Fuel pump failure mkII vRS TFSI

After being towed by the RAC to my local Skoda Dealership I was told that the good news was that they had found the problem and that the fuel pump had failed on my mkII vRS 2.0 TFSI. The bad news was that there was no UK stock and a "call" had gone in to Germany to request a new part. Germany has yet to respond so I am now car-less for an indeterminate period while the part is located.

My questions are:-

1. Is this a common fault on the vRS in general?

2. Why would something as basic as a fuel pump be out of stock in the UK?

3. Would a Skoda Dealership not normally go for second best and obtain a pattern part?

Hopefully I will hear later today with some good news. There is also the possibility of cannibalising the vRS on the dealer forecourt :rofl:

Yes it does and they have both.

If that's the case then I can only tell you the symptoms and maybe deduce which it is. When I next speak to the dealer I will ask.

The car starts without a problem and will happily tick over. It will pull away OK from cold. After a a short while when slowing for traffic or a junction with revs down to about 2,500 rpm the engine dies. It will start again by dropping the clutch or by turning the key off and on again. It is then difficult to keep running at low revs but is all but fine when pulling hard. Does this suggest the LPFP?

It is not uncommon for parts to be on back order, VAG recently had a problem with air con compressors being on back order and hundreds of cars were affected.

If your car is under warranty, Skoda will not use a pattern part and the cost for this cannot be claimed back if it is not a part available to order on their system. However, if your car if off the road then Skoda will often provide a courtsey vehicle as it is beyond your control. Speak with the dealer about the issue first and then contact Skoda UK if you need to. Both should be very good at sorting you out, but a courtesy car should at least be on the cards, especially for back ordered parts which force your car off the road :thumbup:

It is not uncommon for parts to be on back order, VAG recently had a problem with air con compressors being on back order and hundreds of cars were affected.

If your car is under warranty, Skoda will not use a pattern part and the cost for this cannot be claimed back if it is not a part available to order on their system. However, if your car if off the road then Skoda will often provide a courtsey vehicle as it is beyond your control. Speak with the dealer about the issue first and then contact Skoda UK if you need to. Both should be very good at sorting you out, but a courtesy car should at least be on the cards, especially for back ordered parts which force your car off the road :thumbup:

I have to say that I have no issue with the dealer and they are in the process of sorting out a car for me. They run 5 courtesy cars and all were booked out when my car arrived courtesy of the RAC. I'll wait to see what they have to say this afternoon.

we've got 3 of said pumps on order for different customers, only 3 dealers in the country had one in stock as of yesterday but these were already for customers, current eta for ours is the 30th of september

If that's the case then I can only tell you the symptoms and maybe deduce which it is. When I next speak to the dealer I will ask.

The car starts without a problem and will happily tick over. It will pull away OK from cold. After a a short while when slowing for traffic or a junction with revs down to about 2,500 rpm the engine dies. It will start again by dropping the clutch or by turning the key off and on again. It is then difficult to keep running at low revs but is all but fine when pulling hard. Does this suggest the LPFP?

Depends on fault codes but I have never heard of a LPFP failing, I have heard of an odd HPFP failing though but not too many.

Post up the cure for future reference please :yes:

If the standard pump is fooked, I would take this opportunity to fit a HPFP, Downpipe, Intake and stage 2 software......:devil:

May as well go stage 2+/stage 3 with the uprated HPFP. I believe JKM have stock at only £625 +vat ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you could all do with an update , even if its a bit belated.

Wednesday 24th August at 8PM, the owner of the dealership delivered a courtesy car to my door. Probably about a 45 mile round trip. Well above the call of duty. Very impressed.

Friday, 26th August at 8:30PM I got a call from the owner of the dealership to tell me the car was now fixed! They swapped the fuel pump over from a car that came in on part exchange. Fault still apparent on my car, not the part ex. They then swapped the fuel pressure regulator. Fault gone from my car but now very apparent on the part ex. Result!

I returned the courtesy car on the Saturday morning to collect my car. "No charge" I was told. "That's all covered under the warranty. Here are your keys sir. Please let us know if you have any more trouble". The car hasn't missed a beat since.

Praise where praise id due - Grey Gables Garage, Curbridge, Witney, Oxfordshire - I thank you.