Replacing Projector headlamp bulbs

SlowBloke

I bought a 2010 Fabia yesterday. It has projector headlamps so it has H7 bulbs in them. I can't work out how to get the bulbs out. The handbook says twist the bulb and connector to the left (anti-clock viewed from the back?) but I can't get them to move and am afraid of breaking something.

I want to fit higher output bulbs (halogen but with a xenon gas filling so more light for the same watts). The standard bulbs seem a bit weak and watery. It's the dipped beams I want to improve as these are on most of the time round here and stay on when the mains come on adding to their output.

Any advice would be appreciated

SB

Hi they are very tight you are correct you turn them towards the passenger side. I got the Passenger one ok but my Drivers side was a bit of a struggle due to the fuel filter in the road. I ended up using a pair of pointed nose pliers to reach in.

when turning it try to push in at the same time.

I finally changed the bulbs!

As my car has the 1.6 diesel engine, the fuel filter is right behind the headlamp unit on the driver's side. So I undid the 3 bolts holding it down in order to get at the dipped bulb on that side. It was a bit of a job to get one of the bolts back in as the air conditioning pipes are directly above the bolt hole and I wasn't going to take them off!

The nearside bulb could be changed at the side of the road, but the offside one would be a struggle unless you have unusually small (and strong) hands.

The lamps need lining up so that's the next job. The headlamp units have a plastic plug in the top with an Allen key socket in it so I am assuming that this is the adjuster.

SB