Radio problems

Hi

My factory fit radio has recently started to become very bad at picking up radio signal. I've tested other cars driving the same route and it is fine. Mine will only pick up in areas that are VERY strong with signal.

I'm guessing it either has to be the aerial or the unit.

Anyone had similar issues?

Which radio? If it's the Stream hold the menu button for 10 seconds until the display shows ANT at the top left. It should show ANT ON if it displays ANT OFF then the problem is the aerial booster in the base of the aerial unit. This is a common problem.

Yes it says Ant Off

What's the fix?

Some have opened up the base of the aerial and cleaned the corrision and repaired the unit, otherwise new aerial required. I assume it's out of warranty.

Edited by moley

It was in warranty 2 weeks ago when I highlighted the problem. It came back no fault found. I am dubious as to the extent at which it was investigated.

Now it's out of warranty but as a matter of fairness I would like it repaired FOC.

Will contact them tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

If it says 'ANT OFF' will that mean the aerial has NO power feeding it so it WILL be a bad signal ? I thought all of our aerials req a 12v feed as there are amplifiers built in,would the aerial switch off the power or will the radio sence there is a problem ? cheers - Stuart

Usually the amplifier circuitry in the aerial base corrodes due to water ingress and that is what is being registered. Ibnvariably you replace the whole aerial, including base, and it all works fine again. From that I would assume that the radio is still supplying power but the aerial base is knacked so the signal strength is so low that the radio displays 'Ant Off'