Bike rack

is a towbar or roof based one an option?

I had a 3 bike Thurle unit for my estate - I am guessing you have a hatch though due to the glass configuration of your rear window.

Just remember not to drive into any carparks with those low-entry things to prevent camper vans (and the like) in.

You could get a swan-neck towbar, as I believe some towbar carriers work with them. Then you get the added bonus you could pull a trailer with garden rush, etc in rather than having to put it in your nice car. I used to use the gf's Felicia for taking the cr@p to the tip, but after I dumped her, I had to use my own car :doh:

More expense upfront, but maybe more handy in the long run? Small box trailer and you could get a family load of bikes in it :thumbup:

Just remember not to drive into any carparks with those low-entry things to prevent camper vans (and the like) in.

You could get a swan-neck towbar, as I believe some towbar carriers work with them. Then you get the added bonus you could pull a trailer with garden rush, etc in rather than having to put it in your nice car. I used to use the gf's Felicia for taking the cr@p to the tip, but after I dumped her, I had to use my own car :doh:

More expense upfront, but maybe more handy in the long run? Small box trailer and you could get a family load of bikes in it :thumbup:

Try finding one for a reasonable price m8, I've been looking for months and all the ones I've seen are just too expensive for me.

Try finding one for a reasonable price m8, I've been looking for months and all the ones I've seen are just too expensive for me.

I fitted my own towbar, and I made a trailer from jetski trailer base I bought for £30. I only had to replace the bearings on the trailer (£10 each, iirc) and I picked up 3 more mini wheels from a local advert in the paper for a few quid. Result :thumbup:

I fitted my own towbar, and I made a trailer from jetski trailer base I bought for £30. I only had to replace the bearings on the trailer (£10 each, iirc) and I picked up 3 more mini wheels from a local advert in the paper for a few quid. Result :thumbup:

It was tow bar i was meaning, seen a few trailers but can't buy due to no tow bar lol

It was tow bar i was meaning, seen a few trailers but can't buy due to no tow bar lol

Mine is a TowQuipe (sp?) one I picked up new from ebay for about £60 (inc electrics & postage) from a trader. It even came with a replacement rear crash beam.

Have a look at the saris bones. Really excellent future proof. Ivan fit it to my fabia hatchback and also to the works transit connect. Really easy to use and folds flat. Is a bit more expensive but can carry 3 bikes. Can be adjusted as well to suit different cars and is completely plastic. Only thing I need to do was to insert rubber packing inside the clips as it would have been metal on metal when you attach to the boot etc

I've always used a bog standard Halfords carrier mounted on the back. It's lasted me years, has fitted any car I've owned and is simple to use. I can also vouch that they are good for over 100mph with three bikes on the back - autobahn on holiday of course. I have a Skoda roof rack too, but have never put bikes on it yet as the Halfords carrier works well.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have any advice about a bike rack for my Roomster 1.6 (07).

I inherited a bog standard 3 bike carrier (can't find make and model) and looked on Halford's website - they have a similar model to the one I have and say that it isn't appropriate for the Roomster.

Hoping to take bikes to France in August so would appreciate any help here.

thanks!

I've mounted a couple of towbar cycle carriers to customers cars at work and they seem a really good idea and mount onto swan neck towbars,

I believe volvo use thule so would imagine the ones in halfords are the same or very similar

I got one of these on offer n Hellfrauds last year http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_251011_langId_-1_categoryId_165477 think it was around £40. Used it for a few trips to Centre Parks and been fne each time, says carries 3 bikes but id say 2 adults and maybe a kids at a push.