1.9 130 pd L & K

heli195

Hi all. have just sold my 04 mint fabia vrs, very sad day, looking for new car due to arrival of baby and fabia not very good with prams lol. have found a 1.9 130 pd octavia estate L n K. 53 plate with 91000. has had new cam belt at 75k and looks a very tidy clean car. asking 4295 for it.

what do people think, good car to have???? any common faults i need to look out for..

any advice would be much appreciated

cheers

rob

Was the water pump replaced when the cambelt was changed?

Check all the electrics operated from the drivers door work (mirror adjustment, heating, electric windows, alarm flashing LED when door lock/stops flashing when unlocked).

I can't really comment on the price though.

Also.... If it has an extensive service history and drives spiritedly, smoothly, and without knocks/bangs it should be fine. Handling is safe but unrewarding. Brakes and traction off the line are good. I've run a '53 one to the same mileage over the last 5 years and only had to replace 1 lower arm in all that time in addition to standard servicing. I'd value my hatch version at £2k BTW, but I'm not selling. Estates make a bit more. But not that much! You might find the insurance more expensive than the vrs too.

about 3 1/2 years ago I paid 7500 for my 53 plate pd130 L&K which had 46k on it. If its from a Skoda dealer and comes with a decent warranty then I'd say its ok, maybe a touch high.

I've had no problems whatsoever with mine except a couple of minor ones, brake switch failure (which gives you a glow plug warning on the dash!) and a xenon headlights levelling motor which stuck.

Other than that, just check that when its serviced it gets the right VW spec oil and you'll be really happy with it. I'm closing in on 125000 miles on mine now and still running well. Goes well when you put your foot down and I still got an indicated 69 mpg on a 380 mile round trip on Sunday.

On my 110, I changed the shocks and anti rollbar bushes around 80-90k miles, now at 177.5k and still going strong. I replaced the rear beam bushes about 5k ago (to cure a tyre wear issue).

Check alternator belt for squeal/groans (the freewheel might have failed) which can then cause the aux tensioner to break, so if the service history shows a replacement tensioner then their may be underlying issues.

We picked up a PD130 Elegence hatch very recently for £2.7K on 97K miles. Full main dealer history inc cambelt/pump. Also recently had a DMF + lots of over work over it's lifetime.

However, I've spent £200 on parts which I'll be fitting this weekend to bring it right up to my standards;

Aux belt tensioner

Alternator pulley (very very common issue on PD130 at this mileage)

New engine skid plate + fixings

New engine side cover + fixings

front and rear skoda badges

Alloy hub centre caps

New battery clamp + fixings (old one v corroded)

Touch up paint Stick (one or two untreated stonechips)

Paint/lacqur set (for spraying parking sensors when I fit them)

New spare key (only got one)

IMGP5845.JPG

about 3 1/2 years ago I paid 7500 for my 53 plate pd130 L&K which had 46k on it. If its from a Skoda dealer and comes with a decent warranty then I'd say its ok, maybe a touch high.

I only paid £6.6k 5 or 6 years ago! The asking price is way too high, prices have hit the floor, you can get a decent face lift for what they're asking.

On my 110, I changed the shocks and anti rollbar bushes around 80-90k miles, now at 177.5k and still going strong. I replaced the rear beam bushes about 5k ago (to cure a tyre wear issue).

Check alternator belt for squeal/groans (the freewheel might have failed) which can then cause the aux tensioner to break, so if the service history shows a replacement tensioner then their may be underlying issues.

Had the same on mine replaced when second cambelt done at 101k miles , also aircon rad fan siezed at about 90k miles , and the brake light switch weas replaced about a month ago at 130k miles , replaced rear brakes and discs at 120k and the fronts are still original with at least 6 more months of life , regular 20k miles per year , get good 55mpg and even up to 60 mpg on the right run . Keep up with regular oil changes long life plus mid change as well Garage siezed the sump plug on service at 60k and had to replace the sump for me at there cost . Just had third set of 4 new tyres Vredestein fitted . original battery gave up last winter after 6 years ,

Edited by johnmb

cheers for all responces guys. have parted with my hard earned cash this morning. viewed car and its an absolute mint not a mark on it inside or out. previous owner has had it from 10k to 90k. drove very well and felt very tight. failed mot on blowing cat but being replaced with new and i get to pick up car on thurs. all bushes felt tight, (very used to changing rear wishbone one on vrs as it ate them) no telltale knocking from anti roll bar ones and it pulls like a train.. over all im a happy bunny good 3 month warrenty covering all major part and electrics. will post some pics when i get chance.

cheers again for responces

rob

Is it the L & K model?

As you know its the same engine as the fabia vrs and added bonus of the 6 speed gearbox on the 130PD.

Did the same as you and sold our mint Fabia VRS and bought a mk1 Octy L&K 1.9 130PD. Much more flexible for a family.

Sounds like a very similar service history but ours had done over 110K. Being the L&K the susspension wasnt what we were used to but overall it drove very well. No issues at all really. We have since had it serviced and checked over and nothing to report. Needed a new battery a few months back but nothing else wrong (touch wood) so far. Had an issue with the xenons but that turned out to be something to do with the headlights resetting to a low beam pattern when plugged in to the dealers computer. Took it back and it was sorted. Now as good as they should be. I paid £2.5k for a private sale. Will also consider updating the susspension sometime in the near future and getting some winter wheels.

I remapped the fabia to stage 1 and the difference was well worth it. Much smoother drive and improved fuel. I would recommend it (I used Shark)and will consider getting the octy done when funds allow.

Nice car and good choice.

Being the L&K the susspension wasnt what we were used to but overall it drove very well.

The wallowing nature on ours was significantly reduced by fitting Koni FSDs, without it making the ride any less comfortable.

Had an issue with the xenons but that turned out to be something to do with the headlights resetting to a low beam pattern when plugged in to the dealers computer.

When we got it as a 6 year old car the dipped beams seemed dim -- the very sharp xenon cut-off causing a problem with nearside visibility -- so I got standard replacements from Powerbulbs and they were noticeably brighter.

When we got it as a 6 year old car the dipped beams seemed dim -- the very sharp xenon cut-off causing a problem with nearside visibility -- so I got standard replacements from Powerbulbs and they were noticeably brighter.

You mean new D2S units? I just looked at powerbulbs, they only seem to have 6000K bulbs?