VRS LED running lights and side lights

I have been using the LED running lights on my new VRS, just been wondering when i select side lights the LED lights dim but the side lights at the top of the light cluster do not come on, is this correct or do i need to visit the dealership, only had it 3 weeks and only just found this out ? I have the xenon headlights

Thanks

Anthony

This is normal, the vRS uses the same headlight clusters as the rest of the Octavia range, but as you state it uses dimmed DRL's as sidelights, this renders the 5W sidelights in the headlight redundant.

Quite a common question due to it being a little strange, but fear not your lights are working as they should!

Thanks you the prompt reply, i had the manual out for the first time yesterday trying to find out why i had bulbs in the headlights that dont work. I guess if i turn the DRL's off via the MDI then they will work etc ? Is there a way to get them to come on when the DRL's dim ?

The reason the sidelights do not come on is it is illegal to have both LED DRL and just sidelights illuminated apparently. I have no idea why but it was what I was told when I asked. I checked this with a friendly plod I know and he confirmed it was.

Go figure!?

Noticed the same thing with my vRS which I have had for 4 weeks. Like other people have said there is no wiring loom for the w5w bulbs. If you turn of the DRLs with the maxidot computer and then turn on the side light switch it will automatically turn on the DRLs again if it did not do this you would have no lights at the front until you turned the switch to dipped headlights.

I am a bit annoyed at this system because when you are driving in light rain for example if you turn on the sidelight switch so you have rear lights as well then the DRLs dim if the DRls are on for normal driving conditions then you will not have any lights at the rear on.

If you want some kind of light in the main headlight then it has to be on dipped beam.

I have Auto-Lights so don't have a side-light point on the switch.

However I would argue that side-lights are redudant really.

If the conditions warrant you having rear lights on then it also warrants having headlights on as well.

In my old Octy vRS (my 56 plate one) I either drove around with no lights or headlights, I never use sidelights.

They just don't help - they don't provide you with any light and are very easily missed.

Headlights or nothing.

Other people's opinons may vary of course.

I have Auto-Lights so don't have a side-light point on the switch.

The auto-lights switch has off-auto-sidelights-headlights (this picture is from a VW, but our Octavia switch is similar)

Vw+Auto+Lights.jpg

Edited by JulieD

The auto-lights switch has off-auto-sidelights-headlights (this picture is from a VW, but our Octavia switch is similar)

Vw+Auto+Lights.jpg

So it has - I'd never noticed before :)

I still stand by my statement though.

Headlights or no lights.

You should NEVER drive on sidelights alone.

Visibility is seriously reduced for other road users.

I have seen cars with sidelights on appear to vanish when driving between two cars with headlights on in low light and rain

You cannot be seen compared to headlights.

Use them for parking only!!

You could put the front fogs on when you turn the sidelights or dim DRL's on

Front Fog lights are for use in fog only - 99.5% of your driving time they should be switched off.

You should NEVER drive on sidelights alone.

Visibility is seriously reduced for other road users.

I have seen cars with sidelights on appear to vanish when driving between two cars with headlights on in low light and rain

You cannot be seen compared to headlights.

Use them for parking only!!

+1 rain on screen, headlights on to be seen.

As for fog lights, they are only to be used if visibility is seriously reduced which in this country is probably a couple of hours per year.