DLNA

Reavenger

Does anyone have a system like this currently setup? I'd love to play my movies and tv shows on a 42"+ screen.

Was reading this ARTICLE and it seemed quite simple. Guessing ethernet cable from PC to TV would do the trick. Windows 7 and WMP11 does the rest?

Use it from a home server setup, and also on PS3.

PC to TV direct you might as well use a video-out source and connect directly to the TV though....

Do you have an 'internet ready' TV? Models and info of what kit you have currently, and we'll come up with a plan :)

I looked at Internet TV but in it's current state, even with Apple currently and Google coming in, I don't think it's that good (or what I'm after).

I need a new TV soon for my bedroom (where my PC is) so I'm looking at possibilities really. Just don't want to buy a TV and have a nightmare setting it up or a mismatch of technologies!

I didn't think about PC to TV. Gives me something else to think about :D. My PC's a bit of a beast so GFX power isn't a problem.

I use my PS3 to stream video files from my Windows Home Server box, it shows up with a little Windows Media Connect logo and you can browse the shared files.

Since i've upgraded the other PCs to W7 they now show up on the PS3 as well.

I've got an LG TV which has an Ethernet port to stream content using DLNA and again the MS stuff just shows up as browsable content.

All you have to do is make sure that your content is shared and most TVs, Blu Ray players, XBox, PS3 and a stack of dedicated media streamers should be able to display the content. Just got to make sure they have the ethernet port (or even wireless)

As your PC is going to be fairly close to your TV anyway I wouldn't worry about DNLA too much. The functionality built in to current TV's are poor at best and are only there as marketing blurb. You will have a much better experience just using your TV as a monitor (especially if your video card has HDMI out).

fwiw I 'can' use both my xbox as a streamer or my TV (last years Sony W5500) as a DNLA client and both options are fairly rubbish - personally I think a media centre is the way to go.

Quick update: I have now have my new TV and stand. I went for an Internet TV with DLNA. Samsung 40" LED TV.

DLNA is brilliant. Pushing movies to my TV from my PC and watching them is excellent. Can download movies and TV shows at will :D

My TV can also search my PC and remotely play movies which is great as well. Was very easy to setup :thumbup:

The Internet part works brilliantly as well. Although right now I haven't used it loads, maybe thats because it's a bit underwhelming. We'll see in the next few weeks.