I'm bored!....what do I do?

Right just after some inspiration or input......(mods it's not a for sale thread or anything sale related)!

The vrs has been used and abused for the last few months and as I know work away I've no time to pamper it so what should I do?

As it stands the oil seals in the turbo are shot so it's smoking, noticed this morning the rear drivers side door won't unlock, wheels need a lick of paint!

It's been scratched twice(on my driveway) both will require paint and some c*** has nicked one of my bumper grilles?

My dilemma's are

Do I fix it and keep it as it's been fautless! Not that into it anymore tho........and get a toy!

Do I break it?

Do I part with it as is and move on to pastures new?

Cheers

Si

Seems to me you have answered your own question mate. If u not that into it anymore then move onto something new that will capture your imagination once more. Just make sure u pass it on as you would like to receive it! ;)

It'd be goin as is, wouldn't be wasting money on it. I dnt mind keeping it and running it into the ground and getting a toy to give me a buzz.

It's more of a what would you guys do?

How long you had the car mate? As you say it's been faultless why don't you just fix her and continue to run her? How much do you think it would cost to get her running right? they are such great cars :) but as you say if your bored with it trade it in and get a mk2 vrs lol thats what i am planning to do once i get bored of my mk1.

I would look at what is out there within my budget and if i found something that ignited my interest i would sell the VRS and go for it. If i found nothing much better, then i would fix her up and enjoy for another year or two. :thumbup:

How long you had the car mate? As you say it's been faultless why don't you just fix her and continue to run her? How much do you think it would cost to get her running right? they are such great cars :) but as you say if your bored with it trade it in and get a mk2 vrs lol thats what i am planning to do once i get bored of my mk1.

Had it 4 years mate, prob cost a grand to put right I reckon. £500 turbo, £? To paint the wing and rear quarter (little c****), £? Replace and maybe paint bumper grill if I can't get a red one.

Wheels want paint but ideally I'd like to replace them if I kept it.

Can I justify spending than on a car that's worth when done £1500-£1800? I dunno?

But as I said it's been fautless non of the common faults that most seem to have had....apart from 1 fuse on top of the battery.

This is my dilemma even tho it doesn't excite or give me a buzz anymore I could replace it with something that turns out to be nowhere near as reliable, but on the other hand I could save what I would spend on fixing it up and break it for as much as it'd be worth done?

Breaking it then could be a good option if you can be bothered with the hassle of breaking a car.

4 years lol i get bored of my cars after about a year.

What sort of budget would you be looking at spending on a new motor?

Breaking it then could be a good option if you can be bothered with the hassle of breaking a car.

4 years lol i get bored of my cars after about a year.

What sort of budget would you be looking at spending on a new motor?

4 years is a record for me, normally changed after 6 months so as you can expect I've had a fair few motors :giggle:

As for budget im Not sure of what I'd get to replace it. Evo, s4, scooby? I'd love an old school cavalier turbo if I could find a good one!....gsi's were my soft spot a few years bk but never managed to move onto the turbo and my heart lie's with the old school stuff B)

Although if I were to keep the vrs and get a toy!....my mates offered me a Volvo 340 with a 440 turbo lump all tricked up and another mates just brought a trick corsa 2.0 16v redtop soon to be running R1 carbs. So again I dunno?

As for breaking I've got a garage and the space but not a lot of time as I'm only home on weekends, but the car has got turbo bk stainless de-cat and sports cat, coilovers etc so has some plus points :rofl:

What a dilemma!

Sounds like you might be better off swapping for something else - though you've been through this before haven't you and decided to keep the car :)

You could always do more mods for bigger power - hybrid turbo + new map maybe but then you're talking another grand on top of what you listed above, plus higher insurance etc.

What a dilemma!

Sounds like you might be better off swapping for something else - though you've been through this before haven't you and decided to keep the car :)

You could always do more mods for bigger power - hybrid turbo + new map maybe but then you're talking another grand on top of what you listed above, plus higher insurance etc.

