Resetting service lights on VRS without VAGCOM

BigJakk

Hello all,

My MkI Octy VRS is due in for a service in the next week or two. I have a good mate who runs a garage and has kindly offered to look at it with me "off the books" for me after work one night, saving me a few quid.

However the workshop manual states that as the VRS is a "QG1 LongLife Service Schedule" vehicle, if the service light is not cleared off using a "Special Instrument" then the car will revert to using the "QG2 Schedule".

I was just wanting to check and see, is this "Special Tool" in fact VAGCOM?

If so, my mate who will be servicing the vehicle hasnt got a VAGCOM at the garage, however another friend of mine does own one.

As such, would it be in order to get the work done on the car, and then have the light cleared down a few days later using the VAGCOM or would this be a no-no?

Cheers

Hello Mate,

It's probably worth mentioning that if you look over the service book, it's been serviced on a annual basis - therefore is a normal service plan rather than longlife.

It was like that when I bought it and that's how I carried it on.

Luke

Hello Mate,

It's probably worth mentioning that if you look over the service book, it's been serviced on a annual basis - therefore is a normal service plan rather than longlife.

It was like that when I bought it and that's how I carried it on.

Luke

Hello mate,

Ah good stuff, should make things a bit easier as my mechanic mate only has a generic code readoer/ODBC Tool rather than the VAGCOM. I need to check the book over and see exactly what needs doing before i take it in to him next week

You will be pleased to hear that she is running fantastically well, cleaned the throttle body out the other night and its made quite a difference at low revs. Only bad news is that some person of questionable parentage has dinged the rear bumper and tailgate with what looks to be a shopping trolley, im absoloutley furious about it.

Hope all is well and that your having fun with the Leon.

Hello mate,

I'd say just an oil change and checkover, I had full works done at Awesome nearly a year ago. Glad to hear it's running well though, do miss it. Shame about the dent though :-(.

Loving the Leon. I'm getting 510 miles per tank for same cost so can't complain.

Luke

• 2 weeks later...

Can sevice light be reset without vag-com for normal intervals, i do all my own work on car but never got round to working out how to reset service light and computer with autodata at work has died so carn't look on there

I reset mine last night, after the service was finished. Hold down the trip reset button and turn the ignition to position one - should show "Service" on the odometer screen. At that time, release the trip reset button and then turn the clock adjustment nob (the other stalk to the left of the trip computer reset) to the right and hold it there, until the mileage readout appears on the odometer screen.

If you turn the ignition off and back on you should find the "Service"/"Service Due In..." text should no longer display

Cheers

Edited by BigJakk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. My "service now" message came up yesterday and I haven't done NEARLY enough miles to warrant it. When I checked it was exactly a year since the last service, looks like the garage (not a VAG dealer) set it to fixed intervals. Re-set now and no more warnings, that should hold it for a year.

I don't mind either way, at least I know now.

Thanks all. My "service now" message came up yesterday and I haven't done NEARLY enough miles to warrant it. When I checked it was exactly a year since the last service, looks like the garage (not a VAG dealer) set it to fixed intervals. Re-set now and no more warnings, that should hold it for a year.

I don't mind either way, at least I know now.

What mileage have you done?