312mm rear brake upgrade.....Done!

The weight isnt an issue unless your racing!

There are no issues with the clearence with the bigger disc but as yet ive not had chance to fit a spider to the final set up just to be sure but i did on the mock up and it was fine.

Im was just trying to think of how much room there is between the edge of the caliper and the spokes on a spider!

I measured it intially and i cant find the paper and ive not got a spider here as im not at home!

Can anyone tell me how much room is between the caliper and wheel with a psider fitted?

Im talking about the inside face of the wheel, the spokes and the outer edge of the caliper!

Just want to confirm that everything will be ok with fitting a spider with this braket as the caliper does moves out towards the wheel a bit.

Like i said i fitted spiders on the mock up but not on the final bracket!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only negative I can see is a disadvantage to unsprung weight as the disk will be heavier.

As the rear disk is only 22mm compared with 25 for the front, any possible caliper issues with this extra 3mm?

no issues with the extra 3mm thickness apart from it does take away some of the space inside the caliper carrier!

So you only get a mm either side!

And what i found it fitting the brakets they can rub on the disc but thats because they arent exactly square and a tap with a nylon hammer and they square up ok and fit true

Would these fit on a Fabia mk1 / mk2 :)?

iirc the Fabia 1 requires some kind of adapter to fit the Golf/Octavia rear caliper

Probably best to ask that question in the Fabia 1 area

If the car is then setup to have the Golf/Octavia rear caliper, then this mod should work too

Only negative I can see is a disadvantage to unsprung weight as the disk will be heavier.

As the rear disk is only 22mm compared with 25 for the front, any possible caliper issues with this extra 3mm?

The new carrier and bolts have weight too ...

tbh the overall added weight shouldn't be much - my guess would between 300g - 500g per side ?- maybe less ...

Doesnt give more braking force as such as the caliper pad area and so on are the same.

But because your moving the caliper out using a bigger disc it gives more torque.

Sorry, but you are so very very wrong, you can't just increase brake torque without also increasing brake force.

Increasing a brake disc dia without compensating by reducing brake fluid pressure or brake caliper piston size will increase actual brake force applied to the wheel.

Its comes down to a simple calculation;- Torque (or moment of force) = Force x distance (F1 x a)

In addition, all vehicle braking systems are subject to type approval and should not be altered using non approved parts without knowing the full implications of what the effect/s there will be to the vehicles overall braking balance, performance and functioning/balance of the ABS system.

IMO anyone who carries out this idiotic mod will (in the event of an accident) most prob find out there insurance is void.

Bill.

Increasing a brake disc dia without compensating by reducing brake fluid pressure or brake caliper piston size will increase actual brake force applied to the wheel.

Those were my thoughts too, it will effectively increase the bias of the rear brakes. I think the stock brakes are perfectly adequate for road use, I've never reached the limit of my brakes on the road before in the VRS nor any of the other cars I've owned. The standard VRS brakes should be more than up to the job for road use with good fluid and good pads.

Sorry, but you are so very very wrong, you can't just increase brake torque without also increasing brake force.

Its comes down to a simple calculation;- Torque (or moment of force) = Force x distance (F1 x a)

In addition, all vehicle braking systems are subject to type approval and should not be altered using non approved parts without knowing the full implications of what the effect/s there will be to the vehicles overall braking balance, performance and functioning/balance of the ABS system.

IMO anyone who carries out this idiotic mod will (in the event of an accident) most prob find out there insurance is void.

Bill.

I would really keep to myself!!!!

But thanks for your input anyway

Edited by dannyboy759

Those were my thoughts too, it will effectively increase the bias of the rear brakes. I think the stock brakes are perfectly adequate for road use, I've never reached the limit of my brakes on the road before in the VRS nor any of the other cars I've owned. The standard VRS brakes should be more than up to the job for road use with good fluid and good pads.

Its not about being up to the job! its about how the car feels!

You drive a 1.1 Fiesta and then jump into an Audi R8 for example and i fail anyone to be impressed with the way it stops as well as it goes!

Thats like saying you dont need 400BHP as you cant use it

Because you can only drive 70mph!!!

If you see what im getting at?

The fact of the matter is ive seen more problems with cars with the wrong pads on than putting slightly bigger discs on the rear!

