It's here at last 1.8 DSG Elegance

HarryP

So last Sunday I picked up my lovely new Superb. It’s a 1.8 DSG Elegance estate (or combi,) bought on the no VAT offer all the way back in March.

All in all it’s a great car, compared to my old Passat SE 1.8 TDI 140 it’s a much nicer car.

Based on my motoring history Nissan Micra, Ford Fiesta, Hyundi Coupe, Renault Laguna, VW Touran, VW Passat it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. I had expected my next car to be a VW or Audi, and you could argue it is, the last time I looked at a Skoda, they made good cars, but not this good.

I have to say my supplying dealer was not the best, but I did only really deal with one guy. I had been to other dealers that couldn’t match his price but they had much better customer service.

Pros

Love the Columbus, love the Bluetooth audio from my IPhone, it plays just about anything that has sound through the Apple Airplay system. (See the Apple airplay ads on the TV) The SD card full of music is just fab, I don’t think I’ll ever have to put a cd in the car. The whole unit means I don’t need a TomTom stuck to the window, buttons and a display from my phone kit, and an AUX lead from my Phone to play music, it’s so much neater. In fact one week in I’ve not plugged any thing into the cig lighter, let alone had to break out the 3 x adapter. The touch screen understands ‘touches’ better than the Jaguar one did. I didn’t know the system had voice control, its great.

The Bi Xenons and cornering lights are a bit creepy, but really good to drive with. I keep seeing them move and think another cars behind me. The Coming home lights are great, but 30 secs is not long enough to unload and get the kids out.

DSG is really smooth, we are getting used to each other quite quickly and it’s a great way to drive.

The boot is great, much better than the saloon on the Passat

And as I’m 6 foot 3, and most of that is legs, I can get my seat wayyyy back and not cripple the kids, the memory seats are great too.

PDC setup is a great help (I have front and rears) I still looking for a spot to try the park assist.

Cons

I’ve spent a fortune on car wax and LED bulbs.

I Know I need to run it in but the MPG is really low at the moment, based on 167 miles, 100 of which are short stop start trips I’m getting 20 mpg from the optimistic MDF, which is less than 400 miles from a tank. Also the tanks a bit small for a big car, it should really be 70 litres IMO.

White may end up been a real pain to get clean, I’m seeing tar spots and little discoloured spots based on the first week alone.

I was really fond of the auto hold in the Passat, and the auto hand brake, I think the Superb’s handbrake is in an odd position to use in traffic if you have the arm rest forward.

The middle arm rest is really nice and soft, the drivers door arm rest, not so soft, it feels like an over sight.

The DSG makes it tricky to get up my drive, it’s a slope and I find I either roll back or fly forward, I think the handbrake will help, because I have the hill hold function left foot braking doesn’t really work on a hill.

Really petty point here, but some of the buttons and trim aren’t fitted perfectly, they are a little proud, were others are nice and flat.

The pros out weigh the cons by a mile, I only listed a few to keep this post short(ish)

I would have liked a pano sunroof and the electric tail gate, I would have ordered the vari boot floor if I’d have know what is was, but non of these things cause me any real inconvenience so maybe next time… huh

All in all it’s a great car, I think of it as the Audi I could never afford and to everyone who keeps saying its basically a Passat.. no it’s not.. I’d take this over the Passat any day. The new Passat has some cool toys, but its not as big and didn’t drive as well.

If you read all that you can treat yourself to the pics of my freshly washed and waxed Superb!

dsc0452fp.jpg

dsc0455o.jpg

dsc0457h.jpg

dsc0459e.jpg

dsc0462f.jpg

dsc0464s.jpg

Great review and really interesting as I just picked up almost the same car yesterday 1.8tsi dsg elegance combi, but in steel grey.

Like you I would of liked the panoramic roof or even a normal sunroof and the biggest regret was not gettin the variable floor in the boot.

I'm surprised about the mpg. 120 miles in mine and I'm showing 36 mpg on the mfd. Mix of journeys, some local and some dual carriageways.

How are you finding the seats. Im 6'2" and think the seat could of done with being another 2-3" higher. But maybe it will mould itself to me soon.

Lovely car and tremendous value for money.

You will find the 1.8 TSI and 7 speed DSG a majical combination. It will take a few thousand miles to bed itself in and then you should get 450 to 500 miles on a tankful even with non-granny driving. Knocking mine in to Neutral down long hills can often add 2 or 3 mpg on some journeys (on the MDI anyways).

I will dearly love to change to the Superb petrol but cannot choose which one. The 1.8 TSI is about half a second slower to 60 in the Superb than the Octavia and about 4 mpg worse so even the bigger tank does not give me a greater range. The 200 hp TSI is similarly quick as my 1.8 TSI Octy but the MPG is much worse at around 8 mpg less though it has got the lovely 4 pipes (optional or standard I cannot tell, standard in the UK I think) and then there is the 3.6L, ticks boxes of DSG, 4 wheel drive and the quickest of all Skodas but that fuel consumption, ouch! It is not the fuel consumption on its own as I have a company fuel card but the crazy low range between fill ups ie less than 350 miles I guess?

Diesels are just too dull, slow accelerating in the Superb and Octavia, shame they do not do the 6 cylinder diesels again.

Think you have chosen the pick of the bunch. And white, the new black which was the new silver!

Come on Skoda, lets have some of the more advanced TSIs ie VVT 4 cylinder TSI, 5 cylinder TSI, 6 cylinder CRs and the 7 speed wet DSG!

Edited by lol

I'm intrigued by the Apple Airplay through the Columbus... care to share a few details, can't say I've tried it

This might help, some times pairing fails first time and works the second time.

Edited by HarryP