The old leaky rear door issue!

Hi guys, back to the good old leaky rear door issue! :S

I have done the usually suggested repair but, alas, still have a problem with water ingress! :no:

The repair was completed only 3-4 weeks ago and with the rain we have had of late, it has become apparent that the issue is still not resolved so I am looking for further ideas........... :dull:

Any help much appreciated!

Perserverence! Use hosepipe on the door in question then press gently on the carrier to see where the hole is! Be careful not to make more holes by pressing too hard! If you run a dry finger along the bottom of the carrier you should feel where it's wet! Then just seal over the top of your old sealant. Hope that helps.

Zero problems with mine since I did it last year. I can't remember exactly what I used though - I think I got it from Homebase and it was the stuff MoggyTech had recommended somewhere.

When I did mine I pressed as hard as I could around the metal carrier thing at the edge, where you can the grey OE foam seal, and squeezed out as much water from the foamy seal as possible. I think I then cleaned around the area with white spirit, then just put plenty of sealant around the edge and pressed it in with my thumb pretty much until the groove between the carrier and door was completely filled. It's not particularly tidy, but it's done the job :yes:

Hi guys, back to the good old leaky rear door issue! :S

I have done the usually suggested repair but, alas, still have a problem with water ingress! :no:

The repair was completed only 3-4 weeks ago and with the rain we have had of late, it has become apparent that the issue is still not resolved so I am looking for further ideas........... :dull:

Any help much appreciated!

Possibly the parts were still wet when you did the job. Also possible is that the rivets themselves sometimes leak.

I've not tried it but I think flashing tape could be used to effect a repair. Not entirely sure how well/badly it goes around corners though...

J.

Plumbers Gold.

Recommended by a few on here, and now recommended by me. Normally used for trade, and even seals under water.

Can be brought from toolstation, even ebay, its on ebay for a fiver!

I painted the inside of the door with the stuff, not one drop since.

Just a thot....

Does your car have a sunroof? Sealed my doors three times! to find water still coming in. Turned out to be coming from the sunroof down a drain pipe which was kinked and leaked into the rear footwell, instead of out to the exterior of the car.

Try also using sikaflex ebt, available from srewfix it sets well in damp/wet conditions and is also easily finished smooth.

Edited by Martyn-vrs

When I did mine, I cut/trimmed away a lot of the original foam/spongey seal stuff to leave me a blank canvass to work with. After this, I used a really thick sealant and was able to press it right into the gap where the original sealant was between the door outer and inner layers. Not a drop since :)

When I did mine, I cut/trimmed away a lot of the original foam/spongey seal stuff to leave me a blank canvass to work with. After this, I used a really thick sealant and was able to press it right into the gap where the original sealant was between the door outer and inner layers. Not a drop since :)

Yes agreed, its very helpful to get as much of the old foam seal out, then either fill the gap well by rubbing it in repeatedly, or (better) add some self tapping screws, after the sealing, in carefully chose places along the bottom of the carrier to pull up the gap. The old foam can stick through and when you rub your finger along it wipes the sealant off the foam, which still lets the water through as its just spongey stuff.

HTH