SDI vs. TDI

daavisz

Hey. Here's the thing.

Soon I will need to buy a new car for my mother. One of the most possible buy is an Fabia Combi.

She covers a lot if miles so a diesel engine is a must and also i don't like VAG petrol engines.

The question is? How painfully slow is the SDI engine? I know that these VAG engines are really reliable and will cover a lot of miles.

But in i'm buying a car it also has to be drivable. SDI is a lot more simpler. An TDI is harder to find, it's more expensive and I don't know about the reliability of unit injectors.

But it will have an extra puch, when it's needed and it will be more economical in the real life. So two questions for SDI and TDI owners.

Is it's possible to overtake with an Fabia Combi SDI?

And

Your experience about TDI PD engines?

Having driven both I actually prefer the SDI. It is possible to overtake but you have to be more circumspect about it. The TDI you just boot it and go, the SDI you have to think and make sure you have the room. The SDI has better manners in town but will cruise at 80 on motorways without much fuss. The fuel consumption is much better on the SDI.

Whether your mother will get on with a SDI is down to her driving style and what sort of motoring she does. If she spends most her time on motorways/fast A roads I'd go for the TDI, if a lot is town or slower roads I'd go with the SDI. They are both good cars in their own way.

Well, 60 motorway/ 40% city driving. But on motorway speeds rarely go over 70 mph.

And I also gonna drive that car a lot.

Strange thing that SDI is more economical.

My father had an Astra 1.7 DTI. It had superb fuel consumption, but despite turbocharger it felt underpowered. It had 75 hp. So I'm thinking how it will be with SDI 64 hp and no turbocharger.

And I've driven various VAG diesels. But never a TDI PD or SDI.

My mother drives slowly, I usually drive a car a lot sportier.

I'm not looking for a sports car, but I still think that car car has to have enough power to overtake safely.

I now drive an '98 Corolla with a superb 1.6 engine, never felt it underpowered. I wonder how I will get used to a 64 hp car.

And two more questions-

What's the fuel consumption on your SDI?

And how does an SDI copes with situations when the car is full?

I've had my SDI combi for over 6 years averaged 59mpg over 73k. A lot of this was town visits, and, to be quite honest, I drive for economy. It would be over the 60 mark if I had changed the stat and sender when I should have. 4 up you have to make her work harder but there is plenty of torque available to keep her rolling.

You and your mum really have to try both vehicles out for yourself but don't get seduced by the fact that the TDI is just quicker-is it the most suitable for your mum's needs.

I always liked Fabia. But today I realized how good it actually is.

My friend bought '02 Fabia 1.4 MPI for reselling. It's an ex-fleet car and has done a bit more than 225 000 miles and still drives very well and quiet.

Thats really impressive for a small car with an ****ty engine.

Have you had any problems with your SDI?

Emgine-none other than temperature sender and stat. Other-rear door lock, leaky door inner panel seals

Hmm.. I feel the questions are very opinionated.

Personally I thought the corolla 1.6 was gutless compared to others in its class, and I (many times) left it adrift when I had the 1.5 yaris.

Another point to make, I had the 1.4mpi, though underpowered i can still overtake, granted that it would require a run up, some planning and knowing the roads but I wouldn't say it was hopeless.

The cars you mentioned are also in a different class to the fabia therefore it would require less effort to give some oomph.

If your priority is economy and cost effectiveness the go for sdi, if priority is on bit more power in exchange for lower economy and possibly heavier bills as its got a turbo, then go for tdi.

Our opinions mean very little as many have different driving mentality/styles.

Some adapt driving style with car, some make car adapt with driver style.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I've got a 2000 1.9 sdi with just about 150k on the clock.

I get about 55mpg but dont do so many motorway miles.

I've had no majour issues other than the pas sensor which is common and cost me a fiva to fix.

Its a slow car but can get up to 80/90 if needed to overtake on a clear road.

Corolla is an OK car. 4A-FE engine is very responsive and smooth, has an adequate power for that car. And also is pretty economical. I get around 38 mpg from pretty sporty driving.

An it has a very high quality interior and feels really solid. And all this is let down by completely numb steering. You actually can get bored driving a Corolla :)

I think the verdict is- buy a car which is in better condition. No matter its a SDI or TDI. But i guess I will try to get and TDI.

Here in Latvia it's hard to find a good VAG diesel. About 90% car are clocked and they have worn out engines.

I with my mother cover up motre than 15 000 miles per year so a diesel or lpg is a must.

And whats for Fabia- only 36 car are on sale now in Latvia (including mk2)

http://www.ss.lv/lv/eur/transport/cars/skoda/fabia/

I guess I will need to get one from Germany or Lithuania.