For example;

A mate of mine while i was in Germany had an E30 M3 and he decided to fit the car with Group N pads that were designed for endurance racing and things like nurburgring 24hr!

Anyway he got these pads from BMW motorsport(Turned out they were Pagid RS19's) in Munchen and then fitted them to the M3.

But what he didnt realise that the brake system on the standard road car couldnt deal with the increase in friction from the race pads and it played havoc with the ABS and the bias

As Group N cars run a different abs control unit!

Anyway just throwing stuff together isnt the answer but if you do make something and it works you can argue with the facts and its not about driving pedal to the metal all the time, if at all its about individual taste and preference.

so 312mm front brakes on a vRS are no better than the 288mm front brakes on a non-vRS Octavia? same caliper, same pad just a bigger disk...

Thats not quite true IIRC. Different altogether.

Yes, it's that simple. Bigger disk, same caliper and pad. Moving the caliper further out increases increases the braking force.

Exactly the same principle applies to the rears.

Might be worth noting that this mod wouldn't be sensible if you're stilling running a OEM front brake setup - think this is a mod for those with 4+pot front calipers and 323+mm discs

This kind of response annoys me!

Well lets see if I can do a little better with this one then ???

I have re-read all your comments in this post and have got to hand it to you.... you can Bull $hit until the cows come home, in fact I'd say you are one of the very very best on here :thumbup:

The comments and answere's you have made refrence this unapproved brake kit, and also comparisons you have made to the size of the brake disc's fitted other vehicles braking systems proves you have little or no automotive engineering ability, and no nothing about testing and certification of safety critical vehicle components and systems.

My advice to you is, dont mess with things you know nothing about and put your own and other road users safety at risk.

My advice to anyone reading this is, keep safe do not buy into the OP's Bull $hit driven approach to engineering, at least not for use on the public road.

Bill.

Works great with OEM and 4 pots!

Tested them both

Do you mean 312 up front, and 312 on the rear ?

If so, cann't help thinking upgrading the rears only is not a good idea - could lead to backside overtaking the front on apex braking

Theoretically the bias controller would reduce pressure to the rear to compensate - but that then asks the question why only upgrade the rears ?

This modification is no different to the CMB0045 330x20 (vented) upgrade kit sold by Compbrake, or the CMB0998 330x12 (unvented), which use the respective OEM calipers.

All the OP is doing, irrespective of whether he's using 'correct' engineering terminology or not, is making a cheaper & smaller version of the Compbrake kit

Sorry to have to take issue with your attitude, but it seems to me your taking issue, just to take issue.

Well lets see if I can do a little better with this one then ???

I have re-read all your comments in this post and have got to hand it to you.... you can Bull $hit until the cows come home, in fact I'd say you are one of the very very best on here :thumbup:

The comments and answere's you have made refrence this unapproved brake kit, and also comparisons you have made to the size of the brake disc's fitted other vehicles braking systems proves you have little or no automotive engineering ability, and no nothing about testing and certification of safety critical vehicle components and systems.

My advice to you is, dont mess with things you know nothing about and put your own and other road users safety at risk.

My advice to anyone reading this is, keep safe do not buy into the OP's Bull $hit driven approach to engineering, at least not for use on the public road.

Bill.

Ok mate!

Think want you want to!

Ive made these for my car as i wanted to make a big brake kit and i knew, thought at the time i could do it cheeaper and not every kit has to have alloy bells like the Compbrake kit and Tarox kits

I understand what you are saying about saftey and that was taken on board.

I have a very good idea about automotive engineering!

If you dont like it keep yourself to your self stay out of things YOU obviously dont understand

no ones forcing you to have these brakes its not a forum requirement! lol

Just let the ones that like it, like it! and the ones that dont, dont!

This modification is no different to the CMB0045 330x20 (vented) upgrade kit sold by Compbrake, or the CMB0998 330x12 (unvented), which use the respective OEM calipers.

All the OP is doing, irrespective of whether he's using 'correct' engineering terminology or not, is making a cheaper & smaller version of the Compbrake kit

Sorry to have to take issue with your attitude, but it seems to me your taking issue, just to take issue.

I was thinking just the same!

i'm not getting involved in this...all i will say is to be fair to Bill (VRS180) he does know his stuff and has made some very valid technical posts in the past, more than many other members here!

The point of a forum is to air opinion...which is what he did

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...