Finally and just in time for the new plate .......

malazan2

At long last I can claim to be a Skoda driver. Well almost. My Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 Tdi CR 170 4x4 Elegance will be delivered to my door on Monday morning and I should be able to judge whether it's hype or excellence. I ordered just before Christmas. Rosso Brunello. A few options including variable floor, electric boot, heated front windscreen, heated washer nozzle, boot net, floor mats, auto dimming mirrors, spare wheel and cuddly toy. If it's of interest I'll post photo's. I'll be judging it directly against top of the range Passat Estate and Honda Tourer, plus a tiny , new Clio diesel estate I've been running around in for the past month.

At long last I can claim to be a Skoda driver. Well almost. My Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 Tdi CR 170 4x4 Elegance will be delivered to my door on Monday morning and I should be able to judge whether it's hype or excellence. I ordered just before Christmas. Rosso Brunello. A few options including variable floor, electric boot, heated front windscreen, heated washer nozzle, boot net, floor mats, auto dimming mirrors, spare wheel and cuddly toy. If it's of interest I'll post photo's. I'll be judging it directly against top of the range Passat Estate and Honda Tourer, plus a tiny , new Clio diesel estate I've been running around in for the past month.

You will love it. Post some pix.

Enjoy!

Phil

It's too early for a detailed feedback, way too early. But a few initial thoughts. And photo's soon.

1. The car looks great in Rosso Brunello. Two colours really. A deep colour that contrasts fantastically with the chrome. And a lighter, more metallic red when the sun hits it. Beautiful.

2. It is very smooth over road bumps and poor roads. Solid.

3. The colour will need regular washing which I don't mind but dust does gather.

4. Interior with dark leather is classy and lightened by lighter upper half of interior.

5. The voice on the Columbus sat nav system drives me mad. I guess I can change her though. It's a fine system and wonderful sound quality from my SD card and radio.

6. Sorry Skoda-Man but the gears are smooth changing.

7. The electric boot is fast enough for me and a must-have.

8. I have no idea why I paid a tidy sum for the nets. The delivery driver thought they came as standard.

9. I only reached speed once when over-taking a bus on a narrow country road and when it was needed the power kicked in just fine.

10. Honest to goodness I can't see what all the fuss is about the carpets. Maybe it's a wear thing so I'll get back on this one. But they look fine with the mats.

11. The lights are spectacular on a dark country road this evening. Utterly wonderful.

12. There's space aplenty in the car, certainly length ways though it's a little narrower than my Honda Accord. Same for the boot.

13. Not sure how I'll make full use of the retractable boot floor.

14. It steers very precisely which I like.

But early days. And no motorway driving yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I promised a pic and here it is. Sorry for the delay. I've just mastered the art (I hope) of file hosting for free. The car looks best from the front in the sun. However, this is on dull Yorkshire day but it was on the first drive out with my new baby. I'll upload other views if requested. I'd also like to retract the comment I made above about the nets. Having used them across the boot, I have to say they neatly organise the combi boot and look impressive too.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=m431hb7idg4x0zc&thumb=6

Shucks, Purplesweetie, you just have to ask. In fact I only have two more and they are not satisfactory but....

http://www.mediafire...48l6kdm&thumb=4

http://www.mediafire...hzj374q&thumb=4

Very nice. I would think about fitting mudguards. Cheap but a must IMO.

Phil.

It's too early for a detailed feedback, way too early. But a few initial thoughts. And photo's soon.

1. The car looks great in Rosso Brunello. Two colours really. A deep colour that contrasts fantastically with the chrome. And a lighter, more metallic red when the sun hits it. Beautiful.

3. The colour will need regular washing which I don't mind but dust does gather.

Rosso Brunello does indeed look fantastic IMO - but ONLY when clean, I have seen a couple of dirty Rosso Brunello Superb Combi's and they looked awful emoticon-0106-crying.gif

5. The voice on the Columbus sat nav system drives me mad. I guess I can change her though. It's a fine system and wonderful sound quality from my SD card and radio.

Not sure you can TBH?

6. Sorry Skoda-Man but the gears are smooth changing.

Not all DSG's are smooth either - the one I test drove certainly was not :thumbdown: (so I bought a manual)

7. The electric boot is fast enough for me and a must-have.

:thumbup:

8. I have no idea why I paid a tidy sum for the nets. The delivery driver thought they came as standard.

No net's come as std (unless they have changed this for MY12 vehicles? not seen it mentioned anywhere though)

10. Honest to goodness I can't see what all the fuss is about the carpets. Maybe it's a wear thing so I'll get back on this one. But they look fine with the mats.

I think this has more to do with being called 'carpet', felt would of been more accurate :thumbdown:

11. The lights are spectacular on a dark country road this evening. Utterly wonderful.

:thumbup: and if anyone is in doubt how good the Bi-xenon's are in the Superb then take a look at them, Skoda have even put their opinion of them on the front indicators :giggle:

Rosso Brunello does indeed look fantastic IMO - but ONLY when clean, I have seen a couple of dirty Rosso Brunello Superb Combi's and they looked awful emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Not sure you can TBH?

Not all DSG's are smooth either - the one I test drove certainly was not :thumbdown: (so I bought a manual)

:thumbup:

No net's come as std (unless they have changed this for MY12 vehicles? not seen it mentioned anywhere though)

I think this has more to do with being called 'carpet', felt would of been more accurate :thumbdown:

:thumbup: and if anyone is in doubt how good the Bi-xenon's are in the Superb then take a look at them, Skoda have even put their opinion of them on the front indicators :giggle:

I paid £90 before discount for the nets. I'm now tempted to say they are worth it especially when submerged in the overall purchase sum and given the neat brackets that slide where exactly I want them. And I agree, those with an aversion to washing a car should steer clear of this colour. But with the sun on it's worth the time cleaning. Also the bright bit of chrome and aluminium are brought out to perfection by the darkness of the bodywork. And one feature I should add is the bright aluminium on the internal facia - I nearly bought wood veneer and I'm glad I didn't now.