Fabia vRS curb weight is....?

Quoted weights do differ. Do you mean the manufacturer quoted kerb weight? As obviously it depends what fuel level and if you include the driver.

I seem to recall the original quoted Skoda figure for the vRS was 1310Kg.

I'd imagine it depends on options selected to a certain extent.

I'd expect those with sunroofs to be slightly heavier for example

because of the mechanism, motor and glass. Things like leather or

CD autochanger will also add weight if you think about it.

Nip down your local council tip and ask to pull up on the weighbridge,

(most will have one.) Then you'll know for sure.

There is something in the manual I think...

I'll have a look... :thumbup:

Seem to recall Skoda quoted the kerb weight as including driver and a full tank of fuel.

So 75kg for the "Average" driver and about 40kg for fuel, Which brings you down to 1200kg.

Which is roughly the same quoted weight as a 5dr Ibiza FR

http://www.autospecifications.org/index.php?section=pages&item=Seat-Ibiza-5dr-hatchback&model=1.9-TDI-130-FR

Just looked - 03+ 5 series is 1510kg (parkers - 520d 'M sport' - so roughly same sized engine)

320d (current) is1430kg for a 'standard model'

Pretty impressive for the Fabia to weight that much for it's size IMO. My RX-8 is only 35kg more than a Fabia, and it's a much longer/wider car!

Although if you take into account Mikes 115kg reduction, it's not too bad.

I think it's the BMW's that are light not the fabia is heavy.

A 3dr golf gti is 1500kg.

Still wanna know why the op wants to know?

Bet it's to do with mpg, coming from an sdi owner. Lol

This is the best I can find:

Weight (kg) 1254

Distribution (kg/ch) front / rear 822 / 432

http://www.rsiauto.com/seat/2004-ibiza-cupra-tdi-484.php

So very roughly 66:33! :o

Of course, that's the Ibiza, so has better front brakes (heavier?), strut braces, FMIC etc, so I guess assuming the body work is equal on the Fabia, it should be a bit better. Although the SEAT is lighter in the first place, but that;s the best I could get hold of.

i'm sure i read somewhere that my Fabia mk1 classic 1.4mpi 68bhp has a kerb weight of 1070kg meaning the vRS(the sporty model) is 230kg's heavier than a base model!!!

i really can't believe how heavy the diesel Fabia's are

My dad's E300 Sportline M106 220bhp 3.0ltr 4 door mercedes Saloon has a kerb weight of 1395kg.. so a sporty family hatchback weighs 80kg odd lighter(or one person) lighter than a well built and refined E class mercedes. that's insane!

mind you i was very surpirsed how light the mercedes is.

it also seems like a big increase over the outgoing Felcica's which weighed 968kg in 1.3 non-pas spec to 1031kg in 1.9ltr D with Air con and leccy windows.

Edited by Sonner

Interesting when i pointed out to a dealerships that the MK2 Fabia vRS 1.4tsi wieghs less in estate form than in hatchback form! when i asked why they said it was because they had to add ballast to the hatchbacks rear to help weight distribution whereas the estate has a better weight distribution to start with so no ballast needed to be added!! resulting in it being 15kg's lighter and a better weight distribution..

makes me wonder which would be quicker on a timed lap of a circuit. the hatch or estate???

Edited by Sonner
  • Like 1

This is the best I can find:

Weight (kg) 1254

Distribution (kg/ch) front / rear 822 / 432

http://www.rsiauto.com/seat/2004-ibiza-cupra-tdi-484.php

So very roughly 66:33! :o

Of course, that's the Ibiza, so has better front brakes (heavier?), strut braces, FMIC etc, so I guess assuming the body work is equal on the Fabia, it should be a bit better. Although the SEAT is lighter in the first place, but that;s the best I could get hold of.

haha awesome, thats impressively front heavy.. carbon fibre bonnet anyone? :D Or even shifting the battery.. might need a mini one though if I were to hid it in the boot (i like my spare tyre). Cant think of anything readily available to remove to even out that balance.

Interesting when i pointed out to a dealerships that the MK2 Fabia vRS 1.4tsi wieghs less in estate form than in hatchback form! when i asked why they said it was because they had to add ballast to the hatchbacks rear to help weight distribution whereas the estate has a better weight distribution to start with so no ballast needed to be added!! resulting in it being 15kg's lighter and a better weight distribution..

makes me wonder which would be quicker on a timed lap of a circuit. the hatch or estate???

*finds slab of concrete under the spare tyre....* :rofl:

The sound proofing and rubber seals could go and can the engine cover. the bumper dampers(if it has them) behind the front bumper could be removed.

if it has headlight washer jets those could be removed.

i reckon 20kg could be shed from the front maybe 50kg if you where willing to remove the air-con system and all it's relevant bits behind the dashboard(would reduced parasitic lose from engine too)

PLus the vRS badge on the front of the car must weigh about 20-30g so you could take that off.

remove roof lining and sunroof(if it has one) would be good too as you'll be taking weight from the top of the car thus helping to lower center of gravity

Edited by Sonner

My money woyld be on the estate as it's not only lighter but also has better aeordynamics.

That's why the Hatch Greenline II needs a huge rear spoiler.

Yep that is true... the Estate boasts a 1mph higher top speed due to it's increased aerodynamics according to the same dealership that told me about the ballast and weight distribution.

Estates often do offer better weight distribution and aerodynamics. It's reportedly why Volvo began Touring Car racing in the 90s using an 850 Estate, rather than the saloon.

On that E300 Merc listed before, what year is that? Bet it's quite old and generally then incomparable. For example, check what a current E-Class with a similar engine now weighs...

Pretty much everything has gone up in weight and specifications continue to improve, and more importantly as more and more safety and crash protection is built in; the downside unfortunately is increased weight.

Skoda Fabia Technical Data booklet - FABIA anglicky 10.05

1,9l/96 kW TDI PD (Fabia RS)

Weight (in kg)

Permissible gross weight: 1720

Unladen weight ready for work: 1245-1315

Loading capacity*: 475-405

Permissible front axle load: 960

Permissible rear axle load: 800

* Depending on special equipment

And from the notes at the front of that booklet:

The loading capacity is reduced in line with the range of the special equipment. The unladen weight contains a fuel tank topped up to 90%. The value also contains the 75 kg of the driver's weight.

Skoda Fabia Technical Data booklet - FABIA anglicky 10.05

1,9l/96 kW TDI PD (Fabia RS)

Weight (in kg)

Permissible gross weight: 1720

Unladen weight ready for work: 1245-1315

Loading capacity*: 475-405

Permissible front axle load: 960

Permissible rear axle load: 800

* Depending on special equipment

And from the notes at the front of that booklet:

The loading capacity is reduced in line with the range of the special equipment. The unladen weight contains a fuel tank topped up to 90%. The value also contains the 75 kg of the driver's weight.

90% fuel would be 41 litres. @ 0.82KG to 0.95KG per litre this would be 33.62-38.95 kilos of fuel, plus the driver. The standard ULSD that we buy at the pumps is going to be at the lighter (0.82KG/Litre) end of the scale.

J.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's the BMW's that are light not the fabia is heavy.

A 3dr golf gti is 1500kg.

Still wanna know why the op wants to know?

Bet it's to do with mpg, coming from an sdi owner. Lol

Just curious that's all, wanted to see if the quoted 1315 kgs was true. Seemed a little on the heavy side considering the size of the car. But oddly if Skoda had included a tank of fuel and driver that could explain why.