Leather or not.

Hi all. made an order yesterday for an octavia estate 1.4tsi elegance in anthracite... Thanks go to Jon for pointing me in the right direction. (I know you will read this sooner or later)

Very pleased with my choice, and added MFSW and bluetooth as well as a few other bits.

Starting to seriously think I should have spec'd it with leather seats. I may give the dealer a call tomorrow to change it.

Any opinions one way or another..? £1200ish seems an expensive addition.. but planning on keeping the car for many years, and also have two children both under the age of two.

The standard seats look good, but I will miss the leather that is in our current car.

Also can someone let me know the difference between full leather and alcantara. It does not seen clear on the Skoda website.

Thanks all.

Charlie

I have the alcantara trim on my car. The centre part of the seat and backrest are suede rather than leather and are therefore a bit warmer to the touch in the winter and possibly cooler in the summer. Another reason for my choice was the fact that the full leather was far too light whereas the alcantara was dark, very useful with children on board

Grimpatt

We had to have Alcantara in the Scout, had leather before in the previus Skodas & have it in the Nissan & Abarth. I really now wish leather was an option in the Scout at the time as I really miss it, Also see what else it includes as it may make the 1200 seem better value, ie may have heated seats

Re leather colour we had tan in the L&K & it was by far the easiest to keep looking clean, darker colours always show up dust & dirt far more than dark colours

I have the full leather option on my Octy vRS.

Really pleased I went for it, really does feel nice quality.

Is it worth £1200?

Well I was buying during the "VAT Free" deal, so it worked out a little less.

With the savings on the actual car it meant I could afford a lot more options.

Leather seats with the heated option will be nice during those cold winter months.

I have the full leather option on my Octy vRS.

Really pleased I went for it, really does feel nice quality.

Is it worth £1200?

Well I was buying during the "VAT Free" deal, so it worked out a little less.

With the savings on the actual car it meant I could afford a lot more options.

Leather seats with the heated option will be nice during those cold winter months.

The vRS Leather upgrade is only £850 normally so no it wouldn't be worth £1200 :giggle:

But fully agree it is definately a good option to have and i got it on mine. Was quite impressed with the quality for the price.

From the Skoda web site it says it includes heated seats but check with the dealer

Full leather upholstery (inc. heated front seats) - leather and artificial leather

Link here http://www.skoda.co.uk/gbr/newcars/octaviaestate/equipment/Pages/default.aspx change car spec at the top to elegance & themn scroll through the window at the bottom for extra equipment

Edited by Stuart_J

I personally love my leather on mine. Is it worth it......something only you can answer but I do not regret spending out for it. But if you do opt go for heated seats for the winter.

My uncle has the half leather alcantara on his L&K its nice, either way its a nice place to sit.

I won't have leather seats again, too hot in the summer (I sometimes had to put a towel down for my children's legs) and even although they are heated in the winter they are really cold to sit on until they heat up (which ain't fast tbh). With young children they will be easier to keep clean though.

I purposely chose not to spec leather this time and have used scotchguard to treat all my seats, they are blooming waterproof and stain proof now !

Hi all. made an order yesterday for an octavia estate 1.4tsi elegance in anthracite... Thanks go to Jon for pointing me in the right direction. (I know you will read this sooner or later) Very pleased with my choice, and added MFSW and bluetooth as well as a few other bits.

Starting to seriously think I should have spec'd it with leather seats. I may give the dealer a call tomorrow to change it.

Any opinions one way or another..? £1200ish seems an expensive addition.. but planning on keeping the car for many years, and also have two children both under the age of two.

The standard seats look good, but I will miss the leather that is in our current car.

Also can someone let me know the difference between full leather and alcantara. It does not seen clear on the Skoda website.

Thanks all.

