What tyres to Choose.

Just noticed that the rear tyres need repalcing.

They were on the front until I had the whole roadnoise issue, and when thye changed the rears, I put the fronts (had done 20k) on the back.

Now I need to change them, and not sure whcih brand.

I do mostly motorway, but have a low budget.

I tend to buy from event tryes. I dont know what the Yokohama are like. They are the most cost effective, or do I go for P6000's whihc I have had in the past (and are on the front) got bridgestone on the rear at teh moment.

Need to try and sort this today before I get nicked!!

Just noticed that the rear tyres need repalcing.

They were on the front until I had the whole roadnoise issue, and when thye changed the rears, I put the fronts (had done 20k) on the back.

Now I need to change them, and not sure whcih brand.

I do mostly motorway, but have a low budget.

I tend to buy from event tryes. I dont know what the Yokohama are like. They are the most cost effective, or do I go for P6000's whihc I have had in the past (and are on the front) got bridgestone on the rear at teh moment.

Need to try and sort this today before I get nicked!!

A low budget for something as important as tyres is not good.

Do you have a VRS? You might want to change your details thing on the left-hand side of your posts from 'peugeot' to what skoda you actually own.

Look here for reviews and links to lots of test data: Tyre reviews

Everyone has a different opinion on tyres based normally on whatever selection they have used themselves, so often not a wide comparison. I'm no different, however what I would say is that having used Continental Sport Contact 3's for years (and been happy), I've recently got some Uniroyal Rainsport 2's on my front wheels and can't believe the difference - quieter, more sure footed (especially at speed around bends where the conti's always felt 'jittery'), and of course massively good in wet conditions (and plenty of those in this country!). I shopped around and one of the cheapest places for them fitted was (surprisingly) Kwik Fit so long as you pay online and book into your local centre in advance - it was also the same low price for 1 or 4 tyres...

Have a look at some others Kuhmo, Hankook oh and always new tyres to the rear :thumbup:

What is the logic behind putting new tyres on the rear? I always put mine on the front.

What is the logic behind putting new tyres on the rear? I always put mine on the front.

Ok without me sounding rude or that but whats the logic for putting them on the front??

This actually explains things extremely well (once you get past the annoyance factor of the accent): new tyres on rear

However, there are other variables in that it depends quite how far the rear tyes are worn compared to the fronts and the fact that on front wheel drive cars of course the fonts wear a lot quicker (and awful lot quicker on a vRS!), so then you need to judge how quickly the new fronts (if you fit them there first) will still have the most tread if the old rears are not actually very worn to begin with - in other words it can be the case that it isn't really incorrect to fit new tyres to the front only if the rears have good tread (unless you are happy to swap them again with the rears relatively quickly after first fitting the slightly better new tyres to the rear first).

I've Maxxis MAZ1 all round now. Quite happy with grip and wear rate for the price (£86 a corner fitted). A little noisy possibly but not as bad as the OEM Continentals.

Falken 452 get good review here but I've never tried them myself.

Ok without me sounding rude or that but whats the logic for putting them on the front??

I've never really understood this line of reasoning...

How about the facts that the fronts do all of your acceleration, steering and 80% of your braking?

There always seems to be an assumption when people say "always put your new tyres on the rear!" that people are otherwise happy instead to keep borderline illegal tyres on the rear.

The point really is that a blanket statement like that is far too simplistic, and as Delacroix mentions there are other factors to take into account. There's also a fair few issues with the video Delacroix has linked to, which are highlighted in the comments it received.

I'd rather have the shortest stopping distance in emergency braking that comes from having the newest tyres on the front. That for me trumps potentially having to control a bit of oversteer.

Well i'll leave you guys to think that, but i wouldnt put new tires on the front always the rear but i doubt anyone on here would let tyres get to the legal limit we are to anal for that which is in no way a bad thing :thumbup::)

I'd rather have the shortest stopping distance in emergency braking that comes from having the newest tyres on the front. That for me trumps potentially having to control a bit of oversteer.

It's horses for courses. As everyone's different, the least you hope is that people have taken the pros and cons into consideration.

Personally I also fit the tyres with the most amount of tread to the rear, as understeer is easier to control than oversteer. On your post above, my thoughts are around which is easier to control - emergency stop or oversteer? I know what my answer is.

Of course all of this is made less clear now, with the advent of ABS, EBD, whether you have full ESP fitted etc etc.

Going back to the original question - what are you primarily expecting the tyre to do? What's your priority? Long life, or a grippy performance tyre? You say you're on a low budget - what's your figure per tyre?

Thank you for all your responses.

I was not on a budget, but also did not want to spend loads.

I am high motorway milage, and I drive an L&K auto.

As the tyres were illegal, I made a decision, and went for continental sport 3 whcih I had fitted this afternoon.

