What tyres to Choose.

i Have my tyres from costco as they are competitive when they have 20% off if you buy 4, they only do michelins and if you watch the instore video it shows why new tyres always go on the back. if you buy 2 new tyres they will rotate then so as new one are always fitted to the rear. the video showing the same car travelling at same speed and the one with worn tyres at rear break away midcorner and lost control. while new tyres at rear it shows the car understeer a bit but remain in total control

That is what ESP is for. ESP will probably be mandatory for all new cars soon.

Since 60% of braking is on the front it seems logical to put the better tyres on the front, espeically on a front wheel drive car. Back tyres are simply holding up the back end of the car I generally thought. Be interested to see a copy of that video. They have a depot at Star City in Brum I gather. Good to here they only do Michelins, sensible IMO.

That is what ESP is for. ESP will probably be mandatory for all new cars soon.

Since 60% of braking is on the front it seems logical to put the better tyres on the front, espeically on a front wheel drive car. Back tyres are simply holding up the back end of the car I generally thought. Be interested to see a copy of that video. They have a depot at Star City in Brum I gather. Good to here they only do Michelins, sensible IMO.

Watch the VBH video & michelin one then tell me Esp will prevent the rear breaking away.

I always have the newest and best tyres put on the rear.

Do not want to risk steering and drive being massively altered by going from "on the limit" tyres to brand new.

This idea was first thrown at me about 8yrs ago when I was buying new tyres and is now the recommended way of doing things (on FWD card of course) by all of the major tyre suppliers.

As to what tyres - my new vRS came with Contenental SC2's all around.

I've been impressed by their grip in both dry and wet conditions and the cabin noise is nearly non-existent.

So when I eventually need new tyres I will almost certain stick with Contenental's and I expect it will be the SC5 tyre which everyone sells by the time I'm looking.

I've Maxxis MAZ1 all round now. Quite happy with grip and wear rate for the price (£86 a corner fitted). A little noisy possibly but not as bad as the OEM Continentals.

Falken 452 get good review here but I've never tried them myself.

arent the maz1's a drift tyre?il be fitting the fk452's soon

Why not look at Barum? You can get a good deal on these from Tyreshopper.co.uk and National are their fitting centres. I have them on my Scout and used to have them on my wifes Ibiza. I have now just ordered a set of Barum Snovanis Winter Tyres for her VW t5. Barum are Czech and owned by Continental (in fact the tread pattern looks near enough identical to the Conti.