Yep been there a few times with it :giggle:

This time it's make or break so to speak, I've just fell out of love with it of late. 1st the turbo now the scratches and the grill going has just put the icing on the cake.

I've thought about hybrid but it's going to be £2k+ and on a car that's not worth that and for only 260ish bhp is it worth it? For example a mates selling his 350bhp RA scooby for £3k ish and it's a minter!.

I daren't count how much I've spent and lost on cars over the years.....it's a scary thought.

I really am torn as to what to do?

The answer is there. Buy your mates Scooby. £3k!! sod the 25mpg daily driving for that money.

I have been out in and driven a classic shape ('99?) import STi and I could not believe the speed and grip. The way it can juggle the power across all the wheels to get max traction :p

To be honest my Octy does not set my heart alight. But then I want my cake and eat it. I want something that is soft enough for my back and refined, but I also want fun. I want quiet smooth driving, then I press a button and hear the engine and feel the road. So... you could always get a 205 Mi16 :o:thumbup:

Yes it might need some love and care to keep it going, but they are great fun. No ABS, No power steering. Just you and some flimsy metal :giggle:

Think of it as a French Type-R :D They love revs and the ECU from the 4x4 405x4 Mi16 increases rev limit to 7400 :p Oh, and mine still did 32MPG with a 1.6GTi gearbox on.

i went from a classic scooby to my octy,i couldnt justify the £60 a week fuel bill,had my octy up for sale for ages now and cant shift it,was gonna swap for an evo 3 but was a nail,thought about an evo 6 but decided 2 wheels is the future save me loads on fuel.

si get something new and exicting advise from an old friend lol ;-)

I'm gonna have a look around this weekend and sit and weigh up the pro's and con's. Gonna go see my mate with the RA then call and check out the Volvo.

Always liked pulsar gti r's aswell :giggle:

;-)

Right just after some inspiration or input......(mods it's not a for sale thread or anything sale related)!

The vrs has been used and abused for the last few months and as I know work away I've no time to pamper it so what should I do?

As it stands the oil seals in the turbo are shot so it's smoking, noticed this morning the rear drivers side door won't unlock, wheels need a lick of paint!

It's been scratched twice(on my driveway) both will require paint and some c*** has nicked one of my bumper grilles?

My dilemma's are

Do I fix it and keep it as it's been fautless! Not that into it anymore tho........and get a toy!

Do I break it?

Do I part with it as is and move on to pastures new?

Cheers

Si

Hope you don't mind me being blunt, no matter where you live or what you do to it if someone is going to scratch your vrs then why won't they scratch the next car. Car nuts are exactly that, nuts about cars and thats why we keep spending silly amounts of money on them.

I personally think you can't budget the body repair costs, if you say you'll buy your mates 350 bhp RA for £3000 then how are you going to stop them scratching that.

The fact you've grown bored of the car is your answer, the main questions to me would be do i spend £500 on a turbo or do you sell it with a blown turbo, which will get you more money to give you more to spend on the next car.

To be honest that was part of the reason i bought my octy, had a v6 vectra with leather, tinted windows in a stunning goldy color before and got fed up with the worrying about it and watching everyone that passed the house to make sure they weren't walking down the side of it, i just wanted a standard looking and practical car, now i have owned the octy i can't justify getting rid of it.

Hope this helps

Regards Dave

Hope you don't mind me being blunt, no matter where you live or what you do to it if someone is going to scratch your vrs then why won't they scratch the next car. Car nuts are exactly that, nuts about cars and thats why we keep spending silly amounts of money on them.

I personally think you can't budget the body repair costs, if you say you'll buy your mates 350 bhp RA for £3000 then how are you going to stop them scratching that.

The fact you've grown bored of the car is your answer, the main questions to me would be do i spend £500 on a turbo or do you sell it with a blown turbo, which will get you more money to give you more to spend on the next car.

