the TT and a little down on the power but do not regret it one bit, apart from missing the heated seats at the start of the year.

My advice is do it! Saving a fortune on fuel, parts and servicing. ( no problems so far ) Lots of helpful people/info on here to give advice on buying, mods and ownership

i have just done this move and i will never look back, 95% of the fun at double the mpg :-)

only thing i miss is the leather smell,heated seats and bose audio

Just done this.

From 280+bhp TT:

IMAG0327.jpg

To vRS:

IMAG0328.jpg

I wasn't sure at first that I'd made a wise decision but the vRS has grown on me and I do like it now.

As said I massively miss the Bose stereo in my TT and the blueflame exhaust note.

I did manage 430miles out of a tank of super just before I sold the TT which was about 42mpg which I thought was pretty good.

Computer on the vRS is showing 64mpg since I picked it up.

G

so far i have kept up with a few big cars and thats with a standard vrs :-) i can only imagine this little machine will be a menace when i fit cupra r brakes,coilovers,seat intercooler and a nice remap

Just done this.

From 280+bhp TT:

IMAG0327.jpg

To vRS:

IMAG0328.jpg

I wasn't sure at first that I'd made a wise decision but the vRS has grown on me and I do like it now.

As said I massively miss the Bose stereo in my TT and the blueflame exhaust note.

I did manage 430miles out of a tank of super just before I sold the TT which was about 42mpg which I thought was pretty good.

Computer on the vRS is showing 64mpg since I picked it up.

G

That tt is lovely

The VRS is just more subtle. It's got a different target market.

Always thought the TT was a bit of a posers car, but maybe that's the hairdreser image. They go well though, but never taken to them myself.

Horses for courses I guess. Give me a tweaked VRS that can surprise people and still get twice the mpg they are any day.

Probably not a common view, but I could have bought a mkII Fabia VRS, Audi S3, TT... with what my diesel VRS stands me in. Still glad I chose a mkI SE and went the modification route earlier this year. Much more personal too, the car is unique and it's mine. B)

The VRS is just more subtle. It's got a different target market.

Always thought the TT was a bit of a posers car, but maybe that's the hairdreser image. They go well though, but never taken to them myself.

Horses for courses I guess. Give me a tweaked VRS that can surprise people and still get twice the mpg they are any day.

Probably not a common view, but I could have bought a mkII Fabia VRS, Audi S3, TT... with what my diesel VRS stands me in. Still glad I chose a mkI SE and went the modification route earlier this year. Much more personal too, the car is unique and it's mine. B)

You've done really well :) just wish you could fit the standard 16" wheels on and it would look perfect lol oh and you still need NOS! Lol

That tt is lovely

It is/was! Previous owners had spent thousands on it. Obviously I got to hear everyone's opinions on the TT being a girls/hair dressers car during ownership but I just smiled and humoured them. Some may be a little lame such as the 150bhp FWD roadster variant.

To be fair though even mates who previously disliked TT's liked this one. It went really well with the mods done and it looked the part with the V6 styling etc....

There's now a very lucky 22yr old rolling around Reading way in it!

DSCF3141.jpg

DSCF3082.jpg

002.jpg

PB150350.jpg

gtt2.jpg

_1010653.jpg

_1010640.jpg

_1010637.jpg

_1010621.jpg

_1010620.jpg

_1010612.jpg

_1010605.jpg

_1010602.jpg

That TT looks great!! Love the interior. Plus some great photography, what camera did you use to create those pictures?

Have to say not to be biased ill stick happily in the vRS camp. I can never tier of surprising more "saught after" cars. Mine isnt exactly a slouch and I cant wait to get my teeth stuck in to make it a true drivers car. With some of the excellent modifications you can make to this car. As well as this im 22 and the insurance is fantastic!!! MPG is great!!! And the road tax doesnt exactly leave me sweating with fear when the tax renewal letter pops through the letter box.

I can understand your concern mate I can, but I think give it some time and you wont regret it at all.

Edited by TorqueXIsXCheap