Auto lights not great upon start

There have been reports that bright sunshine can randomly activate the light sensor.Some believe it's deliberate as headlights in low lying sun can help you to be seen; others think it’s just the sensor getting confused.

I think it's deliberate, as all VAG cars do it, as well as other German brands like Merc's. You certainly notice cars in sunshine with their lights on, or certainly I do whilst eating up motorways.

Not necessarily, it's just not to my taste so want to stop it. If not for anything else, for saving the bulb life of my xenons!! Lol!

Xenon bulbs have a high lifespan before they start degrading. Several members have hit over 100k or 5 years before the light starts to go blue indicating nearing end of life.

Yes you can change this, it´s given to you by % correction and if it´s blue or green glass.

And it´s only one option for the Octavia, you can change % correction by choosing other models available ( golf,leon, others)

I have tried this but got worse.

I once wrote about this, not daylight activation though, but if its dark enought to turn on lights why won´t the CH/LH come on after stopping or entering the car.

• 4 months later...

Let me answer that one for you...

"They all do it sir".

Yep, They do

They also turn on at 100 mph & stay on until you have driven for a while at less than I think 40, obviously if this anoys you as well slow down :giggle:

• 10 months later...

@AshGSmith

I know this is late in the day, but I've been hunting around on this forum for ages trying to find an answer to this issue. Love the auto lights, but feel like a right pillock driving into the sun with the them on. The DRLs are bright enough during the day, so it's not asking much for the auto lights to work (automatically) :think:.

It normally happens 1st thing in the morning for me. I notice they will stay on for up to 30mins or when the car gets up to temp. It doesn't make sense 'cos they work fine when in dimlight, bad weather, tunnels, underground car parks, et al...

I had the Skoda people look @ it twice, when it went in for a service. But tbh I don't think they had a proper look at it. I have tried searching the web on this topic, but most roads lead str8 back to Briskoda.

Has anyone got any recommendations on this. Now that I've found someone else with the same issue, I no longer feel it's an isolated issue. :wait:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

I was about to ask a similar question until I found this thread. My car is at the dealers today for investigation (though I never got the "it's quite normal" response).

Most of the time the auto lights work fine, but on a couple of occasions, neither of which was I driving quickly, the lights came on and the map display turned to night - on a clear day!

Not surprisingly I suspect the sensor on the screen (which incidentally is clean).

I can sort of understand lights coming on in very bright sunshine, to help make the car more visible, but I doubt this could apply in my case.

I simply wondered if anyone had come across this and had it resolved.

Hopefully I'll be able to post an answer later... :wait:

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

I was about to ask a similar question until I found this thread. My car is at the dealers today for investigation (though I never got the "it's quite normal" response).

Most of the time the auto lights work fine, but on a couple of occasions, neither of which was I driving quickly, the lights came on and the map display turned to night - on a clear day!

Not surprisingly I suspect the sensor on the screen (which incidentally is clean).

I can sort of understand lights coming on in very bright sunshine, to help make the car more visible, but I doubt this could apply in my case.

I simply wondered if anyone had come across this and had it resolved.

Hopefully I'll be able to post an answer later... :wait:

Now I've had the "it's perfectly normal Sir". Seems the car makes it's own decidions as to when to light up, all checked out OK. Oh well, now at least I know what to expect.