To be honest that was part of the reason i bought my octy, had a v6 vectra with leather, tinted windows in a stunning goldy color before and got fed up with the worrying about it and watching everyone that passed the house to make sure they weren't walking down the side of it, i just wanted a standard looking and practical car, now i have owned the octy i can't justify getting rid of it.

Hope this helps

Regards Dave

All good points :thumbup:

The scratches have happened on the drive, because I work away through the week it stays at home with our lass. Where the scooby for instance would be at work with me through the week and in the garage when I'm home. My plan is hopefully to get her something a bit smaller so she's still got a car. (they can scratch that one then :giggle: )

I have petrol in the blood so will bore of cars I just get itchy feet and like a change and I think the vrs has run it's course.

Don't get me wrong it's been a gem. It's never let me down ive not spent anything on it unless its something ive wanted and the only things to go have been wear n tear things

Then surely spending £500 on the turbo and leaving the car at home for her indoors to use is an option, you can then spend the 3k on the scooby and enjoy lol

Is that the only thing wrong with it apart from the scratches and the missing bumper piece ?

Come on !!! you get the best of both worlds, you know it makes sense and your not going to buy her a small car that will be as reliable for under the £500 you'll pay to repair the turbo.

Only reasons i can see you saying thats not an option are you need the no claims for the scooby and doesn't justify paying for a modded vrs as a 2nd car with no no claims or you need the money off the sale of the vrs to buy the scooby. If the 2nd one is the case then repair the vrs (ie turbo) and keep it for a few months and save for your new car.

Regards Dave

Is that the only thing wrong with it apart from the scratches and the missing bumper piece ?

Come on !!! you get the best of both worlds, you know it makes sense and your not going to buy her a small car that will be as reliable for under the £500 you'll pay to repair.

Regards Dave

Yep there the only things wrong....the wheels could do with a re paint.

Have thought about that but she wants something a bit smaller, although it makes sense. Like you say for the price of a turbo she's not gonna get a better car for £500 :thumbup:

I'm not gonna tell you to argue with her lol

My missis is the same, wants a 2nd car but won't drive mine ??

Simple answer is if she needs it enough, she'll drive it lol

Practical answer is i'm chicken in one way but still only run 1 car so don't get my pocket hit too hard

Not sure what else to suggest but i know from following some of your previous posts you've spent a lot of time working on it at the side of the motorway (not meant in a bad way which i'm sure you'll understand) and if not money invested in it there is the knowledge that there is a good car that you know whats wrong with sat there ready to run but isn't worth a huge amount in the current 2nd hand car market. This helps you have peace of mind that whilst your away all week, your less likely to get a phonecall saying its broken down.

It's a personal choice at the end of the day, whats right for me, might not be right for you. Personally i was all set for buying a 2nd car only 2 weeks ago but couldn't justify it as the missis wouldn't drive either of them so they'd both be mine. The new car i was looking at was lovely but the only benefit was it's comfier and would save adding so many miles on the octy but as its done 133k i think its a bit late for that now. Although i do a lot of miles i've decided to keep going with the octy for the time being. Its great on diesel (just done 646 miles for £66) group 7 insurance and is practical for the whole family at the weekend when i'm home. As much as i wanted the other car as it would be better on the longer journeys as far as comfort is concerned i honestly only thought about selling the octy and replacing it with the new car for 5 minutes at the most.

Good luck in deciding what's best for you judging on your own circumstances, its not an easy choice to make but i think going to have a look at the other cars is a good option, if they give you a smile as soon as you see them and you can't find a logical reason not to have them then it'll make your mind up for you.

Hope this helps and keep us informed.

Regards Dave

The octy is still used daily so that call could come lol. In a way I hope it happens are her as I just get lectured about how hard I drive it.

The scoobys out the question, he's put it up at £4300 on eBay! :thumbdown:

Its not so much the price of the bits I've done it all myself so know it inside out which I suppose is a good thing in a way. Only time will tell and I'll have to speak to her to see if she's definitely wanting something smaller.

