1.4tsi costs to run vs 1.9tdi

I am currently looking to buy a one to two year old Octy. I was originally going to get a 1.9tdi over a 1.4tsi because of the mpg, but have now realised I won't be doing the mileage to justify the expensive servicing. Whilst being a bit anal about estimating the cost of motoring over the next six years, I wonder if the TSi will be almost as expensive to maintain as a TDi owing to the fact it has a turbo and associated gubbins to be serviced and maintained? The car is going to be a keeper, so I am looking at whole life costs over about 6 years/72000 miles.

I guess the Tsi is still a relatively new unit to know about reliability etc, open to suggestions?

Check this site http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/

Go into the tools section and then car running costs.

select the miles and how many months and it gives you a good idea.

This is what a lot of companys use to detrime running costs for thier company cars.

It is really for New cars but will give you an idea.

Edited by ruffday

As I understand, 1.9tdi has no DMF, and 1.4 petrols don't have the torque to cause too much trouble?

My Octy II & Superb II 1.9 Tdi's were both without DPF's. The 1.9Tdi can be relatively cheaply remapped (£275ish) to give circa 140 bhp and average economy of 55+ (based on my Superb II).

A standard 1.9Tdi has plenty of torque and will be a more relaxing drive than the 1.4Tsi.

I am currently looking to buy a one to two year old Octy. I was originally going to get a 1.9tdi over a 1.4tsi because of the mpg, but have now realised I won't be doing the mileage to justify the expensive servicing. Whilst being a bit anal about estimating the cost of motoring over the next six years, I wonder if the TSi will be almost as expensive to maintain as a TDi owing to the fact it has a turbo and associated gubbins to be serviced and maintained? The car is going to be a keeper, so I am looking at whole life costs over about 6 years/72000 miles.

I guess the Tsi is still a relatively new unit to know about reliability etc, open to suggestions?

Mates got a TSi golf , and its fuel consumption is lots worse than my 1.9tdi 130 bhp octy , if he drives around at a steady 60 lucky to get 45 mpg compared to my 55mpg and thats not doing 60 !! He regrets doing it and wishes he had the diesel . oh and bits keep falling off , and the aircon is knakerd anf its only 14 months old plus a horrible front wheel tyre noise .

I have had a 1.4 TSI from new (15 months ago) and the mileage is now just under 10k. Fuel consumption initially was disappointing - generally in the mid to late 30's with about 43 the best I could ever do on a long motorway journey sticking to 70 mph. However in the last couple of thousand miles things have started to improve a lot - a recent 300 mile motorway trip mainly at 70 resulted in 49.6 mpg. Day to day running is now giving around 39 and 45 is easily possible on local runs. The TSI engine produces plenty of torque all the way from 1500 to 4500 rpm and is so smooth and refined and in comparison I thought the 1.6 diesel was abysmal (and that is being kind) when i test drove it - but of course many people have got used to diesels and don't appreciate how good a modern petrol engine is. The only thing that I don't like is that cruising above 75 sees dramatic increases in fuel consumption - cruising at 80 means 35 mpg. My old BMW 528 (E39) is much more economical at high speed ......

My Octy II & Superb II 1.9 Tdi's were both without DPF's. The 1.9Tdi can be relatively cheaply remapped (£275ish) to give circa 140 bhp and average economy of 55+ (based on my Superb II).

A standard 1.9Tdi has plenty of torque and will be a more relaxing drive than the 1.4Tsi.

Think your getting your acronyms crossed mate! :giggle:

They are talking about a Dual Mass Flywheel DMF not the Diesel Particulate Filter DPF.