£117,00 each at Kwik fit.(strangely enough, cheapest I could find)

I would always put best on the rear, as it's quite easy in an emergency stop or avoiding a collision to get the back end out. especially in heavy rain, greasy summer roads or snow.

Thank you for all your responses.I was not on a budget, but also did not want to spend loads.I am high motorway milage, and I drive an L&K auto.As the tyres were illegal, I made a decision, and went for continental sport 3 whcih I had fitted this afternoon.£117,00 each at Kwik fit.(strangely enough, cheapest I could find)

Was that walk in price, or booked online?

It was the web price, however as i did not do it in advance, I used my laptop with 3G and booked it for next week. As they had the tyres in stock (which I already knew) they did them there and then.

They are nice guys at my local depot, and would go back again.

Personally I also fit the tyres with the most amount of tread to the rear, as understeer is easier to control than oversteer. On your post above, my thoughts are around which is easier to control - emergency stop or oversteer? I know what my answer is.

You miss my point. If the car won't stop in time in an emergency on the worn front tyres that do nearly all the stopping you're controlling a crash, not a stop.

Thank you for all your responses.

I was not on a budget, but also did not want to spend loads.

I am high motorway milage, and I drive an L&K auto.

As the tyres were illegal, I made a decision, and went for continental sport 3 whcih I had fitted this afternoon.

£117,00 each at Kwik fit.(strangely enough, cheapest I could find)

That's a good price for those tyres , I recently paid 150 for a conti sport 2 when I had a puncture.

You miss my point. If the car won't stop in time in an emergency on the worn front tyres that do nearly all the stopping you're controlling a crash, not a stop.

If you have worn tyres then your a fool, also there is a legal limit for a reason, i'm not saying its the best limit personally would rather see 3mm limit but with the current ABS, EBD and ESP you will stop intime.

I think its a debate that has personal opinions and thats fine, lets not get too heated over it though.

:):thumbup:

That's a good price for those tyres , I recently paid 150 for a conti sport 2 when I had a puncture.

That's what I thought. Normally use a mobile tyre firm, but they were about £8 a tyre more, and I would have to have waited until at least Tuesday, and was bound to have been pulled over knowing my luck.

Equally you don't want bad tyres on the rear breaking away in a way you can't feel or predict AA well as the fronts (wheel and break balance feedback)

Thanks for that and sorry if my question came over the wrong way. I have never considered putting new tyres on the back because in my own mind I was thinking, like many others it turns out, that my steering, braking and acceleration are all improved by having the best tyres on the front.

I can equally well see the other argument as unexpected oversteer does mostly tend to be a game-over situation unless one is 100% concentrated on ones driving. Most people I see on the roads are barely hitting the 50% on that scale.

On balance though and considering I don't drive on a public road anywhere near the breakpoint on traction then the oversteer/understeer dilemna is a far less likely scenario for me than needing to make the most of my brakes. Useful to know though, thanks.

I'm not saying its the best limit personally would rather see 3mm limit but with the current ABS, EBD and ESP you will stop intime.

I think its a debate that has personal opinions and thats fine, lets not get too heated over it though.

You might well not stop in time I'm afraid. If your front tyres lack mechanical grip all the gizmos in the world won't make you stop in the same distance you would on decent rubber.

Even worn to 4mm your stopping distance in the wet increases by 20%. Front tyres do most of the stopping. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

You are correct that its personal choice, and far be from me to try and persuade people to go against "official" safety advice.

Apologies if anything I've written sounded "heated" by the way, certainly not my intention.

• 5 weeks later...

I replace new for old whatever corner, I can't see the point in swapping unless you want to try to stagger the change intervals, i.e. avoid having to replace all four at once. Since the front wheels do most of the work, and rarely drive hard enough for oversteer to be an issue, especially in the wet then I would rather have the better, deeper treaded tyres up front. FWIW fitted some Uniroyals at the weekend, much better than the Nexen 6000 they replaced (though at around 1/4 worn on the rear work fine)

Juan27 is spot on - ABS and other anti skid systems rely on slip / stick braking to reach the optimum grip level jsut before full lock up. If you try braking on cie / snow you'll realise that it relies on the friction between the tyre and road. If a tyre has a low mu level, then no matter how many ant skid systems are fitted, it will take longer to stop, and lose lateral grip sooner.

i Have my tyres from costco as they are competitive when they have 20% off if you buy 4, they only do michelins and if you watch the instore video it shows why new tyres always go on the back. if you buy 2 new tyres they will rotate then so as new one are always fitted to the rear. the video showing the same car travelling at same speed and the one with worn tyres at rear break away midcorner and lost control. while new tyres at rear it shows the car understeer a bit but remain in total control