Is a towbar wiring loom needed ?

I'm after fitting a towbar, just for a towing a trailer, and wouldn't mind knowing if I can get away without fitting a dedicated wiring loom ?

I can get a towbar fitted for just over £200, but Indespension say I need to have the wiring loom aswell.. at an extra £200 !

I will never be towing a caravan and only want a single socket.

My car is a 2007 56 plate L&K Octavia estate if it helps.

Do I need the wiring loom. If not will I damage the car by not using one ?

Cheers all

Paul

+1 id like to know the same for my 2011 I only want to tow my motorbike on its lil trailer detachable towbar is my plan!

Just fitted my own towbar. I was only using it for towing a small trailer and abike rack so didnt bother with all the vehicle specific stuff.

fixed flanged towbar, wiring and bypass relay were £125 and after 1/2 a day of fiddling job done

I'd second that. I have a 2008 and I use a bypass relay. I fitted it myself and it has worked just fine since Novemeber last year.

I do know mine was advertised as CANBUS ready so pay attention to that. As far as I can see that means the relay can sense the differences in voltages that govern the fog/sidelight brake/sidelight combo and will light up the relevant trailer lights even though it doesn't have all the connections coming into it from sidelight, fog and brake loom in the car. (this simplifies fitting and is explained in instructions).

Going this route is a lot cheaper and simpler both in parts and labour - recomended.

If your car was newer with ESP and parking sensors then the dedicated wiring would work with the car but requires coding. It is worth noting that the additional power for caravans can be fitted later and is very much less complicated and does not need a car specific wiring loom either. (doesn't matter is the lights are bypass relay or dedicated)

HTH

:thumbup: There is nothing to stop you using a bypass relay box tapped off the rear lights for a trailer feeding a standard black 7pin socket as you would just pick up a pos feed to power the relay box, to go the full hog and have a dedicated 'control box' fed off the CAN bus is dearer and would need the car 'telling' it has a trailer box fitted so if the car was fitted with reversing sensors and a bolero radio it would appear on the display,if you were towing a caravan then you would need an extra 7pin 'grey' socket or a 13pin wired with extra supplys for battery charge and fridge. hope that explains - cheers - Stuart B)