Rear foglight, fitment on both sides?

john96

Great news!

I had a sneaky suspicion it could be done.

Using coding to switch on the relevant side foglight at the factory for left hand or right hand drive makes so much more sense than adding another variant of the wiring loom.

Great news!

I had a sneaky suspicion it could be done.

Using coding to switch on the relevant side foglight at the factory for left hand or right hand drive makes so much more sense than adding another variant of the wiring loom.

But as previously stated if the feed is not present on the required side then it cannot be done -- my 110 SE only had a feed on the offside loom son no matter what recoding went on the nearside would never work - suspect marginal monney saver by Skoda on the Yeti!!

As I understand it john96 has had his Skoda dealer activate the second rear foglight?

Being in Germany the "LHS" should be default anyway. I am assumed he is in the UK and heading over to Germany?

Either way if it is possible to choose to have either the left, right or both rear fog lights on then surely the wiring is present? I can't beleive Skoda would change the wiring loom purely for the UK offside foglight requirement.

As I understand it john96 has had his Skoda dealer activate the second rear foglight?

Being in Germany the "LHS" should be default anyway. I am assumed he is in the UK and heading over to Germany?

Either way if it is possible to choose to have either the left, right or both rear fog lights on then surely the wiring is present? I can't beleive Skoda would change the wiring loom purely for the UK offside foglight requirement.

Final addition -- trust me, on my 110se there is no wire on the unlit side, had both inner rear panels off and the back panel off when fitting a westfalia permanent towbar/single electrics, why would I need to 't' off the trailer relay to get the n/s light to work, am I thick , stupid etc?? the wire is not present in the nearside wire cluster, maybe there is a plug socket further up the car with the light wire present who knows, who cares, don't believe me, come to france and have a look!!!!!!!

Just to clarify, if anyone is interested!!

I am in the Army, stationed in Germany. We are allowed to drive RHD cars provided we fit continental headlights and rear foglight on the LHS.

More clarification needed :giggle:

Is your Yeti a UK right hand drive?

If so did it have the single drivers / off side (RHS) fog light activated as standard?

Have you since had a dealer turn off the off side fog light (RHS) and turn on the nearside fog light (LHS) for use in Germany?

Or did they simply activate both sides?

As mentioned above, if the wiring does not allow/exist for the fog lights to be simply coded/changed from one side to the other as it is with other Skoda models I'm curious to understand what the dealer has actually done?

If your Yeti is a UK car and the wiring to the LHS fog light does not exist then it should be impossible for a dealer to activate it, unless of course they used a bridging wire which is not recommended...

Some of these replies remind me of some of my past experiences.

1. An Austin Metro where a reversing light was a £35 extra (in 1981 or thereabouts). The fix was a 6" piece of wiring to bridge two pieces of cable underneath the carpet by the gearlever.

2. A VW Golf where only one rear fog light worked but all the fittings where present.

3. as above on two new Volvo 340s.

I was never sure whethjer these were cost saving or not but felt the Metro example definitely was.

It does make you wonder what accessories are included in the wiring harness on many vehicles.

John

Silver, yes its a UK car, and only the LHS fog is on. Perhaps they activated both sides then took the bulb out. or would that activate the bulb warning?

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread alert!!

Picked up my new yeti in August, the garage didnt bother changing the rear fog light over this time ( Thanks Motorline skoda canterbury! :wall: )

I didnt find this out until I went to get my light check done ( If you are in the Army and based in Germany you need to have continental lights fitted. )

Anyway took it to my german skoda garage, and after lots of faffing about with laptops they came to conclusion that I needed the wiring changed over, which was done today. So no coding will change it, as is alluded to in previous posts.

Picked it back up today and it is now on correct side for europe, will take it back to the lights check guys tomorrow!

I know it's not really possible to have both rear fogs working together, but as the "rules" seem to need a rear fog light on the off side, and the offside in Europe is on the other side to the UK, would wiring up the non working light through a change over switch, so that the offside one will be lit whether at home or in Europe, bring up a fault? Only one light will be lit at any time. I must admit I have never needed a rear fog light in Europe yet, but you never know, and the Gendarmrie, or which ever force it is in France, seem to be attracted to UK number plates.

Chris

My California is exactly as described by john96 and to comply with BFG rules had to activate the LHS fog light. I had auto electrician use bridging wire in Germany with absolutely no issues a year on. Yes both fogs are on but compliant lights wise with UK and euro requirement. Bearing mind they only used in fog not an issue IMHO. Fully intend to do same with Yeti in Dec to get through registration process. The draw is very small and no effect on my can bus system.

• 1 year later...

Wished I'd searched here before wasting the last 30 mins :)

Just as a heads-up for "new to Yeti" owners - the (UK version) FL Yeti also has the nearside rear fog bulb fitted, but the loom only has 5 wires feeding the 6 pin connector - therefore the nearside rear fog does not actually work - only the offside one works.

Edited by CliveRo