anyone tried carbon fibre wrap

lee1972

i dechromed my Audi using wrap from ebay. Wasnt particuarly challenging although you need a VERY sharp knife (i got one from a craft shop), and a lot of patience.

Have a go, its easy to remove if you make any mistakes.

3m di-noc stuff is good, looks better than the actual real carbon fibre wrapped stick surround and ashtray lid that i have ironically

I was thinking of doing this instead of the paint I currently have. Is it better than paint for stone chips? I currently find the painted grille a PITA and want a permanent solution but I would use black wrap.

I brought some of this yesterday and it turned up on my doorstep this morning . Do you have to use soapy water and a heat gun and go along with it ?

Nah. Just a hairdryer/heat gun and a sharp knife.

I've still got some 15year old shiny stuff lying about somewhere that didn't require any more than heat.

Even the 3M di-noc I got the other week feels quite thick and stiff until you heat it up a little, and it's amazing just how pliable it is with a little heat. In the middle of doing mine at the moment (just the ashtray left to do when I can be arsed to remove it :giggle: ). Looks great with a little persistence.

All the creases go away with a little heat, and a little patience. Don't be afraid to rework what you've already done.

As for the grill on mine, I'd rather go matt black. I think the raw style carbon fibre wraps like the di-noc kinda look a little silly externally, and I'm really not sure how well it will weather compared to the glossy versions.

How about centre console trims (stereo/ashtray/gearstick). Anything is better than the standard spotty silk screened monstrosities.

done them on mine looks better and the window switch surround

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Edited by lee1972

I like that lee mate . The window switchs looks smart . Better then the plain black . Was thinking about the centre piece but not 100% sure but if you do the window switchs the centre piece has to be done IMO .

I like that lee mate . The window switchs looks smart . Better then the plain black . Was thinking about the centre piece but not 100% sure but if you do the window switchs the centre piece has to be done IMO .

thx didnt take as long as the grill

worth a try can always take it off again if you dont like it

done the bit round the gaiter to so all matches now

just deciding whats next think wing mirrors would be to hard to do

was thinking of the

front pillars

inside door handles

bit round the light switch and dimmer

maybe bonnet cover the chips and scratches not brave enough yet though

That looks very good Lee.

what site did you get the wrap from??

cheers

got it from ebay £80 free post for 1.52cm x 10m

this was the first bit i brought just to try it

and its the same make as the 10m

got it from ebay £80 free post for 1.52cm x 10m

this was the first bit i brought just to try it

and its the same make as the 10m

Some questionable feedback left for that supplier. :|

Did you go for the bubble free or normal version?

Some questionable feedback left for that supplier. :|

Did you go for the bubble free or normal version?

normal seemed fine to me

only done the grill and stereo surround and ashtray in that

but for £3.99 and enough to do them and a laptop cant moan for the money