Panoramic roof

My Roomster has a panoramic roof which is really nice, but in the really hot sun the aircon struggles to cool the car even on longer journeys. I've done the usual things like get the a/c refrigerant level checked and ride with the windows open for the first five minutes, then set the fan to number 4 (max) with recirc on. I suppose the a/c compressor on the 1.4TDi 80 just isn't powerful enough to cope with the extra heat load from the glass roof.

In this forum a while back, someone had suggested putting some reflective insulation, which I had planned to leave on until the summer temperatures cooled down... putting 'bubble-wrap' type foil insulation in between the glass and the blind. This has worked pretty well and the aircon cools the car a lot more quickly. However, what concerns me is that the glass roof now at times gets extremely hot, it feels much hotter than the metal panels.

I obviously don't want to risk a cracked roof and wonder whether I should swap the insulation for some without the foil facing the sun/glass?

It would make sense that the A/C can keep a car that is built with a sunroof cool in "normal" temperatures for the market where it was sold. Otherwise it is not fit for purpose and from reading other owners comments about cars with a sunroof it would seem to be the case that the car does not become uncomfortable in hot weather.

It would make sense that the A/C can keep a car that is built with a sunroof cool in "normal" temperatures for the market where it was sold. Otherwise it is not fit for purpose and from reading other owners comments about cars with a sunroof it would seem to be the case that the car does not become uncomfortable in hot weather.

I've also read the other owners comments; I wonder whether the 1.9 engined Roomster perhaps has a more powerful a/c compressor, or that lighter coloured cars absorb less heat. However, I'm not going to replace my Roomster with another one just because of that; but to be on the safe side I might just put some cardboard under the glass roof rather than the reflective insulation. I'd rather be a bit too warm at times than have a cracked glass roof ;-)

I would imagine that prior to this option being available for sale there would have been sufficient "temperature testing" to ensure that the glass roof could cope with the extremes of hot and cold.

You mention that you put the A/c on 4 with recirc.... try using the A/C without recirc.

It is my understanding that the recirc function essentiall "recirculates" the cabin air, hence it's not getting any cooler as you are essrntially recirculating warm air??

I would imagine that prior to this option being available for sale there would have been sufficient "temperature testing" to ensure that the glass roof could cope with the extremes of hot and cold.

You obviously dont know the power that marketing/design departments have over engineering.

Experience in my Alhambra shows, the more glass there is, the more the greenhouse effect. My alhambra has a glass sunroof in addition to climate control. Pulling the blind/cover back in sunny weather is too much to bear. I imagine a panoramic sunroof, though impressive in the showroom or on a dull day, is absolutely unbearable on a sunny summers day.

Recirc + a/c is the way to get the coolest cabin (cool air in the cabin is re-cooled instead of having to cool warm air from outside). The snag is of course that after 20 minutes recirc you can start to suffer from oxygen starvation!

Edited by xman

The AC should cope, I saw a number of Roomsters with panoramic roofs whilst on holiday in Spain, and with temps around 40c outside they were still driving with the windows shut. The car is designed to run in climates for hotter than the UK, so the AC should be able to cope with our low 20s temps.

It might be worth checking that the pollen filter is not blocked with leaves and other debris that will restrict the airflow into the cabin. Running on recirc for longer than say 5 mins can be bad for your health as the air becomes stale in the cabin, the AC should provide sufficient cooling when not on recirc once the interior has cooled whilst in recirc.

I'd have thought it should as well, we've had ours three years now and run in hot days and had no problems, I tend to have the front blind closed, though, as i prefer the extra light it gives but not that much extra!

I have not used the blinds during the two years I have owned the car. I love the light-and-airy feel of the glass roof and the aircon works fine.

I agree with Robjon. I have had my Roomster for almost a year and never used the blinds. Most of the time I don't even need to use the air con except on really hot days.

My last car had a sunroof and most of the time I needed to close the blind due the strength of the sun. So there must be a coating on the Roomster roof which takes the sting out of the sun.

So much nicer with the all the light in the cabin.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1.6TDi bought in January and cannot say I have had any issues with the car getting too hot due to the Panoramic roof. I have just returned from a fortnight in the south of France which is much hotter and sunnier than here and the aircon coped fine and the car was probably cooler than our trusty Fabia 1.9TDi which we have used in previous years. I suspect that the paint colour has an impact...dark colours absorb more heat and the Fabia is Dark Blue whereas the Roomie is grey metallic.

I have a 1.6TDi bought in January and cannot say I have had any issues with the car getting too hot due to the Panoramic roof. I have just returned from a fortnight in the south of France which is much hotter and sunnier than here and the aircon coped fine and the car was probably cooler than our trusty Fabia 1.9TDi which we have used in previous years. I suspect that the paint colour has an impact...dark colours absorb more heat and the Fabia is Dark Blue whereas the Roomie is grey metallic.

can not fualt my roomy when people look at it they can not beleave that sunroof and never close the blinds at all

great car pete

• 9 months later...

My roof blinds had a self opening function from new, on hot days if the car was left unattended I would return to open blinds and an oven, frosty days if I went over a bump they would open. As I rarely open the blinds I put a piece of gaffer tape on the handles to keep them shut and waited for my first service to fix the blinds, and the nsr window( which had it's own ideas on when and how it would react to the switch). Window fixed on the service, and the blinds were fixed today with a magnetic catch and a new runner. It looks better than Gaffer tape! It now feels vey secure and requires a good tug to open, excellent.