Fabia vrs Juddering and ASR light on?

Fabia VRS, 110,000 miles.

I noticed something odd the other day, which has this afternoon become chronic. Under acceleration the other day, my car started juddering slightly as if the car was being intermittently starved of fuel. Subsequently, the car was feeling a bit gutless and not seeming to want to pull as it should.

I suspected perhaps a clogged fuel filter and replaced this and the car seemed okish. Just now, I've been out drive the car 4 or 5 mile, left it for 20 minutes or so and then came back to it. Almost immediately, the car started juddering under light acceleration again as if there was some kind of blockage. I took it onto a dual carriageway and applied fairly heavy acceleration where the car started juddering quite badly and the ASR light, (yellow skiddy car on the dash), came on and stayed on and the car continued to judder badly, even when not under acceleration and no pressing of the ASR button on the dash would clear the light. I pulled over, turned the engine off and back on and the ASR light was gone, but the car still continued juddering slightly under acceleration.

Obviously without seeing the car, would anybody have any idea what this might be? A bad sensor feeding wrong information back the ECU and cutting power to the wheeels? A disintegrating CV joint affecting the traction control system? A faulty ECU or DMF going west :( perhaps?

I've done a search, but haven't been able to find any descriptions of similar symptoms. A trip my garage in the morning is in order, but it would be useful to have some suggestions in the meantime as to what may be the problem?

thanks

Edited by Mark Pinder

I noticed something odd the other day, which has this afternoon become chronic. Under acceleration the other day, my car started juddering slightly as if the car was being intermittently starved of fuel. Subsequently, the car was feeling a bit gutless and not seeming to want to pull as it should.

I suspected perhaps a clogged fuel filter and replaced this and the car seemed okish. Just now, I've been out drive the car 4 or 5 mile, left it for 20 minutes or so and then came back to it. Almost immediately, the car started juddering under light acceleration again as if there was some kind of blockage. I took it onto a dual carriageway and applied fairly heavy acceleration where the car started juddering quite badly and the ASR light, (yellow skiddy car on the dash), came on and stayed on and the car continued to judder badly, even when not under acceleration and no pressing of the ASR button on the dash would clear the light. I pulled over, turned the engine off and back on and the ASR light was gone, but the car still continued juddering slightly under acceleration.

Obviously without seeing the car, would anybody have any idea what this might be? A bad sensor feeding wrong information back the ECU and cutting power to the wheeels? A disintegrating CV joint affecting the traction control system? A faulty ECU or DMF going west :( perhaps?

I've done a search, but haven't been able to find any descriptions of similar symptoms. A trip my garage in the morning is in order, but it would be useful to have some suggestions in the meantime as to what may be the problem?

thanks

I seem to remember reading threads about this in the past (er, I think?) on here. I'm sure someone who knows more will be along shortly :)

Before taking to garage, someone on here with VAGCOM/VCDS can probably help you out and save you a bit of money. Have a look and see if there's anyone close by you: http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/74720-list-of-vag-com-diagnostic-system-vcds-owners/

Do the rear brake lights remain on when you switch off the engine? If yes, it is the brake pedal switch. I had the same problem a while ago. Takes only a few minutes to replace.

thanks

My problem appears to be diagnosed.

It seems that the wiring loom that runs through the rocker box and controls the fuel injectors has broken down on the circuit that controls cylinder 1 injector.

This is a fairly common problem it seems, due to the loom having to live in a pretty hostile environment. The cost of the loom is not too bad, around £50, plus around an hour's labour. Fingers crossed that this is the problem, as the loom won't be fitted till tomorrow, but this is what the symptoms and diagnostics are pointing to.

Edited by Mark Pinder

My problem appears to be diagnosed.

It seems that the wiring loom that runs through the rocker box and controls the fuel injectors has broken down on the circuit that controls cylinder 1 injector.

This is a fairly common problem it seems, due to the loom having to live in a pretty hostile environment. The cost of the loom is not too bad, around £50, plus around an hour's labour. Fingers crossed that this is the problem, as the loom won't be fitted till tomorrow, but this is what the symptoms and diagnostics are pointing to.

Your PM to me Mark was spot on re the wiring loom. The Skoda tech I go to used his VCDS and it spotted cylinder two had a problem. Rocker cover off and the faulty loomed was tested with a meter which strangely showed that a current was in fact passing trough the defective loom. Next news it my be the injector its self that was a butt clenching moment when the are nearly £500 pound a piece, thank goodness he had a secondhand one if I needed it and a hell of a lot cheaper than £500. Anyhow took the first option to change loom and all is well.

Edited by rallysnapper

• 3 years later...

Sorry for brining this thread back up I know its from 2011 but this is all the symptoms my car is showing,

Could anyone tell me witch loom that anyone is relating to in this thread is it relating to this part of the loom http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/genuine-vw-injector-wiring-loom-for-vw-1-9-2-0-8v-tdi-pd-engines.html

thanks

I suspected perhaps a clogged fuel filter and replaced this and the car seemed okish. Just now, I've been out drive the car 4 or

5 mile, left it for 20 minutes or so and then came back to it. Almost immediately, the car started juddering under light acceleration again as if there was some kind of blockage. I took it onto a dual carriageway and applied fairly heavy acceleration where the car started juddering quite badly and the ASR light, (yellow skiddy car on the dash), came on and stayed on and the car continued to judder badly, even when not under acceleration and no pressing of the ASR button on the dash would clear the light. I pulled over, turned the engine off and back on and the ASR light was gone, but the car still continued juddering slightly under acceleration.

Obviously without seeing the car, would anybody have any idea what this might be? A bad sensor feeding wrong information back the ECU and cutting power to the wheeels? A disintegrating CV joint affecting the traction control system? A faulty ECU or DMF going west emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif perhaps?

thanks