Charlie

Went for Alcantara (suede) rather than Leather on my L&K as the same price ie nothing on the L&K ie in with the spec but it does not suffer the hot in summer, cold in winter leather does but still wipes clean easy. Leather was quite light in the L&K option where as Alcantara is a dullish black but still looks smart. Still pleased with the choice 9 months on and that is wish temperatures being between -20C and +30C.

Hi again all. Thanks for the replies. been given a build date already for my car (week 42) so only have a couple of weeks to make any decisions on changes.

Does anyone out there have any clear pics of their Octavia leather seats I can have a look at please? (not VRS).. just the upgrade from standard to leather in a non vrs octavia. (same if anyone has a pic of the seats with alacantra)

I'd be interested to see what they look like before buying them, and there are no decent pics on the skoda website.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Charlie.

Hi again all. Thanks for the replies. been given a build date already for my car (week 42) so only have a couple of weeks to make any decisions on changes.

Does anyone out there have any clear pics of their Octavia leather seats I can have a look at please? (not VRS).. just the upgrade from standard to leather in a non vrs octavia. (same if anyone has a pic of the seats with alacantra)

I'd be interested to see what they look like before buying them, and there are no decent pics on the skoda website.

Charlie.

I'll try to take some tomorrow. PM me your email address and I'll send them (so they'll be bigger than I can post on here). I'll take them tomorrow as I'm trading in on Monday. Half leather half alcantara is great and the heated seats heat up really very quickly - it was minus 18 here in Jan and Feb and I never had them cranked up past 1 as they got so hot. :smirk:

The vRS Leather upgrade is only £850 normally so no it wouldn't be worth £1200 :giggle:

But fully agree it is definately a good option to have and i got it on mine. Was quite impressed with the quality for the price.

The leather option is £850 odd because they deduct the already added in price cost of the standard seats and they are not the cheapest of seats in VRS so the real cost isn't really the £850 id think if you tried to order them now as with many things they would cost more .

I ditched leather option after I saw the new standard seats and liked them better leather non heated in winter is criminal.

+1

Not heated. They soon warm up in Winter or cool down in Summer. Very happy.

Have had heated leather before. Pointless IMO. Turned it on for a few seconds and then off very quickly. I don't find hot seats comfortable.

Enjoy your new car!

Charlie.

Best is to ring round your local dealers & see who has got one, you may well find one s/hand or they may know someone who has recently bought one they could ring & see if you can take a peek, always better than piccies. Ive done it when trying to choose a colour & the dealer borrowed a customers car for me to see on a Saturday morning, didnt like the colour but it cost me a few other extras I hadnt considered

Edited by Stuart_J

The leather option is £850 odd because they deduct the already added in price cost of the standard seats and they are not the cheapest of seats in VRS so the real cost isn't really the £850 id think if you tried to order them now as with many things they would cost more .

I ditched leather option after I saw the new standard seats and liked them better leather non heated in winter is criminal.

The vRS upgrade is still £850 as of this morning on the Skoda Website.

The standard seats in non vRS are not poor quality at all. I test drove a 1.8TSi which had standard cloth seats in when i was deciding wether to get another vRS or not. They were just as comfortable as the vRS and felt the same quality.

On my L&K i had the Black Leather/Alcantara heated seats and they were very nice and as they were electric the lumbar support was fantastic. My only gripe with the vRS (apart from no 4x4 :D) is that you can't spec Electric seats. But i haven't given up hope and im currently on the look out for an L&K set that i can retrim and retrofit ;)

£1200 is a lot of extra money. However, with a young child myself I'm so glad I've got leather in mine as the cleaning is just so easy - from melted chocolate to occasional sick! I guess other than a big scotchguard treatment (with regular top ups) a cheaper alternative would be to get a seat cover for the back seats for the kids (loads on ebay) - easy to wash/clean, keeps the original seats in good nick, cheap. The disadvantage is that it wouldn't look as good and depending on your needs would be a pain if you need to regularly use the split seats for extra luggage space, but all things considered I'd go for a after-market cover and spend the £1,200 saved on other more worthwhile activities!