First brim to brim test

runboy

33mpg.

Mostly town/city driving, the odd 40mph zone etc, no motorway or 60mph jaunts.

Is that good or bad?

(1.2TSI 105bhp DSG).

Sounds about right to me. Little on the low side, but as you say, you are never giving it a run which is where you see the mpg rise.

On mixed use and a few longer trips I'd say you could add about 10mpg to that figure without too much fuss.

We have the same engine/DSG in a Yeti which is heavier and has noticably worse aerodynamics and it averages 41mpg pottering about and 44mpg on a run.

I've just brimmed the 1.2tsi (manual box)I have on loan at the moment, 383 miles for 35.06 litres of fuel, which works out at 49.6 mpg! Slightly better than the trip computer saying 47.8mpg. I have a 20 mile commute, mixture of A, B roads and motorway. Not too bad me thinks.

My fabia hasn't impressed me a great deal MPG-wise.

I had a Cooper S and Lupo GTI before it. Combined MPG on the MINI was supposed to be 45 and 38 on the Lupo. To be honest both weren't far off that figure, especially the Lupo.

The Fabia 105 TSI DSG states 53, it doesn't fair any better than the Lupo and the MINI... I stuck £35 of fuel in it and got about 220 miles out of it. 80% of those miles were urban, the rest were dual carriageway.

All my cars seem to do 220 miles out of £35. I'll have to get an Aston Martin next :D

On a serious note- I love my Fabia. Great car in most situations!

My fabia hasn't impressed me a great deal MPG-wise.

I had a Cooper S and Lupo GTI before it. Combined MPG on the MINI was supposed to be 45 and 38 on the Lupo. To be honest both weren't far off that figure, especially the Lupo.

The Fabia 105 TSI DSG states 53, it doesn't fair any better than the Lupo and the MINI... I stuck £35 of fuel in it and got about 220 miles out of it. 80% of those miles were urban, the rest were dual carriageway.

All my cars seem to do 220 miles out of £35. I'll have to get an Aston Martin next :D

On a serious note- I love my Fabia. Great car in most situations!

Remember fuel prices are going up sharply all the time! I thought my economy was much worse than my Clio, but actually there's been another 5p on petrol since then and that has made quite a large difference on price per mile.

Assuming your fuel is about £1.36 p/l then your getting 40mpg there.

Yeah - despite the claimed 45mpg combined - I've been lucky to get 33 long term average.

Given petrol (98) is approaching £1.40 a litre - I'm finding it hard to justify the running. My wife wasn't best pleased when I told her my car was costing 180 a month to fuel (3 tanks a month, 1k a month miles)...

In my VRS I get around 40 through a tank and that's mostly around town and a duel carriageway with roundabouts/junctions roughly every mile.

Did a long motorway drive a month or so ago and averaged about 47, if I'm honest I expected alot less from it but then if I wanted an economic car I woul have bought a greenline

I think people are forgetting that the manufacturers mpg figures are for a single trip, not a long-term average. There is no way that my Fabia will average 53mpg over the whole tank. It will however give me 53mpg on a single trip if I drive economically. Or it'll do 35mpg if it's stuck in town.

This thread is showing me that I could afford to run a vRS, so all I have to worry about now is the cost to change to one. :)

1.2TSI(105)+ DSG Fabia Hatch, from new. 712 miles, 16.08 galls (brim to brim) = 44.27mpg. Running in, most local town/country, only 2 motorway (50 miles) journeys. Conservative driving, occasional burst of power for the hell of it :devil: . Very pleased so far :thumbup: .

regards

retiredbri

If anyone is interested in long term fuel consumption then on a 1.4 TDI since July 2007 I've spent about £6066 on fuel and covered around 64,000 miles. My maths makes that 0.094p a mile.

And whilst I'm looking at it the total cost of the car including purchase price, service, MOT, RFL, Insurance (and 1 claim), tyres and few other bits is currently around £13000.

Not such happy reading to consider I've spent nearly £20,000 primarily to get to work and back. On the plus side the car must still be worth a little something.

If anyone is interested in long term fuel consumption then on a 1.4 TDI since July 2007 I've spent about £6066 on fuel and covered around 64,000 miles. My maths makes that 0.094p a mile.

And whilst I'm looking at it the total cost of the car including

purchase price, service, MOT, RFL, Insurance (and 1 claim), tyres and few other bits is currently around £13000.

Not such happy reading to consider I've spent nearly £20,000 primarily to get to work and back. On the plus side the car must still be worth a little something.

Under 10p a mile not bad makes me feel a little better as I've the 1.4 tdi and the new crtdi ;)

• 5 weeks later...

1.2TSI(105)+ DSG Fabia Hatch, from new. 712 miles, 16.08 galls (brim to brim) = 44.27mpg. Running in, most local town/country, only 2 motorway (50 miles) journeys. Conservative driving, occasional burst of power for the hell of it :devil: . Very pleased so far :thumbup:

Now up to 1950 miles, 40% town, local urban stuff and 60% motorway with cruise control set to 70 and getting 44.5 mpg overal = 12p per mile for just fuel.

Very pleased I got the 1.2tsi with DSG :yes:

33mpg.

Mostly town/city driving, the odd 40mph zone etc, no motorway or 60mph jaunts.

Is that good or bad?

(1.2TSI 105bhp DSG).

How many miles have you covered overall? If it's not run it yet that sounds quite good mpg. But as yet, if you haven't given it a proper run and the miles are still quite low, then get it out on the country roads, dual carriageways otherwise it won't run it and will never give you good fuel economy or meet it's proper power output. You need to give it some proper work to do if you haven't already done so and get the engine internal temperatures up. Apologies if you already know that.

How many miles have you covered overall? If it's not run it yet that sounds quite good mpg. But as yet, if you haven't given it a proper run and the miles are still quite low, then get it out on the country roads, dual carriageways otherwise it won't run it and will never give you good fuel economy or meet it's proper power output. You need to give it some proper work to do if you haven't already done so and get the engine internal temperatures up. Apologies if you already know that.

Coming up to 8k on the clock now so past the initial run-in stage. Give it a good work out every week with some foot to the floor stuff. I think the mpg is low as I do a lot of city driving and I have to give the engine welly to get over this lag problem.