Thanks for the useful comments :thumbup:

Si

Edited by sivrs

scooby aint worth that si

imo buddy i wouldnt waiste your money on the scooby they are amazing cars but very very highly strung and expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buy the volvo and put a gt30 on ;-)

advise from an old friend in hiding

4 years is a record for me, normally changed after 6 months so as you can expect I've had a fair few motors

As for budget im Not sure of what I'd get to replace it. Evo, s4, scooby? I'd love an old school cavalier turbo if I could find a good one!....gsi's were my soft spot a few years bk but never managed to move onto the turbo and my heart lie's with the old school stuff B)

Although if I were to keep the vrs and get a toy!....my mates offered me a Volvo 340 with a 440 turbo lump all tricked up and another mates just brought a trick corsa 2.0 16v redtop soon to be running R1 carbs. So again I dunno?

As for breaking I've got a garage and the space but not a lot of time as I'm only home on weekends, but the car has got turbo bk stainless de-cat and sports cat, coilovers etc so has some plus points

Funny I have had my VRS for just over 4 years now. Longest car I have ever owned normally it was 6 months to a year. I even had a Renault 5 turbo for only 4 hours once :giggle:

Had 48 cars now.

I go through phases of shall i sell mine or keep it. Problem i have is I know what ever i get next i will still end up spending on it as it is a addiction. The VRS to me still ticks more boxes than most other cars i would go for and with the budget i could spend or would want to spend. It is very easy to get bored and the first time you know you are getting itching is when you stop fixing the things that are going wrong with the car, and then they start mounting up how ever little the issues maybe it is a excuse to try to bribe yourself to part with it.

I went from a UK subaru to my VRS and although the scooby is a great car and ticks all the performance and handling box's

the VRS appeals because that is something good about making it's not so perfect performance and chassis better.

The main car i consider could be my next car is a S4 or perhaps another scooby.

I think 4 wheel drive is a must for me.

Don't go for a volvo 340 or 440 and christ not a corsa... You will regret that.

I am old school and also had most caviler GSI's and 4x4 GSI's but always wanted a GSI turbo 4x4. But by the time i could afford one most other cars had caught up performance wise. This was the same when the Ford Cosworths got to an affordable price.

I say throw a hybrid on your car and fall in love with it again. :thumbup:

The answer is there. Buy your mates Scooby. £3k!! sod the 25mpg daily driving for that money.

I have been out in and driven a classic shape ('99?) import STi and I could not believe the speed and grip. The way it can juggle the power across all the wheels to get max traction :p

To be honest my Octy does not set my heart alight. But then I want my cake and eat it. I want something that is soft enough for my back and refined, but I also want fun. I want quiet smooth driving, then I press a button and hear the engine and feel the road. So... you could always get a 205 Mi16 :o:thumbup:

Yes it might need some love and care to keep it going, but they are great fun. No ABS, No power steering. Just you and some flimsy metal :giggle:

Think of it as a French Type-R :D They love revs and the ECU from the 4x4 405x4 Mi16 increases rev limit to 7400 :p Oh, and mine still did 32MPG with a 1.6GTi gearbox on.

You speak good words there.....

In my many cars I have had the pugs were some of my favorite. I have had 3 205 GTi's and 3 309 Gti's and a 405 Mi16v which was a very revy car.

I ended up fitting a Mi16v 1.9 engine in my 309 Goodwood Gti. I was pleased with that car, it was like a go kart and power to weight was amazing.

here was a few pics:

309Goodwood002.jpg

309Goodwood006.jpg

309Goodwood007.jpg

I still miss that..

I like the 309. I wanted a goodwood wen I had my gti's but were like rocking horse poop!

The Volvo is a 340 with a 440 turbo lump fitted. Pure drifter!

Just heard a saff cossie come past me and oh my days it sounded nice and didn't hang about B) ......to expensive nowadays!

I think with the scooby it's just to say Ive had one :giggle:

I'm looking at cav turbo's as a definate maybe...missed a White one on eBay the other day 280bhp £1800 no bids :thumbup:

I definitely won't be hybridising the vrs to much £££ for what the cars worth!